INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: which receiver should I use as DAC ?  (Read 1692 times)

jparaja

• Recent member
which receiver should I use as DAC ?
« on: May 27, 2013, 02:59:51 pm »

I have 2 receivers; sony str da7es and yamaha rx-v 871. The yamaha I use for hd multichannel audio with jriver using hdmi .For audio I've been using the sony connected with spdif using WASAPI exclusive. Should I continue using  the sony for 2 channel audio or let the yamaha do everything? Or buy a hi end multichannel sound card.?

Mikkel

• Galactic Citizen
Re: which receiver should I use as DAC ?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:27:51 am »

If the power ratings for the SONY can be trusted it has 20 watt more per channel (RMS). From a power perspective it would make more sense to only use the SONY receiver irrespective of whether you listen to stereo or multi-channel content.

I don't really now if there is a sonic difference between the receivers. I doubt it but as I have never heard or compared them I cannot comment on it. Try listen to them with the same content at the same sound pressure level.

If you buy a high end multichannel sound card stick I would personally stick to the SONY. It has the most power per channel, which is what you want in order to reproduce the transients from the audio source.

That is just my opinion. Hopefully some other people will join in with their take on the matter.

P.S. There is no reason to buy another soundcard unless you want to go analogue.

Best regards,
Mikkel
Pages: [1]   Go Up