INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Track titles and order  (Read 1495 times)

joelwbm

Track titles and order
« on: May 13, 2013, 03:54:06 pm »

I've just loaded the trial version for evaluation. I've been playing music from a windows PC for years using Windows Media Player and I wanted to try a player claimed as superior sounding. My music is stored in a home server and it's well organized by composer and CD titles, and sometimes by my own compilation title. For example, I compiled the opera Carmen which is on 3 CDs, into one compilation folder named "Carmen by Bizet..." When I dragged the whole directory into JRiver, many of the tracks got renamed and the intended order of playing was lost, and I couldn't find a way to correct it. Here are some specifics: First track became: "9 (w end of 5)". It originated from a file in position 4 titled: "04-Karajan Disc 1 - 06 (w end of 5)". My intended first track is: "01-Karajan Disc1-01 - Prelude".  JRiver renamed it and placed it at the end: "7 Prelude". I tried moving the misplaced tracks to the desired position but couldn't. It's also a mystery for me what are these numbers JRiver adds to the track names. For example, in "7 Prelude" the number "7" is not in my original track names. I will appreciate any help on this issue. 

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Track titles and order
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2013, 04:00:42 pm »

It's not likely that MC renamed anything.  Were the files WAV files?  It's most likely that the metadata (including the name) was stored in the library but not in the files.

Explore the Library Tag tools.  You can fill the properties (tags) from the filename and directory.

joelwbm

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 10:05:31 pm »

Yes, to preserve the utmost quality my music files are all uncompressed WAV files. I've been using Exact Audio Copy to rip the files, and I'm not sure it copied the metadata, tags, etc. With over 2000 CD's that I own all ripped, it would be almost impossible to edit each file names to incorporate these.  I was hoping for a simpler solution that would make MC usable for me.

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2013, 04:28:50 am »

With over 2000 CD's that I own all ripped, it would be almost impossible to edit each file names to incorporate these.  I was hoping for a simpler solution that would make MC usable for me.

you would experiment with one file but then do batch operations.

As I understand it MC gets its info from metadata and from the filename/directory structure

See
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Carnac

Explore Right click the file > Library tools > fill properties from the filename, The filename is parsed to fill in the tags. This can be automated or templated.

If fields are inconsistent, or other problems, then Library Tools > Rename, Move & Copy Files may be better.
See also http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=68488.msg461345#msg461345

If batch sort order of tracks is an issue you can try  r click "send to" "Play Now" where you can drag and drop tracks or groups of selected tracks in any order . Once sorted then use the Library tools > fill track number from list order

N.B. Track order will aslo be grouped according to "Disc #" which will take precedence in displaying tracks so that they will not necessarily show in numerical order if/when combining multiple tracks from different CD's. make sure the "Disc #" tag is deleted.

N.B To manually change the sort order of just a few tracks, right click the track number and "rename" the track #......to scroll to the next track use the arrow keys to navigate to and select the track and enter next desired track # ( the arrow key navigation saves you repetitively right clicking and "rename".

The clever people here will fill in the gaps. :)

Pages: [1]   Go Up