INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HTPC - Win7 And MC - How to set up for minimal interference?  (Read 17508 times)

Vocalpoint

• Citizen of the Universe

All,

Finally have the HTPC rolling in the media room but find that numerous issues are preventing us from really enjoying what MC can bring to the room. I am currently struggling with the following:

1. Relentless errors from MC - on finding the server library at start-up. I consistently get Error Loading Library.

I am thinking now that this may have a lot to do with Windows 7 and how it enumerates (and activates) it's hardware - specifically the network interface at first boot. My theory is that when Win 7 boots - it goes thru a number of routines - loading this and loading that - until it finally gets around to loading it's network interface.

Considering I have my HTPC set to auto-logon AND to auto-start MC at boot AND I am running this PC from a super fast SSD - the machine boots and logs in so fast that when MC starts - the network just isn't there yet to actually "talk" to the server - hence this error. I am also seeing a message now about the OS being unable to reconnect my shared drives - which is another clue that the network is simply not "there" yet.

Has anyone found a way to ensure the network "is there" when MC starts up?

2. Media Center Remote - is kind of working. The buttons seem to do their thing - but I am looking for some guidance on what buttons on the remote - matter - and what they do. Also - if I go to Tools-Options-Remotes and try to step thru the wizard there - even with my remote attached - I consistently get a message stating that I do not have  Media Center remote attached...any ideas what's going on here.

Also - is there a button to shutdown MC (or start it) from the Windows 7 desktop (if I am forced to go there?)

3. Finally - what state are you leaving your HTPC in after you have watched a movie and are done for the night? Do you sleep the PC? Shutdown? Leave MC running? I have tried a number of things including leaving MC in Theater View but whenever I switch the input away from HDMI2 (My PC) on my Pioneer Elite AVR - the HDMI handshake process simply never lets me "return" to seeing MC on screen. I always have to shut off my Samsung TV and turn it back on - and even then it takes about 30 seconds to get a picture back on screen.

I am really trying to minimize the hassle of letting anyone "see" the Windows desktop on this PC since there is no mouse or keyboard - and I am moving towards a JRemote scenario very soon - where I was hoping I could ensure HDMI2 is active on the AVR, MC (Theater View) is there and then simply select an album or movie and enjoy.

But these ongoing stoppages, error messages and so on are making it impossible to enjoy this thing - it's nothing but tech support all the time :(

Look forward to hearing baout your experiences with using MC on your HTPC...

Cheers,

VP

bv1pacb

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: HTPC - Win7 And MC - How to set up for minimal interference?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »

2. Media Center Remote ... if I go to Tools-Options-Remotes and try to step thru the wizard there - even with my remote attached - I consistently get a message stating that I do not have Media Center remote attached...

Same here.  Using the JRiver remote, all of its standard functions work well, but I can't get past this step to allow programming of the TV set top box.  Version 18.0.189 and 64-bit Win 7 with MC server running and WMC disabled.  Tried individually disabling MC Remote and HID settings.  Tried on another PC with identical Hauppauge 2250 tuner.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2013, 04:07:17 pm »

All,

Finally have the HTPC rolling in the media room but find that numerous issues are preventing us from really enjoying what MC can bring to the room. I am currently struggling with the following:

1. Relentless errors from MC - on finding the server library at start-up. I consistently get Error Loading Library.
Wasn't that solved with the automatic configuration settings (and upgrading to IE 10)?

I am thinking now that this may have a lot to do with Windows 7 and how it enumerates (and activates) it's hardware - specifically the network interface at first boot. My theory is that when Win 7 boots - it goes thru a number of routines - loading this and loading that - until it finally gets around to loading it's network interface.

Considering I have my HTPC set to auto-logon AND to auto-start MC at boot AND I am running this PC from a super fast SSD - the machine boots and logs in so fast that when MC starts - the network just isn't there yet to actually "talk" to the server - hence this error. I am also seeing a message now about the OS being unable to reconnect my shared drives - which is another clue that the network is simply not "there" yet.

Has anyone found a way to ensure the network "is there" when MC starts up?
The shared drives is "normal". I hate it too but Windows is "quick" connecting the drives, making the drive mapping without actually checking whether the source is available or not. I've been searching for a way to not have it do it like that but I've come up blank. A long time ago you could actually tell Windows to not quick connect. You'd risk it would take ages if the server was down but at least you had a choice.

I don't think your issue has to do with starting MC too soon; the network stack is initialized before the user session starts so its typically active before you're even able to login. If you don't auto load MC, restart the pc and let it sit on the desktop for a minute. Do you see the network icon with a yellow exclamation mark temporarily? That would give an indication whether your local network or internet is not available. If you start MC manually, does it connect?

Also - is there a button to shutdown MC (or start it) from the Windows 7 desktop (if I am forced to go there?)

From the Theater View Main menu, the last option, Exit/Quit/Shutdown/Sleep.

3. Finally - what state are you leaving your HTPC in after you have watched a movie and are done for the night? Do you sleep the PC? Shutdown? Leave MC running? I have tried a number of things including leaving MC in Theater View but whenever I switch the input away from HDMI2 (My PC) on my Pioneer Elite AVR - the HDMI handshake process simply never lets me "return" to seeing MC on screen. I always have to shut off my Samsung TV and turn it back on - and even then it takes about 30 seconds to get a picture back on screen.

I typically shut it down but sometimes I let it just sit in whatever screen its in because I'm lazy. If sleep was working properly I'd probably always leave it on but for some reason I can't get sleep to work reliably. It wakes up seconds after its gone to sleep and I can't seem to get that resolved.

