INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DLNA confusion  (Read 1587 times)

rlhinc

• Recent member
DLNA confusion
« on: May 28, 2013, 10:31:19 pm »

Just installed the latest version of MC for Mac, and cannot (for the life of me!) figure out how to tell MC to stream my files to my PS Audio DAC II.  I've gone into 'Tools/Options/Media Servers..." etc.  and think I worked out all those settings... plus, the volume control in MC DOES change the volume control on my DAC.  So, clearly they are in at least some kind of communication.

And the DAC does show up in the left-hand column as though it should work.  But, when I hit the "Play" button in MC, nothing happens, and file does not play.

The biggest worry:  Since MC for Mac is still in Beta, I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if there's something wrong with this version of the software.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

Robert

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: DNLA confusion
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 10:34:40 pm »

Welcome.

What types of files are you trying to play?  Maybe try a simple MP3.

Also, turn Media Network off and on again in Options > Media Network and pick 'Audiophile 24-bit DAC' when asked to choose the device that best matches your device.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

rlhinc

• Recent member
Re: DNLA confusion
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:47:42 pm »

I'm playing .wav and flac.  Also, just noticed that when I try to stream the files to the DAC, the file DOES play for about 5 seconds, then restarts, then MC suddenly switches to another file entirely... all by itself.  Then that file starts for about 5 seconds, restarts for another 5 seconds, then (again!) switches on it's own to an entirely different file.

Odd?

Thanks for the help!

R

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: DLNA confusion
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 05:51:13 am »

Take a look at the DLNA topic on our wiki for a basic understanding.

Not all devices will work as you expect.  On some, you may have to play by controlling the device itself.  Others can be used as you're trying now, by playing to it from MC or by using a DLNA Controller.

DLNA is working in MC for Mac.

rlhinc

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 12:28:12 pm »

Thanks, Jim.  This function (playing from MC to my PS DAC) used to work in an older build of MC for Mac -- this leads me to suspect that I'm doing something wrong.

I'll continue to play around with it with high hopes that I can get it to work.

Many thanks!

Robert

johnjen

• Galactic Citizen
  • Sonicus Caelumus Tremendamus
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2013, 09:20:57 pm »

One thing to pay attention to…

When you hit play, make sure the file(s) show up in the DAC player and not into the 'regular' player.

Currently there is no way to 'direct' or control which player gets the files to play other than to have chosen the DAC player just before choosing the files to play.  It’s a bit of a user interface issue.

You can tell which player is running because it's icon color will change from gray to green.

JJ
Custom 71A HP amp, Schiit Jggy dac, HD-800-Jmod, AOIP digital data feed, custom wiring and mains power feed, Mac Pro 4cpu 16GB ram SSD's
Pages: [1]   Go Up