INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Various questions part 2.  (Read 1765 times)

Andyd

• Recent member
Various questions part 2.
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:13:08 pm »

First of all, thank you again to the people who helped me out with my post a couple weeks ago.
Great support here, which is awesome!

#1 Thumbnails for video files. How do I change which frame it pulls for this? I'm assuming its just grabbing the frame about 5 seconds into the video which isn't the best for my uses.
For example I have about 20 music videos by Rammstein that all have the exact same thumbnail since there is a short clip before each on the Blu Rays I ripped.
So I want to change the time where it pulls the thumb or even better a manual scan of the file to choose exactly what I want would be cool.
If I right click on the file there is a 'rebuild thumbnail' option but no details on how to change anything.

#2 I notice when scanning through my music collection in theater view random background pictures come up of the bands as I am browsing. Obviously these are being pulled from the internet and its a pretty cool feature. However the final resting place for this program once I get everything all up and running may not be connected. Is there a way for me to save all of these files to a local database or supply my own images to be used?
This auto download is also flawed.... For example I have many albums by the punk rock band Pennywise. While it will display many pics of the band it will also pull pics of Pennywise the Clown from Stephen Kings 'It'.
Also if its going to display pics like this I would prefer to acquire full screen 1920X1080 pics.

#3 Sometimes when organizing my music collection files may get deleted or moved. How can I have JR do a quick scan to check for broken links?

#4 On a similar note...I have 'run auto import' disabled. I'm the type of guy that likes to do all that stuff manually. I don't want things changing without my full knowledge. I have a folder named 'flac' with my music files. Sub folders for band/album. If I have it rescan it simply picks up any newly added and that is all. If I do this for my music videos folder (774 videos at the moment).... It rescans every file and adds it to the library now showing 2 of each!!! Definitely need help with this glitch.

I think that is it for now.
Thanks for any help.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Various questions part 2.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 07:56:45 pm »

#1 Thumbnails for video files. How do I change which frame it pulls for this? I'm assuming its just grabbing the frame about 5 seconds into the video which isn't the best for my uses.
Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails: Capture video thumbnails at 5 seconds

#3 Sometimes when organizing my music collection files may get deleted or moved. How can I have JR do a quick scan to check for broken links?
Media Center should already do that automatically.

You can use IsMissing() to display a 1 or 0 whether an item is missing or not.

#4 On a similar note...I have 'run auto import' disabled. I'm the type of guy that likes to do all that stuff manually. I don't want things changing without my full knowledge. I have a folder named 'flac' with my music files. Sub folders for band/album. If I have it rescan it simply picks up any newly added and that is all. If I do this for my music videos folder (774 videos at the moment).... It rescans every file and adds it to the library now showing 2 of each!!! Definitely need help with this glitch.
Have you moved these files outside of Media Center? Once imported, I find it best to do all file structure changes with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files… tool.

Andyd

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 09:47:41 pm »

Thank you.
#4 was my own stupidity. I had a backup drive hooked up when I did that and selected the wrong one.

Anyone have any advice for my #2 question.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:21:24 am »

First of all, thank you again to the people who helped me out with my post a couple weeks ago.
Great support here, which is awesome!

#2 I notice when scanning through my music collection in theater view random background pictures come up of the bands as I am browsing. Obviously these are being pulled from the internet and its a pretty cool feature. However the final resting place for this program once I get everything all up and running may not be connected. Is there a way for me to save all of these files to a local database or supply my own images to be used?
This auto download is also flawed.... For example I have many albums by the punk rock band Pennywise. While it will display many pics of the band it will also pull pics of Pennywise the Clown from Stephen Kings 'It'.
Also if its going to display pics like this I would prefer to acquire full screen 1920X1080 pics.

The local database or folder thing isn't available, but has been asked for on several occasions. It may get introduced in the future, it may not.
For bands like Pennywise, Texas, Genesis, etc. etc. follow the steps below:
  • Go to your MC install directory (by default, on an x64 machine, "C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 18\")
  • There, you will see a folder named "Data". Enter that folder.
  • Create a new folder here called "Custom Resources"
  • Enter the folder called "Default Resources"
  • Find the file in there called "ArtistSearch.txt" and copy it to your clipboard.
  • Go back in to the "Custom Resources" folder you created earlier and paste the "ArtistSearch.txt" file there.
  • Open this file for editing, and append the following:
Code: [Select]
Pennywise
Pennywise ~music
and save and close the file. Close Explorer.

This should stop the clown images. By using a "Custom ..." folder, your file and it's contents will be preserved when you update MC. If you come across any other artists producing questionable results, you can add them to your file in the "Custom" folder. If you have a backup routine, you might consider adding this folder to it.

-marko

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 02:54:56 am »

Create a new folder here called "Custom Resources"
Enter the folder called "Default Resources"
Find the file in there called "ArtistSearch.txt" and copy it to your clipboard.

How can you find a file in a folder you just created in the step before?

I need to learn to read ::)

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 03:41:30 am »

How can you find a file in a folder you just created in the step before?

::)
Too harsh. Read again. The folder names in the instructions provided, and your quoted excerpt, are different.

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 03:51:32 am »

Ah yes. Apologies  ;D.

I need more coffee  :P.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2013, 12:24:08 pm »

:D

Andyd

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2013, 03:19:10 pm »

Tools > Options > Tree & View > Thumbnails: Capture video thumbnails at 5 seconds
Media Center should already do that automatically.

You can use IsMissing() to display a 1 or 0 whether an item is missing or not.
Have you moved these files outside of Media Center? Once imported, I find it best to do all file structure changes with the Rename, Move, & Copy Files… tool.

Ok, made some changes to my music collection which also included eliminating a variety of things.
I read your 'is missing' suggestion but this just seems complicated.

I simply want JR to scan my audio collection and find any broken links and eliminate those files from the library. This is a common option on every media player I have ever used. There has to be an 'easy' way to do this? I figured there would be something in the library tools but didn't see anything.

JustinM

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2013, 03:37:00 pm »

I simply want JR to scan my audio collection and find any broken links and eliminate those files from the library. This is a common option on every media player I have ever used. There has to be an 'easy' way to do this? I figured there would be something in the library tools but didn't see anything.

Run auto import.... ( or leave it enabled)
Pages: [1]   Go Up