INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Connecting to Library Server  (Read 1963 times)

cebalaw

• Recent member
Connecting to Library Server
« on: May 23, 2013, 03:59:46 pm »

I recently had to rebuild a couple of my PCs, and now I am unable to connect to my Media Server on either. It just freezes MC. Any ideas whats wrong? This is a local network.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Connecting to Library Server
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 04:13:21 pm »

Firewall

zxsix

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 04:59:10 pm »

Assuming the MC server computer is unchanged, and you're talking about the client side MC being the ones that have changed, then Jim's probably correct.
Disable Microsoft's built-in software firewall in control panel.

When you add the remote library via library manager screen, are you filling in an access key or an IP:port combination?
Double-check that they match?  access keys are case sensitive.

Also make sure MC build version is the same on the clients and same as server.  10.0.189 is the current public build.
If you downloaded latest MC version on the new machines and the server side is still sitting on a older build, that could cause issues.

cebalaw

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 06:06:10 pm »

The server is unchanged except for being upgraded to 189. I am using the access key to try and connect (and am using the right case). Windows Firewall has been completely disabled. I can connect successfully from another PC (that was not rebuilt). I have never had problems in the past and am at a loss. Any more help is appreciated, as the two having difficulties are my main PCs.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 06:35:47 pm »

Are you connecting from MC on one PC to MC on another?

Is the version the same on both?

If so, it's probably the firewall.

Powering everything down is always a good thing to try.  Router, etc.

cebalaw

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 09:54:48 am »

The versions are the same.
There is NO firewall.
I have shutdown my entire network, and rebooted one-by-one.
All PCs that were not rebuilt this week (3) have no problems connecting.
The PCs that were rebuilt this week (2) cannot connect, they hang on "Connecting to server".

Is there a log to check? 

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 11:29:02 am »

Something is blocking network access.  Re-read the Media Network instructions and this thread:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Network_Access

cebalaw

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 11:23:44 pm »

That was unfortunately no help.
I rebuilt the server, got a new Access Key, but still cannot connect. As before the PCs not rebuilt connect fine, and I can access over the internet. I tried to Sync the library from the PC that cannot connect, and it accepted the Access key and prompted me for my username and password (never got this far when trying to add the library). The Action Window stated "Analyzing files..." then crashed Media Center. I tried again and this time, as before it read "Analyzing Files". When I move the cursor over screen text it changes to garbage text, for example under Action Window, every choice reads "JRICP" and the left reads "RootItemBackground", etc.; basically crashes.

I have released and renewed my IP address, ensured the router is correct, reinstalled the network driver. Any more ideas? I am at a loss. For now, I "restored" a backup of the library from the server to at least have the library files present, but I lose desired functionality this way and would rather use a single library.

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 08:00:54 am »

Can you try to see what happens if on your client machine, you go via the servers webpage?
The first link should then be library server your browser should then ask you if you want that link to open in JRiver and this should open that library on the JRiver running as a client.

I have found, when going via the web, that opening a connected library via the webpage works when connecting directly by adding a library in JRiver with the same URL does not.
JRiver should still remember that library even after a restart.

cebalaw

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 11:04:05 am »

That worked. Thank you!

icstm

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 03:34:17 am »

Glad I could help.
Can any mods explain why this DOES work?

(I figured it out from trial and error)
Pages: [1]   Go Up