INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: First Last to Last, First in various fields  (Read 706 times)

timwtheov

• Galactic Citizen
First Last to Last, First in various fields
« on: May 25, 2013, 07:47:53 pm »

I know this is an old topic (http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75561.0), but I was hoping MrC (or someone) could help me out. 

I'm using the expression noted above (changing first last to last, first) in both my Audio [Composer] and in Video [Director] fields.  I'm running into the same problem as Flavio61 in the above thread, but in my case, I don't have brackets as delimiters:  just a name like "Ludwig van Beethoven" or "Paul Thomas Anderson" for video, and if I use the expression as is, I get "Thomas Anderson, Paul," or "van Beethoven, Ludwig," when obviously I want "Anderson, Paul Thomas" or "Beethoven, Ludwig van." 

Expression language is brand new to me, and frankly, it makes my head hurt to try and parse it all out.  How might that expression be changed so that what I have above would happen, or given that someone could conceivably have more than 3 names (such as Johannes Chrysostomus Wolfgangus Theophilus Mozart, if one were being really extensive, and also pretentious), is there an expression that could take in any possible number of names, with always the last name, well, last? Naturally, I could do all this manually, but as I'm getting into expression language, I like the idea of automating. 

Thanks for any help!
Pages: [1]   Go Up