INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Version 8 Pricing -- Part II  (Read 881 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Version 8 Pricing -- Part II
« on: March 25, 2002, 05:06:17 pm »

[moved by JimH]

[ny40male]
sorry had to start a new thread but the Reply wasnt showing i dont know why
One reason i would like to see the "Module" setup is
i dont need all the bells and whistles all i want
is the database part of the program.
version 7 for me is still the best darn gosh golly gee whiz
program for doing that ive found..
i dont need it to play cards or make popcorn or give my kids
baths...just give me the best darn database program and i give
you a big smile
and if you need to charge me $50.00 to do it..
the database program is still better than Blaze Media
and they are charging that price and if you want to put
MJ on 25 computers THEY wont let you
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Jazzwolf

RE:Version 8 Pricing -- Part II
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2002, 06:28:03 pm »

I have to agree with you. Ver 7.2 does everything I want and more. I primarily download my music from emusic and burn my CD's. This is all I need to do, I don't need all the bells and whistles although they are nice. I would love to try Ver 8 but I know that it is a beta and therefore it is NOT stable. I had a bad experience with a beta program years ago and it left my old computer in a REAL mess. I vowed that I would never do that again. I'll wait until it is an official version and then install it. It puzzles me to see people downloading ver 8 and then complaining about how they can't do this or that.. what the hell do they think that a beta means?!! It is a work in progress! I have a LOT of respect for the people that do install it and constantly test it and stay with it. These folks (and you know who you are!) are helping us to get an excellent product. I just wish I had the guts to do the same Man, I will NEVER go back to Musicmatch, I still have it on my computer but only because my daughter finds it easier to use. She likes the fact that she can doubleclick on a song and it goes right into a playlist.. BUT.. I know that she will eventually come over to the force and get away from the dark side

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2002, 11:03:48 pm »

Any software regardless of bells and whistles and fancy ads and publicising isn't worth two bits!

MJ 8 is no where near being a working piece of software. Too complicated for the vast majority of folks that are not completely computer literate (like myself as example).

I will not support any price increase (especially when the CEO takes limited world tours). I have worked very hard for what I and my family have. I'm on a very limited fixed budget and it seems that everyone under the sun are plotting to get more of it. Gasoline pricing, electricity, taxes; you know what I'm talking about.

The only chance of me accepting a price increase would have to be more and better justification, and some type of money back guarantee if, for any reason, the program is not wanted.

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2002, 12:25:57 am »

JimH:

Shotgun 2's response underscores the problem. Ditto Jazzwolf. MJ Lite is enough for a lot of users, and price is a real issue for them. Probably at the limit for that group, and some grumpiness about MJ's difficulties in core functions. Others will accept any degree of complexity, greater tolerance for bugs and greater willingness to live with price increases.

Is it feasible to run 2 versions? Could you return 7.2 as the Lite version, maybe with a couple of the later add-ons disabled?

HTH

gvag

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2002, 01:24:22 am »

Quite frankly I don't care if the CEO takes unlimited world holidays, as long as development of MJ8 continues.  Its a great product and I would have bought the plus version of 7.2 if I'd been guaranteed a free upgrade to version 8, as it is I'm waiting for the final release.

Price wise I'd be willing to pay $35 for MJ8 and I think a try before you buy period of thirty days is sufficient time to explore the major features of the software.  I also think that after thirty days everything but the player, add to library and basic equalizer functions should just cease to work (and I would include the Tag Editing in the list of disabled features as well).  I would not totally disable the application as many people just starting out in computer music might discover after a time that they do want to do more than just play MP3s and if you totally disable MJ than it won't be on their system as a natural upgrade to get into recording, ripping, cataloguing, etc.

I would like to make one further point, OT perhaps, when I pay for program I expect a certain level of functionality and BSODs are definitely not appreciated in a program that does not come with a money back guarantee.  I understand why you would not offer it because as we all know once a program is up and running unrestricted on someone's system they've got it and there's no going back.  I mention this because this is my second post to this topic, during the first I was ripping from a LP and when I clicked to stop the recording I got the BSOD.  Hey what do you want for free?  Nothing really but its nice if you can get it and free or not if it doesn't do what it supposed to do I don't want it on my system.

Tone aside, I think Shotgun2 had some valid points.  The album I was recording was a double LP so I was really unhappy when the results of an 1 1/2 session showed a 0 length file in my Music folder after I rebooted.  Fortunately, I remembered that my temporary folder is on another drive and when I checked the session was sitting there intact.  A lot of people wouldn't think to check the temporary folder, their closest contact with Explorer may only be the file menu on whatever programs they use and they're not comfortable cruising around their own computer (my wife is one of them).  My point here is that if you want people to pay for your program then it has to be solid in the execution of common tasks.  Believe me I realize that every time you add another feature to a program there is an exponential chance of introducing a bug.  I've done just enough programming to be totally amazed that any program runs on any OS on any computer but day to day I do expect programs to essentially run without problems.  When my new car won't start or just stops beyond checking the gas and oil and fluid levels I feel that my responsibility as a user ends and I'm not interested in the engineer's design problems.

Please don't take this as a slam of MJ I like the program and I just want it to be the best that it can be.  Looking forward to buying MJ8 when its released.

Shotgun2

• World Citizen
  • Health problems prevent almost all activity.Manufacturing Engineer, Ret.Living
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2002, 01:45:51 am »

Wait just one moment please. I've already paid for MJ8! Is someone now saying that there will be an additional charge to use once it comes out of Beta?

Later.

Skinnyfatz

• Junior Woodchuck
  • I would just like to say...
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2002, 03:29:53 am »

Let me just begin by saying, that I still think that MJ is the BEST all in one player, on the market today. However, we all know that at the moment, MJ8 still has a lot of problems. IT'S BETA, what do you expect? While I agree with most that 7.2 is complete enough for them, I, still like all the bells and whistles of ver. 8, but will NOT SUPPORT ANY degree of price increase, until it functions as good, if not better, than 7.2, and THAT, it seems to me is still a long way off. I have both on my box, ver. 7.2 recognises my cd drive, ver. 8 does not, it's still making me use the generic aspi driver, which I don't appreciate especially since ver. 7.2 recognises the aspi layer. But as I said, it's beta so what do you expect. Fix it first, then we'll see.
I've learned... You can say anything you want, but the truth in your heart, comes from your actions, not in the words from you mouth.
Pages: [1]   Go Up