INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Mac Library with Windows Library?  (Read 8631 times)

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
  • Dad to three beatuiful Boxers by rescue.
Sync Mac Library with Windows Library?
« on: June 02, 2013, 09:24:53 am »

I've searched the posts and I probably looked right at the answer but didn't "see" it.  ::) Can a Mac version of MC sync (automatically or manually)  with a Windows library? Specifically, my main library will reside on the Windows machine. That's where all the ripping will be done also. I'll only be using the Mac version generally when the Windows PC is offline. The Mac-Mini will stay on 24/7 and I'll only be using it to stream to other PC's, Tablets, etc when the main Windows PC is offline. The MAC won't be ripping anything and I don't plan, at this point, to have a need to write to the main Windows library from the Mac.

I hope I was clear and didn't ask a question that's already been answered. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Side question: I've not yet bought my Mac-Mini. I don't want to spend $600 on the new model. Any tips for system requirements (ram, cpu speed, etc) for one of the older models would be appreciated.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
  • "Science is not a democracy"-Earl Geddes, Ph.D.
Re: Sync Mac Library with Windows Library?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 06:25:04 pm »

As long as the Mini can see the Windows drive it's not a problem.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Import#Setting_Import_Options
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2013, 07:49:03 pm »

Thank you but that's not what I'm trying to do.

I want to sync the libraries to each other. I don't want the Mac-Mini importing anything. Right now I sync the library from my main PC to my Windows laptop. That's what I want to do with the Mac Mini as well. Sync the library from the main PC to the Mac.

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 08:30:57 pm »

Sync the library from the main PC to the Mac.

I thought that's what I posted. 
W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

My podcast:

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 08:56:23 pm »

Thank you but that's not what I'm trying to do.

I want to sync the libraries to each other. I don't want the Mac-Mini importing anything. Right now I sync the library from my main PC to my Windows laptop. That's what I want to do with the Mac Mini as well. Sync the library from the main PC to the Mac.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sync"(?). Are you simply pointing your Windows computers at the same MC library folder and hoping they play well together?  If that's working for you, why not do the same with your Mac Mini?  Or, are you wanting your main PC to stream media to your Mini?
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 06:47:38 am »

In the top tool bar see File->Library->Sync Library. It allows you to keep libraries on different machines in sync with each other. I need to know if a library on a PC can be synched to a library on a Mac.

I really need an answer to this from someone who is familiar with this feature (JRiver?) Thanks for trying though.

shAf

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2013, 07:04:56 am »

In the top tool bar see File->Library->Sync Library. It allows you to keep libraries on different machines in sync with each other. I need to know if a library on a PC can be synched to a library on a Mac. ....
Hmmm .. a feature I haven't used before, or maybe it's MC18's method of hooking up with a MC Library Server.  It description would imply it's a one-time "copy" operation, as opposed to an on-going synchronization.  That said, it employs one PC being the "server" which would imply it might keeps the server's Library in sync with using the client.  I'm going to visit the MC18 for Windows forum to check on this.

In the meantime, I believe the real question is about whether MC18 (Mac) is ready to play at all with a PC version of MC18's Library Server(?)  I haven't yet seen where this has been implemented(... even though it's in the menu?)

:)

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2013, 07:15:05 am »

I don't know whether it will work cross platform, but this is our wiki topic:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Library_Server_Sync

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2013, 07:26:51 am »

I know how it's supposed to work because I'm already using it PC to PC! BTW - Works great! Unfortunately, I don't have a Mac Mini yet. I am considering buying one to control some home automation stuff. My decision to do so will be based on whether or nor MC Library Sync will work across these two platforms.

JRiver can you (or anyone else) please test it for me? <humbly begging>

jtwrace

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2013, 07:46:18 am »

avpman

What is your location?

My podcast:

avpman

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2013, 07:49:35 am »

Sunny (ha-ha) Tampa, Florida.

shAf

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2013, 12:59:29 pm »

JRiver can you (or anyone else) please test it for me? <humbly begging>

I thought this might be easy to test with my MB Air to my MS18 Media Server.  However, after arriving home, I find out it would involve copying my entire 700Gb library to my Mac laptop before I'd get to realize if it is working properly ... sorry  :(

That said, connecting to the PC's media Server does work if you create a library linked to the server.  This however, is a streaming solution, but it does indicate that MC Mac is working with WinMC.  If it's not yet working with 'Sync Library', have faith it soon will  :)

HTH  :o)

shep

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2014, 09:05:22 am »

A year on, is there an update on this? 
Did the OP buy the Mac & set this up successfully?  I just tried to Library Sync a Server PC running latest MC19 Win to a Mac running latest MC19 both pulling from a mapped NAS (2Ch audio only).  Library was 1.2TB, 35,000 songs.  After 4 hours of "downloading new files" the "Library Not Synced" disappeared from the mouseover on songs on both server and client but after adding songs or editing tags on client nothing stayed synced.  Auto Sync enabled. Sync Library simply starts the process over from 1 of 35,000. 

I'm hardly devastated if it doesn't work, but to save the effort, I'd like to know if this might be possible and what the correct settings might be.  I do like a balance of Win & Mac on the Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up