INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MJ8 on Linux  (Read 2155 times)

tlcmd

• Galactic Citizen
  • nothing more to say...
MJ8 on Linux
« on: June 07, 2013, 08:37:46 am »

I've been using MJ8 since the last days of MJ7 and got the free upgrade. I'm very happy with it and familiar with it. Tried MJ12 and MJ14 and still prefer MJ8.

I'm running it on Linux Mint Debian Edition.

I downloaded it from the "old versions" here on Interact and used my MJ8 license. I have a dual boot computer with LMDE and Windows XP SP3.

Major Problems are:
1) MJ8 on LMDE does not recognize my cd/dvd drive
2) The equalizer doesn't work.

My solution is to download my music to my LMDE "music" folder and then import it into MJ8 or to do the same with MJ8 on Windows XP and then copy it to the MJ8 on LMDE. It's clunky, but it works. My playlists, etc are intact and work well and with 10k+ music files, all of which are categorized by multiple genres, artist, and title, importing them into some of the media players which do run on Linux is really clunky. Especially since setting up the "do not play" filter on those media players for seasonal songs is a real pain.
I haven't tried Amarok yet since the Debian and LMDE repositories have not been set up for Amarok 2.7.

Anyway, for those of you who are tired of Windows and would like to avoid the expensive hardware upgrades (new computer) and the cost of the newest Windows OS, I can tell you that MJ8 does run well on all 3 of my computers which are  7 - 12 years old. Including one with 1.1 GHz Pentium chip and 512 of RAM, one with 1.4 GHz Athlon chip, 1500 mb RAM and a 320 HDD, and my main one, only 7 years old: 2.66 MHz Pentium Dual Core chip, 2 Gigs of RAM and 2 HDD's (one with 160 Gig and one with 320 Gigs). I am backed up on a 1 TB external HDD.

I keep hoping that JRiver will soon come out with a Media Centre for Linux operating systems. I'd gladly buy it.

tlcmd (aka Dick)
Pages: [1]   Go Up