INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Great Music Videos - What are your Favourites?  (Read 2993 times)

jmone

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I won! I won!
Great Music Videos - What are your Favourites?
« on: May 26, 2013, 06:04:09 am »

I find many Music Videos tend to be rather poor with muddied audio overlayed by the crowed.  Many also have very poor Video due to the low light.  I'm interested in what recommendations you have (esp in BD).  One in particular I think sets the standard is the Eagles - Farwell Tour which is finally available in BD.  The video is fantastic and I can not fault either the 48KHz 24 Bit 2.0 CH PCM or the 48KHz 24 Bit 5.1 CH DTS MA tack.

To my ears the audio is better than the studio releases they have done and with the new ability of MC to rip the Audio track to FLAC you can have an Audio Only version.

At the other end of the scale for me is the Pink - Funhouse Tour.  I went to the Concert and it was fun but the BD release to me sounds very ill defined and muddied though professional reviews seem to think it is good.

So what are your recommendations for both Good and Bad Music Videos (esp on BD)?

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

nwboater

• MC Beta Team
Re: Great Music Videos - What are your Favourites?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 11:54:41 am »

You may not like the music (we do) but these two BlueRays have outstanding Audio & Video:

David Foster: Hitman  Foster & Friends

Celine Dion: A New Day - Live In Las Vegas

Cheers,
Rod

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 02:15:28 pm »

Alison Krauss + Union Station Live.

Video has compression artefacts but the audio is pretty good.

It was filmed in HD so I'm not sure why they are not releasing it on BD.

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 08:40:52 pm »

First... you say "Music Video" but your usage indicates that what you mean is "Concert Video".  The term "music video" is generally accepted to mean a promotional video made to promote a single song, and the audio is the same audio as the studio-recorded album.   AFAIK, the Beatles were the first to do this (in fact, "Hard Days Night" is both a feature film and a series of music videos).  The most notable music videos were mostly in the 80's:

Michael Jackson - Beat It
Duran Duran - Rio
Peter Gabriel - Shock the Monkey

among others (and all music videos are easily found on Youtube).   Okay, now about Concert Videos:

Generally, the better the performance the worse the recording.   This is known as "J Gordon Holt's Law" (he was the founder of Stereophile magazine).

The aforementioned Alison Krauss is a notable exception (the excellent audio is on SACD).  Others that come to mind is "Pink Floyd Live At Pompeii" which is a live concert with no audience staged entirely for the 35mm camera, and "The Grateful Dead Movie" which did have a live audience but was planned to be a film.  The latter is on Blu-ray, the former not to my knowledge.  Both were recorded to multi-track studio-quality decks as well.   "AC/DC Live at Donington" also has top-notch performance professional filmed with excellent audio.  All three capture the respective acts at their peak, and subsequent concert videos with perhaps even better quality, have notably worse performances.

Generally, there is really not much point to concert videos - you just see people standing there playing instruments.   The one exception is the Genesis Live at Shepperton video, which is also a live show done with no audience and filmed.   This can be found on the web as a fan DVD or as a bonus in one of the band's box sets.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 09:33:08 pm »

That is one thing I can not find....quality compilation Music Video Clips.   Where can you buy "Top 40 VA Music Videos" (preferably on BD)?  I find it odd as there is plenty of Top 40 style releases on CD, and commercially you see them played in Gyms etc but you don't seem to be able to buy them on a Disc.  I have a few where the CD includes a "bonus" DVD with some of the tracks on them.  Another option I have tried was to record from a TV broadcast but you have to then split them all up and you get station logos all over them.
JRiver CEO Elect

InflatableMouse

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 01:27:44 am »

Music Video Clips (as shown on MTV etc) usually aren't very good quality due to aurio being compressed. The audio on there is not the same as the CD track. I think the exception here was Peter Gabriel's Play DVD with his video clips.

Generally, there is really not much point to concert videos - you just see people standing there playing instruments.

I coudn't dissagree more. Seeing them perform is the point. I love live concerts. Peter Gabriel's Secret World, Led Zeppelin, Alison Krauss, Pink Floyd, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Eric Clapton, Dream Theater Live in Budokan. I only watch the DVD's, rarely if ever I listen to the live CD's.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2013, 05:24:48 am »

The reason I would like to have a library of Top 40 Music Videos is to create my own MTV style playlist, but I wonder why they are not commercially available. 
JRiver CEO Elect

kstuart

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2013, 01:01:30 pm »

Individual artists make available DVD collections of their music videos.

For example, Bjork has probably the best music videos - a combination of her best songs with videos created by top filmmakers.   She issued a compilation DVD called "Volumen" and then there are later updates that add later music videos.

That reminds me that her Concert Video "Live at Cambridge" is one of the best Concert Videos.   It is a superb performance, and is also one of the best filmed concerts.   One of the worst aspect of some concert videos (and other video clips) is the cutesy editing together of different angles - one second of one followed by one second of another, and so forth.  This gives you the opposite sensations of "being there" because the sequence of visuals is impossible (and often dizzying and disorienting).

In the Bjork Live at Cambridge concert video, the camera is mounted on a hydraulically damped mount, and is only moved very slowly, at the same speed as one might move their own head.

PS  Another good concert video is the concert part of the excellent music documentary film "Buena Vista Social Club".  The surround recording of the concert puts the musicians across the front and the audience and hall ambience across the back.  And, the music performances are all outstanding throught the film.

RSleith

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2013, 01:52:44 pm »

"The Grateful Dead Movie"
I remember a few years back there was a cinema release on April 20  ;D

And last year (or maybe the year before...) on Garcia's birthday.

Cried like a baby both times...

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2013, 06:46:04 pm »

The Caveman - Fire - Dated 9,000,000 BC
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2013, 01:00:23 am »

I've not searched for it, but have always thought that Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was the first single to be released with a promotional video?

The first nail in the coffin for Pan's People and Hot Gossip ;)

kstuart

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2013, 12:43:13 pm »

I've not searched for it, but have always thought that Queen's Bohemian Rhapsody was the first single to be released with a promotional video?

See this interesting article:

http://www.h2g2.com/approved_entry/A3404611

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2013, 08:03:55 pm »

First... you say "Music Video" but your usage indicates that what you mean is "Concert Video".  The term "music video" is generally accepted to mean a promotional video made to promote a single song, and the audio is the same audio as the studio-recorded album.   AFAIK, the Beatles were the first to do this (in fact, "Hard Days Night" is both a feature film and a series of music videos).  The most notable music videos were mostly in the 80's:

Michael Jackson - Beat It
Duran Duran - Rio
Peter Gabriel - Shock the Monkey

kstuart, by your definition, I'd be adding "Girls on Film" (uncut) to the Duran Duran entry.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up