INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The Blue Light  (Read 6393 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
The Blue Light
« on: June 04, 2013, 05:54:29 am »

First let me make it clear that WASAPI on MC18.0.193 is playing music clearly via WASAPI Loopback through to the DAC/Amp in my signature via HDMI as it does in MC17.0.189. However the magic blue "bit perfect" light doesn't light up when using MC18, while it does in MC17.

I've attached some pics to show what I'm seeing and to make it plain that the audio path info feedback from MC is essentially the same (apart from a replay gain adjustment difference) in both versions.

So, should I be seeing the magic blue light in MC18 or has that feature been disabled?

I'm not super worried because the audio sounds good regardless, so in the main this is not a full blown "problem". The real issue for me is to seek out reassurance that my system is fully functional.

Thanks all ..  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
The Blue Lighht
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 07:12:50 am »

Disable the TT Dynamic Range Meter. It is my understanding, although limited, that if in the Audio Path > Changes list you see that changes are being applied, you're not sending bit-perfect to the DAC.

You may need to disable ReplayGain too, but I am not sure on that.

I could be wrong, but give the above a try and see what your results are.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
The Blue Light
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 03:43:19 pm »

Disable the TT Dynamic Range Meter. It is my understanding, although limited, that if in the Audio Path > Changes list you see that changes are being applied, you're not sending bit-perfect to the DAC.

You may need to disable ReplayGain too, but I am not sure on that.

I could be wrong, but give the above a try and see what your results are.

Your tip was spot on. Thank you. That sneaky little pest is out of the way now and the magic blue light is glowing. Nice one.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
The Blue Lighht
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 03:52:29 pm »

Your tip was spot on. Thank you. That sneaky little pest is out of the way now and the magic blue light is glowing. Nice one.

Excellent! Glad to help!  ;D

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
The Blue Lighht
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 03:58:06 pm »

The blue light turns off if any DSP is engaged that might change the audio.  JRiver plugins report if they're making changes, but third-party ones do not.

However, the blue light going off isn't necessarily bad -- the changes could be for the better (that's the point of processing), or the DSP may not really be making any changes if it's just a visualizer / analyzer.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
The Blue Light
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 04:34:49 pm »

The blue light turns off if any DSP is engaged that might change the audio.  JRiver plugins report if they're making changes, but third-party ones do not.

However, the blue light going off isn't necessarily bad -- the changes could be for the better (that's the point of processing), or the DSP may not really be making any changes if it's just a visualizer / analyzer.

Thanks Matt. What you've said above made sense to my ears but rather than live in wonder, I thought I'd remove any doubt.

To comment on syn-ack's thought about Replay Gain, as implied by Matt above, presumably because this is internal to MC it had no apparent effect on bit-perfect-ness.

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
The Blue Lighht
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 04:40:31 pm »

To comment on syn-ack's thought about Replay Gain, as implied by Matt above, presumably because this is internal to MC it had no apparent effect on bit-perfect-ness.

Thanks for clarifying, I wasn't sure about that one.  :)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
The Blue Lighht
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2013, 04:48:11 pm »

The blue light with regards to volume is a gray area.

Obviously volume changes the bitstream (or else the volume wouldn't change!), but since we're performing the best possible quality volume, we felt it appropriate to leave the light on.

The audio path dialog shows when volume changes are in effect.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

syn-ack

• Junior Woodchuck
The Blue Lighht
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2013, 04:56:09 pm »

The blue light with regards to volume is a gray area.

Did you do that on purpose!?!?  ;D

Thanks for clearing that up as well...

The Blue Lighht
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 05:05:24 pm »

Perhaps it should be "bit-perfect" until you are below -48dB? (assuming a 24-bit output, though that doesn't account for dither)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: The Blue Light
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2013, 02:14:37 pm »

Wow, my first split post (with some spelling corrections to boot).

Somehow I feel like I've passed a rite of passage. On a more serious note, I'm glad that my innocent question was able to improve on an area of understanding for not just myself.
Pages: [1]   Go Up