I am really trying to minimize the hassle of letting anyone "see" the Windows desktop on this PC since there is no mouse or keyboard - and I am moving towards a JRemote scenario very soon - where I was hoping I could ensure HDMI2 is active on the AVR, MC (Theater View) is there and then simply select an album or movie and enjoy.

But these ongoing stoppages, error messages and so on are making it impossible to enjoy this thing - it's nothing but tech support all the time :(

Look forward to hearing baout your experiences with using MC on your HTPC...

Cheers,

VP

Well, I'm sorry you're having so many troubles mate. I control my AVR with an ipad app (Denon) which has my TV connected to it. HTPC is set to auto start/auto login and start MC in Theater View mode and this works most of the time. Sometimes I get a black screen I'm guessig because HTPC starts with no screen connected and sometimes MC crashes coming out of sleep. But by far, most of the time I can sit down and enjoy whatever I want to watch or listen. Auto import works beautifully too so all my new series and movies get imported properly most of the time.

Just hang in there buddy, you'll get it where you want it its unfortunate you have to run into these issues, I know how frustrating it can be.

Vocalpoint

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2013, 04:46:39 pm »

Wasn't that solved with the automatic configuration settings (and upgrading to IE 10)?

To a degree it is. But only if MC has already been started at least once and then shutdown and then fired up again - I am generally good there.

But when I cold boot the box, have it auto logon to Windows and then have MC auto load to Theater View - the error is there 100% of the time. So trying to enjoy even a "test" movie (I haven't showed any of this to the family yet - my wife is going to snap if she sees MC throwing an error on the Windows desktop) - is a complete PITA. Then I am constantly having to try and poke around with the MC remote to select the " Retry" button on this error dialog all the time.

If you don't auto load MC, restart the pc and let it sit on the desktop for a minute. Do you see the network icon with a yellow exclamation mark temporarily? That would give an indication whether your local network or internet is not available. If you start MC manually, does it connect?

I get no indicator of any network failure once the box is up and stable. And yes - if I start MC manually - as mentioned - my Error Loading Library errors are generally done.

From the Theater View Main menu, the last option, Exit/Quit/Shutdown/Sleep.

I was actually wondering about the remote itself. Is it possible to manually start MC from the Windows Desktop - using the Remote?

Well, I'm sorry you're having so many troubles mate. I control my AVR with an ipad app (Denon) which has my TV connected to it. HTPC is set to auto start/auto login and start MC in Theater View mode and this works most of the time. Sometimes I get a black screen I'm guessig because HTPC starts with no screen connected and sometimes MC crashes coming out of sleep. But by far, most of the time I can sit down and enjoy whatever I want to watch or listen. Auto import works beautifully too so all my new series and movies get imported properly most of the time.

Yes - it has been taxing on me. Especially since most of the causes are a total mystery and takes so much time to troubleshoot. I will keep at it - hopefully get some good news soon.

Cheers,

VP

dean70

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:34:04 pm »

I was actually wondering about the remote itself. Is it possible to manually start MC from the Windows Desktop - using the Remote?

Yes you can - assign a hotkey to the MC shortcut in Explorer and assign the key as a remote function (I used Ctrl+alt+m), setup as a function in imon as a desktop function. It does not interfere with MC when running which has a different function on the remote for this button.

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2013, 08:17:13 am »

But when I cold boot the box, have it auto logon to Windows and then have MC auto load to Theater View - the error is there 100% of the time.

Yes.  Two things:

1. Make sure your Network drivers are up to date.  Realtek onboard LAN ports do this sometimes (are slow to come up fully), but I've had newer drivers fix it.  Alternatively, get a better LAN device.  The Intel ones don't do this, and are generally less troublesome.

2. Delay the auto-launching for a short while.  You can do this easily by using the Task Scheduler to do the auto-launching instead of other mechanisms.  Note that you can type a number into the Delay by X field to delay by a custom number of seconds.  So, set your task to launch on login, but delay it by 30 seconds or so, and you should be set.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2013, 09:07:55 am »

Yes.  Two things:

1. Make sure your Network drivers are up to date.  Realtek onboard LAN ports do this sometimes (are slow to come up fully), but I've had newer drivers fix it.  Alternatively, get a better LAN device.  The Intel ones don't do this, and are generally less troublesome.

2. Delay the auto-launching for a short while.  You can do this easily by using the Task Scheduler to do the auto-launching instead of other mechanisms.  Note that you can type a number into the Delay by X field to delay by a custom number of seconds.  So, set your task to launch on login, but delay it by 30 seconds or so, and you should be set.

Glynor,

Thanks! This has been bugging the crap out of me this week....

1. This new HTPC box (as does all out machines) uses the Intel(R) Gigabit CT Desktop adapter - one that has been tried and true for us for a long long time.

2. I am certain this issue remains a Windows 7 problem and your Task Scheduler idea is exactly what I am considering. I still think that MC is firing up as per normal but in an "order" that is ahead of Windows having the network interface initialized. Hence the error. I know I am really close on this - because I also get a "Could not connect all of your network drives" message at boot as well....indicating to me that the network is not "all there" yet.

Question - if I create a "task" to launch MC - instead of letting MC handle it per the Tools-Options-Startup area - obviously I need to set the "Tools-Options-Startup" item in MC to "nothing"?

I see that MC records this as

"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Media Center 18.exe" /Boot

Do I need the "boot" in the "task" as an optional parameter?  Or just call it as

"C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\Media Center 18.exe"

For a "client" PC?

Is there a comprehensive list of the switches that can be used with Media Center 18.exe

Cheers!

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up