INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Folder Tags  (Read 2761 times)

dummy

• Recent member
Folder Tags
« on: June 07, 2013, 02:53:08 pm »

Anyone knows how to (If its possible that is) to have a folder within a folder with JRiver MC? That would be handy for box sets and/or big collections.

For example, I have a few Time Life Music collections. They are all within my Time Life Music folder in the Artists field in MC. What I would like to do is click on Time Life Music and have other folders/tag value for each different collection inside that folder so that each collection has its own folder within the Time Life Music folder.

I rip and tag my music with dBpoweramp and I don't know how to do that with it but MC has more tags possibilities than dBpoweramp so I figured one must be It but I tried a few but none worked so far.

Anyone knows how to do this?

Thanks in advance.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Folder Tags
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2013, 08:18:35 pm »

It isn't clear what you are doing now and what you want to do.

There are commands in JRiver to populate tags from folder and file names and to rename files using tag values.  Other than that, folder names are not related to tag values when you browse your collection.

Are you using a JRiver view based on tags (like Artist/Album) or a view based on the folder hierarchy on your hard drive? There are standard views for browsing by tag values and different views for browing by the folder hierarchy.

Is " Time Life Music" in the artist tag? Is it a folder name?

What tag you use to store the name of "each different collection"?

You can certainly have folders within folders.  When you browse by folder name ("Explorer" under Drives & devices), you can slect a folder (" Time Life Music" for example) and JRiver displays the folders under that folder.

When you browse by tags, folder names don't matter.  You would need to have the name of each different collection in a tag other than the tag containing " Time Life Music").

Bill

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2013, 04:14:20 am »

I suspect you are wanting to get JRiver to display the time life collection the way you have it arranged in windows ?

Suggest you experiment with two different library views
1) right click AUDIO (in standard view) > add new library > choose the "Disc location" template
2) right click AUDIO (in standard view) > add new library > Empty template > "customize view" will pop up > choose categories (not panes), then "add" > File Path
These two views are '6 of one and half dozen of the other' but see if you like one

3) follow as per 2) but add > Expression > Function > filefolder()

Is any of these getting close ?
if so, also see a more detailed discussion here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=80215.msg545752#msg545752

dummy

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2013, 05:04:27 pm »

Sorry If I wasn't clear enough.

I am using MC view based on tags (Artist/Album).

What I would like to do/see has to do with box sets and/or with a title with multiple albums.

I'll use Aretha Franklin's Queen of Soul box set here as an example. It is a 4 CDs box set.

The way It shows now is I clic on Aretha Franklin and I see 30 different albums that I have of her and 4 of those are Queen of Soul (Disc 01, Disc 02, Disc 03, Disc 04).

Now, what I would like to see instead is 1 album only of Queen of Soul and when I clic on it then a new page opens with the 4 different discs. That's what I meant from the beginning.

Is it possible to do so and If yes, what tag value do I have to add to each 4 discs of Queen of Soul so they appear that way. So that each title having multiples CDs have their own personal folder within the album folder of that same artist.

Sorry If I don't explain It well but although clear in my head, it is tricky to explain.

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2013, 12:44:44 am »

What I would like to do/see has to do with box sets and/or with a title with multiple albums.

I'll use Aretha Franklin's Queen of Soul box set here as an example. It is a 4 CDs box set.

The way It shows now is I clic on Aretha Franklin and I see 30 different albums that I have of her and 4 of those are Queen of Soul (Disc 01, Disc 02, Disc 03, Disc 04).

Now, what I would like to see instead is 1 album only of Queen of Soul and when I clic on it then a new page opens with the 4 different discs. That's what I meant from the beginning.

Is it possible to do so and If yes, what tag value do I have to add to each 4 discs of Queen of Soul so they appear that way. So that each title having multiples CDs have their own personal folder within the album folder of that same artist.

You can accomplish what you want with these two actions.

1. Create a new user defined tag that will hold the description of each CD in a set.  (Tools/Options/Library & folders/Manage library fields).  Click on Add new field and define the field that will contain the description for each CD in a set. Put the values you want into this tag.  Leave the field blank for CDs that are not part of a set.

2. Create a new view that uses the new database field.  (Right click on "Audio" in the tree area on the left side of the MC window and click on "Add new view".  Choose "Empty view" as a template and name your new view.  Click on OK and a dialog window will appear.  Under "View as", choose "Categories".  Add "Artist" (or "album artist" to the list under "Show categories...".  Then add Album and then your new field. You can drag the fields to get them in the order you want

Artist
Album
(your new field)

Clicking on "Set rules for file display"  to specify what files to include in this view and to set the sort order.

