INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No sound playing to a DAC [Solved]  (Read 3984 times)

mazekl

• Recent member
No sound playing to a DAC [Solved]
« on: May 17, 2013, 08:32:46 am »

First post from a long time lurker, but I need real help this time.  And for you folks who read Computer Audiophile, please excuse the crosspost - I'm simply out of ideas and am hoping someone in one of the forums can help.

I built a CAPS v3 Lagoon yesterday. The build went smoothly. Installed Win8 32 bit and drivers for MB (including audio) & USB, installed JRiver. Machine boots and performs everything I've asked of it with one exception.

When I play a selection in JRiver, the software sees it and plays it to the zone I asked it to use (Player). But I'm getting no sound, which is the whole point of a Lagoon. I know CAPS can see the DAC (a Gungnir), and I'm certain the DAC knows about CAPS too, because it emits an audible click every time CAPS goes away, for a reboot as an example.

I've played around with all of the settings in JRiver. My old music server just played out of the box to the Gungnir when I selected Player, the CAPS simply won't.

I was up all night with this issue, so I'm getting pretty frustrated and I really need some help.  >:(

Thoughts?  ?

Thanks,
Kirk
CAPS Lagoon –>Cat7–>CAPS Zuma (or Oppo transport)–>Elijah AudioIsolate CU USB (or Jon Risch DIY Digital IC)–>PS Audio NuWave DAC–>Grover Audio ICs–>Belles Audio PreAmp–>Grover Audio ICs–>Marchand Audio XM44 Crossover–>Jon Risch DIY IC's–> Edge Monoblock Amps–>Jon Risch DIY Speaker Cables–>Aerial Acoustics 10t Speakers (and twin Paradigm Servo Subwoofers) Powered by a PS Audio Power Plant Premier

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: No sound playing to a DAC
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2013, 08:43:10 am »

Can you get any sounds from Windows/Control Panel/Sounds?

Did you select the device in Audio settings in MC?

The click you hear may be electrical, and doesn't confirm that the DAC is an audio device visible to Windows.

Try the wiki here for more ideas.  Start at Audio Setup.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2013, 08:57:36 am »

It looks like the Schiit drivers have ASIO support (though I don't know if it applies to all products) so I would try using that as your audio output from Media Center.

mazekl

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2013, 09:14:55 am »

Can you get any sounds from Windows/Control Panel/Sounds?

Did you select the device in Audio settings in MC?

The click you hear may be electrical, and doesn't confirm that the DAC is an audio device visible to Windows.

Try the wiki here for more ideas.  Start at Audio Setup.

I'll try these great ideas this evening, but especially the "sounds" idea is a great one.  That will tell us where the problem really is.

Thanks,
Kirk
CAPS Lagoon –>Cat7–>CAPS Zuma (or Oppo transport)–>Elijah AudioIsolate CU USB (or Jon Risch DIY Digital IC)–>PS Audio NuWave DAC–>Grover Audio ICs–>Belles Audio PreAmp–>Grover Audio ICs–>Marchand Audio XM44 Crossover–>Jon Risch DIY IC's–> Edge Monoblock Amps–>Jon Risch DIY Speaker Cables–>Aerial Acoustics 10t Speakers (and twin Paradigm Servo Subwoofers) Powered by a PS Audio Power Plant Premier

mazekl

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2013, 09:18:53 am »

It looks like the Schiit drivers have ASIO support (though I don't know if it applies to all products) so I would try using that as your audio output from Media Center.

I've tried ASIO, WASAPI, WASAPI Extended (I'm away from the server right now - not sure of this name), and Direct.  No sounds in any of those.

How do I know that "Player" is pointing at the Gungnir?  All I can figure is it doesn't know the Gungnir is even there.

Thanks,
Kirk

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2013, 10:07:22 am »

I've tried ASIO, WASAPI, WASAPI Extended (I'm away from the server right now - not sure of this name), and Direct.  No sounds in any of those.

How do I know that "Player" is pointing at the Gungnir?  All I can figure is it doesn't know the Gungnir is even there.
Under Tools > Options > Audio > Output Mode Settings, you should be able to select the device it's sending audio to.

