INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Newbie - Optimising JRiver for audio  (Read 5688 times)

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
Newbie - Optimising JRiver for audio
« on: May 23, 2013, 09:23:21 am »

First of all, hi everyone. I'm very new to JRiver and have just gotten my "audio server" up and running.  I am only interested in running the purest, cleanest audio (both stereo and multichannel).  I won't be using any of the other features of JRiver although some look quite cool.

My question relates to optimal settings in JRiver.  I'm setup to run stereo via ASIO.  I've also chosen to load the full song into memory.  Are there any other settings with regards to playback I should focus on?

Cheers

JJJ

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Newbie - Optimising JRiver for audio
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 09:46:22 am »

Welcome.  You could read the Audio and Audiophile topics on the Wiki.   ASIO is preferred.  The memory play feature makes no difference, but audiophiles often like to use it.

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:29:00 am »

Thanks.  I've been though, I believe, most if not all of that.  I have ASIO setup for stereo.  I am in the process of setting up a zone for multichannel via HDMI which I believe has to use WASAPI. I have this 'server' (mobo and Juli@ XTe card awaiting a full multi-rail linear power supply) plugged into a rather expensive system (Theta Casablanca III HD, Egglestonworks Andra and Rosa speakers, Krell amps etc). I'm wanting to make sure I'm not missing a beat with any of the other MC settings (buffers etc).  My head of IT has minimised Windows 7 on the server.

PS:  I've also been studying my room acoustics with REW and dropping in various treatments. I can generate equalisation filters in REW.  I've not found a good guide as to how to load these filters and use them in JRiver.  I'd appreciate any pointers in the right direction.

PPS: I should add that my day-to-day computer is a Mac and I'm utterly useless when it comes to messing with Windows - hence soliciting the help of my IT guy.  If there is a checklist to optimising Windows 7 I'd be interested to see that also so I could run it past my IT guy.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 10:39:27 am »

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 10:42:07 am »

Read it and the threads it linked to but unfortunately (unless I missed something) it didn't really help at all. Maybe I need an idiot's guide.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 11:54:20 am »

First of all, hi everyone. I'm very new to JRiver and have just gotten my "audio server" up and running.  I am only interested in running the purest, cleanest audio (both stereo and multichannel).  I won't be using any of the other features of JRiver although some look quite cool.

My question relates to optimal settings in JRiver.  I'm setup to run stereo via ASIO.  I've also chosen to load the full song into memory.  Are there any other settings with regards to playback I should focus on?

The discussion focused on convolution but your original question was more general.

It might help if you described the hardware a(and OS) you are using.  In particular, how is the audio getting out of your PC and into the rest of your gear?  (analog output from onboard sound, SPDIF digital output, USB output to a DAC, etc.)  If you are using a DAC, specify the make and model.

Bill

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2013, 11:55:58 am »

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2013, 12:06:03 pm »

The discussion focused on convolution but your original question was more general.

It might help if you described the hardware a(and OS) you are using.  In particular, how is the audio getting out of your PC and into the rest of your gear?  (analog output from onboard sound, SPDIF digital output, USB output to a DAC, etc.)  If you are using a DAC, specify the make and model.

Bill

Hi.  Most of this is listed above.  My output path for stereo is SPDIF from a ESI Juli@ XTe soundcard into a Theta Casablanca III HD (with Xtreme DACs). Multichannel is HDMI from the mobo to the Theta Casablanca III HD.  OS is Windows 7.  The board at the moment is an Intel DH61AG but I will likely change this to provide a better platform for clean power.

Cheers

JJJ

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2013, 04:16:48 pm »

JJJ,

Thanks for providing more detail on your saetup.

I've used the PCI version of the Juli@ card for years and find it very satisfactory.

Some comments:

- The Juli@ card ASIO driver does not always behave correctly after the PC wakes from a sleep state.  I disable sleep functionality in Windows on my dedicated MusicPC.  This does not effect the purely hardware state changes that recent Intel processors do. 

- You may want to experiment with sending audio to the Theta at the native rate vs. having JRiver upsample.  Some DACs perform better when fed a 16/44.1 signal and others do better when JRiver upsamples to a higher sample rate and the DAC receives the higher rate stream.

- HDMI transmitters vary by huge amounts in the amount of jitter and HDMI receivers (and the DAC that converts the data) vary by huge amounts in their jitter rejection performance.  Vincent Kars has compiled some useful information here:

http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/Connect/HDMI_connect.htm

Controlled tests have demonstrated that the presence of jitter in the clock above some level can be heard.  Some HDMI devices can produce jitter levels at the DAC clock above the levels where audibility has been clearly demonstrated.

Bill

JJJ

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2013, 04:34:08 pm »

Thanks a lot.  I will have a fiddle. Theta's DACs up-sample internally but I will give it a whirl.  With regards to HDMI, it's my only option for multichannel but here's an anecdote for you.  Theta very recently did a firmware upgrade related to their HDMI input card (and other related aspects of the CB III HD). Now many owners of the CB III HD find the HDMI input the best and recommend it over coaxial SPDIF even for stereo content.  And that's with Theta's long experience with managing jitter with SPDIF input. So, who knows, maybe things change and previously held "rules of thumb" sometimes no longer apply. Coaxial SPDIF was a jitter nut that was "reasonably well" cracked by the high-end some time ago - I don't want to get into a debate about asynchronous USB versus SPDIF - maybe now guys like Theta are beginning to deal with the extra challenges posed by HDMI.

(BTW I had a giggle as I read through some of the threads relating "audiophiles". Our understanding of human hearing continues to evolve. In this video / speech, Martin Mallison, CTO of ESS, makes some, to my mind, very interesting and candid comments about engineers and what they thought they knew versus the well-trained hearing of some people.  Well worth a watch.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CkyrDIGzOE My ears are nowhere near well-trained.)

Oops, re sleep, I will keep an eye on this.  I believe the server is set to have to be manually put to sleep with a press of the button on the front panel. (I've certainly not seen it go to sleep automatically.)  I've not yet had an issue with output when awakening the server. (It is always on and only ever manually placed in sleep mode.)

PS: Have you modded your Juli@? I am about to solder a direct connection to a Cardas RCA jack to bypass the breakout cable.  I am also in the process of exploring how to power the XTe version independently of the motherboard plus a few other tweaks that have been made to the PCI version but not yet to an XTe version of the card (to the best of my knowledge).
Pages: [1]   Go Up