INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio sample option missing in MC 18.0.189 ?  (Read 2616 times)

Adhara

• World Citizen
Audio sample option missing in MC 18.0.189 ?
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:22:12 pm »

Hi,

Yesterday I moved from 18.0.171 to 18.0.189. I didn't see anymiore  "audio output 24bits w/ dithering" option (Studio DSP Window).
How come ? How to put in place the 24 bits / dithering on audio output ? This option was quite usefull for the volume management in case of using an external DA converter (limits losses of audio quality by adding additional bits).

Other point, could someone explains what the "Device uses inly most significant 24 bits (Lynx, ...)" does ?

My set up is

HTPC (RME AES) --digital--> DA converter --> Power amp --> Speakers

Thx a lot for your help.

Adhara

• World Citizen
Re: Audio sample option missing in MC 18.0.189 ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 05:33:39 pm »

Any idea where the "audio output 24bits w/ dithering" option is in the latest version of JMRC ?
No way to find it .... Has this option been deleted ?  :o

Hopefully no because 24 bits with dithering is really important in my case.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 06:07:42 pm »

Bitdepth is configured under Audio now.  You could read about Bitdepth changes.  Start at the Features thread near the top of this board.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=74442.0

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:20:46 am »

Thanks Jim for your help.
So I've nothing to do except to tick the option "Device uses inly most significant 24 bits (Lynx, ...)" as my RME (like Lynx) works in 24 bits, right ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:56:56 am »

Dither is now always applied to bitdepth conversions, so the option was removed.  More here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80522

As for 'Device uses only most significant 24 bits' it's an advanced option you can ignore in most cases.  ASIO automatically picks the best bitdepth.  But Lynx requests 32-bit integer then only uses 24-bits.  That minor detail means dither should be applied to the 24th bit instead of the 32nd bit (which is all the option does).  I don't know if drivers other than Lynx do this.  Does RME report 24-bit or 32-bit output in Audio Path when playing?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Adhara

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:46:39 pm »

Dither is now always applied to bitdepth conversions, so the option was removed.  More here:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80522

As for 'Device uses only most significant 24 bits' it's an advanced option you can ignore in most cases.  ASIO automatically picks the best bitdepth.  But Lynx requests 32-bit integer then only uses 24-bits.  That minor detail means dither should be applied to the 24th bit instead of the 32nd bit (which is all the option does).  I don't know if drivers other than Lynx do this.  Does RME report 24-bit or 32-bit output in Audio Path when playing?

Hi Matt,

I don't know about RME and I've no idea to check that.
There is no monitoring tool (RME) showing bitdepth...We can only see the sample rate.

I want to congrats everyone working around JRiver for all their work (improvements/features, support).
You are a great company close to the end users.

A french admirer  ;D

PS: Please think to add multi language capability  for MC scraper in a coming release and your software will be near perfect.
Not a big deal in term of dev, using tvdb, allocine, themoviedb, imdb web sites,...

Here a topic I opened some months ago: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=78663.msg536222#msg536222
Pages: [1]   Go Up