You may also want to go to the Sound section of the Windows Control Panel, and set the Gungnir as the default audio device.

mazekl

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2013, 12:47:17 pm »

Under Tools > Options > Audio > Output Mode Settings, you should be able to select the device it's sending audio to.

You may also want to go to the Sound section of the Windows Control Panel, and set the Gungnir as the default audio device.

I'm convinced this is not a JRiver issue, because I can't even get Windows sounds to play to the analog out jack.  But I'd still like to hear from any of you folks, because I don't know enough about Windows to isolate the issue.

I've set the default device to the setting "Realtek Digital Sound" and also to "Speakers", neither one worked.

Thanks

Kirk

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2013, 01:09:04 pm »

What connection are you using to the DAC?
Realtek Digital Sound would be your motherboard's built-in soundcard, and not the DAC. (if it's connected via USB)

mazekl

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2013, 01:25:09 pm »

What connection are you using to the DAC?
Realtek Digital Sound would be your motherboard's built-in soundcard, and not the DAC. (if it's connected via USB)
Yes it's connected by USB.  The unit has both onboard USB's and USB's on a separate card.  I've tried both and neither works.  And the analog out isn't working either, so I'm pretty sure it's a low level issue.

Thanks, Please keep trying, 'cuz I'm out of ideas.

Kirk

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2013, 01:31:03 pm »

The device may not be recognized by Windows.  Did it come with a driver?

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 01:39:18 pm »

You may need to install the drivers, which are available here: http://schiit.com/drivers/

It might also benefit you to simply disable the on-board sound via the BIOS, so that there are no other sound devices on the system. (it might make it easier to identify, and avoids the possibility of sound being sent to the wrong device)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 01:41:05 pm »

It says here that drivers are downloadable:
http://schiit.com/schiit-faq/about-gungnir/

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 01:41:51 pm »

It might also benefit you to simply disable the on-board sound via the BIOS, so that there are no other sound devices on the system. (it might make it easier to identify, and avoids the possibility of sound being sent to the wrong device)
That shouldn't be necessary.

« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2013, 01:47:26 pm »

That shouldn't be necessary.
I didn't mean to imply that it was - just that only having a single sound device on the system makes things a lot more foolproof.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2013, 01:53:16 pm »

With the Schiit DACs you will see two devices for it listed in sound properties. One called Speakers and the other SPDIF Out. The one you want to select as default is the Speakers if you are using the USB connection.

mazekl

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2013, 01:56:48 pm »

You may need to install the drivers, which are available here: http://schiit.com/drivers/

Well, that was AN issue, the drivers weren't installed.  But still no sound.  This has to be an OS or even lower level issue, but, as I've indicated, I'm lost.

Kirk :(

mazekl

• Recent member
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 02:07:30 pm »

I didn't mean to imply that it was - just that only having a single sound device on the system makes things a lot more foolproof.

SOLVED!!!  I disabled the onboard sound in the Bios and when I rebooted, I got Windows sounds.  Then I fired up JRiver and Magic happened.

Go figure??

Thanks,
Kirk

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 03:08:42 pm »

Did you reboot after installing the driver?

Thanks to 623 and others for finding the problem.

mazekl

• Recent member
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 01:16:14 pm »

Did you reboot after installing the driver?

Thanks to 623 and others for finding the problem.

Yes I did, that was not the solution.  The problem was that Windows was playing all sounds to the sound card.  Because the sound card had no speakers, I didn't know it was doing that.  If 623 hadn't suggested disabling the sound card in the BIOS, I'd still be stuck.  Thanks 623!!

Kirk

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: No sound playing to a DAC [Solved]
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 01:18:59 pm »

With MC, you can target a specific device using Options > Audio > Output mode settings...
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

bivan

• Recent member
Re: No sound playing to a DAC [Solved]
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 03:26:32 am »

You can also asign a different name for the audio device in Win7 for easier identification: right click the windows speaker icon in the notification area - playback devices - double click the device in the list - change the name in the new pop-up window, just above the change icon button.
Pages: [1]   Go Up