INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help with picture tagging please  (Read 1910 times)

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
Help with picture tagging please
« on: June 10, 2013, 11:11:17 am »

When I tag my pictures I can't find a field in MC18 that gets "carried through" to Win 7 image properties "title" and "subject". Can anybody please help me by letting me know which MC field is "carried through" in this way so that I can avoid having to tag the images in MC and then totle them in Windows Explorer as well. Thank you.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Help with picture tagging please
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2013, 09:54:38 pm »

I think the "Caption" field gets written to the file such that it is reflected in the Windows "Title" or "Subject".
-Craig    MO 4Media remote and player:  Android/TV/Auto | iOS | Windows 10/UWP

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 03:24:03 am »

Thank you for your reply.

I thought the "caption" field would be the best bet so I tried it first. Sadly this is not written to Windows "subject" or "title" fields.

I want to share the pictures via Picassa eventually and that picks up the Windows "subject" and "title" fields. So I want some means of getting the text to those Windows fields. Any other suggestions please?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2013, 10:59:21 am »

I am using Windows 8 but it shouldn't be any different.  When I add a Caption to a JPG image in MC, it then shows up in the Windows "Title" when looking at the Windows Explorer file properties.  Make sure you have MC set to write tag changes to files.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2013, 11:12:18 am »

Thanks very much for your reply cncb - it sounds like you're doing just what I want to do. How do you setup MC to write tag changes to file?

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2013, 11:28:30 am »

Tools | Options | General - make sure "Update Tags When File Info Changes" is checked.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2013, 03:19:06 pm »

Thank you again cncb - really helpful. I've checked and Tools/options/General "update tags when file info changes" is ticked. But only 6 of my 209 image files carried the "Caption" field into Windows.

I presume there must be something different in these files from all the others but I can't see what it is at present. I'll have to do a lot more checking - always th most difficult when you get partil success.

Thank you very much for your help again - I may ask for more!

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 09:52:59 am »

I think I've found the common denominator of the images which do have the "Caption" field in MC carried forward to the "title" field in Windows.

They all have the "author" field in Windows populated in this format

Redding,Otis

but if it is in any other format like "Picassa" the MC "Caption" field is not carried through.

cncb - if you could do me a favor could you look at a couple of your image files that you have carried through to Windows do they have the "author" field populated in the formula above? I'd be very grateful to you for confirmation I've found the work around. Thanks once again.

cncb

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 11:20:46 am »

None of my images use the "Author" field but I did try adding some via Windows properties and now the Title is not updated when I change the Caption in MC.  So, I think you are onto the problem but I can't test your theory about the multiple Authors with a comma separator because Windows uses a semicolon as the separator.

sirshambling

• Galactic Citizen
  • real soul lives on....
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2013, 04:40:03 am »

cncb - Thank you very much for taking the time to look at my theory. I will work on it a bit and let you know how I get on.
Pages: [1]   Go Up