Click on OK when you have defined the new view.

When you use this view, you should see a list of artists as you do with the standard Artist/Album view.  However, if you clikc on "Aretha Franklin" and then on "Queen of Soul", you should see four items with the values you entered for your new field. 

If you select an Artist and album for which the new field is blank, MC wilol skip the extra step and go right to a list of tracks for the album.  (If there is only one alternative for a category, MC skips that displaying choices for thqat category.)

I tried this out and it worked for me.

Bill

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2013, 01:27:33 am »

Sorry If I wasn't clear enough.

I clic on Aretha Franklin and I see 30 different albums that I have of her and 4 of those are Queen of Soul (Disc 01, Disc 02, Disc 03, Disc 04).

Just adding to What Bill said, in any Artist /Album view, in order to have all tracks on an album grouped together (on a single-artist album), you must have the [Artist] field completed all the same eg [Aretha Franklin] and you must have the [Album] field the same eg [Queen of Soul].This will group everything together in one big album called Queen of Soul.

Then as Bill said you can create a custom tag as the third category to filter out each CD in the box set.If you are happy with just 1,2,3,4 as the description you can use the [Disk#] and add the [Disk#] as a third category in customize View > Artist/Album/Disk#. I must say here that I thought separating albums out to disk1,2,3 etc was default behaviour for Album/Artist views in the past, provided you had the [disk#] completed.Now it seems only works if you also add [disk#] as a third category....my recollection could be wrong! I am curious because you say you have disc 1,2,3,4 already ! <edit> the only way I can reproduce this is if I name the albums CD1,CD2 etc. and then it makes sense.It also suggests however, since you still have many more versions of the same album that the following applies...</edit>

Now IF the reason for having so many album versions showing is because you have multiple artists on each album (not just Aretha Franklin on every track),then you are dealing with a compilation. By definition you no longer have the [Artist] field the same for all tracks and MC will produce an album version for each artist. After all it is an Artist/Album view. At some stage you will have to deal with this and you will need to either complete the [Album Artist] tag the same for each Album or rely on [Album Artist (Auto)] tag. If confused read in Wiki about album artist (auto) or ask here

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2013, 11:54:48 am »

Just adding to What Bill said, in any Artist /Album view, in order to have all tracks on an album grouped together (on a single-artist album), you must have the [Artist] field completed all the same eg [Aretha Franklin] and you must have the [Album] field the same eg [Queen of Soul].This will group everything together in one big album called Queen of Soul.

Then as Bill said you can create a custom tag as the third category to filter out each CD in the box set.If you are happy with just 1,2,3,4 as the description you can use the [Disk#] and add the [Disk#] as a third category in customize View > Artist/Album/Disk#. I must say here that I thought separating albums out to disk1,2,3 etc was default behaviour for Album/Artist views in the past, provided you had the [disk#] completed.Now it seems only works if you also add [disk#] as a third category....my recollection could be wrong! I am curious because you say you have disc 1,2,3,4 already ! <edit> the only way I can reproduce this is if I name the albums CD1,CD2 etc. and then it makes sense.It also suggests however, since you still have many more versions of the same album that the following applies...</edit>

Now IF the reason for having so many album versions showing is because you have multiple artists on each album (not just Aretha Franklin on every track),then you are dealing with a compilation. By definition you no longer have the [Artist] field the same for all tracks and MC will produce an album version for each artist. After all it is an Artist/Album view. At some stage you will have to deal with this and you will need to either complete the [Album Artist] tag the same for each Album or rely on [Album Artist (Auto)] tag. If confused read in Wiki about album artist (auto) or ask here

Quick test (using MC 17): tracks with the same Artist and album fields and different disc# show up as a single album when you are viewing Album values.

Experiment: I actually used the Disc# field in a view to create the behavior that dummy wanted.  It works OK but seeing only the dis number (1,2,3) after you select the album (for example, "Queen of soul") is not very informative.

Bill

Samson

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 10:38:08 pm »

Quick test (using MC 17): tracks with the same Artist and album fields and different disc# show up as a single album when you are viewing Album values.
Thanks Bill for confirming this. Perhaps I was remebering something in the "Playing Now" and sorting tracks whereby Disk# affected grouping.Not sure, doesn't matter :)

Experiment: I actually used the Disc# field in a view to create the behavior that dummy wanted.  It works OK but seeing only the dis number (1,2,3) after you select the album (for example, "Queen of soul") is not very informative.

Bill

Yes agreed

Pages: [1]   Go Up