INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Support for auto-playlist creation using extended ID3 tags  (Read 10950 times)

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
Support for auto-playlist creation using extended ID3 tags
« on: June 10, 2013, 03:33:53 pm »

Does JRiver support the creation of auto-playlists based on filters from extended ID3 tag metadata? For example, I've been using Media Monkey for a while and that allows creation of tags such as mood, occasion and temo. These are great for randomizing a really large selection of songs but getting the feeling right. Works much better than just star ratings or genres I think. I'm interested in purchasing a JRiver license but this would be a key feature for me. Thanks for any help. 

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Support for auto-playlist creation using extended ID3 tags
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 01:40:53 pm »

Ok 45 reads no replies so I downloaded the demo ;) I found that 'Mood' and 'Tempo' extended tags are visible and I can filter a smart playlist using them. One question, the 'Occasion' extended tag doesn't show up in JRiver. This is a shame as it's the one I really want. Is there any way I can get this visible? Thanks!  :)

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2013, 01:54:33 pm »

I should look more carefully before I do a lazy post.. I've found the Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Field option and added the Occasion field, it all works beautifully. I might have to pick up a copy of this product ;) Also love the additional background artwork it displays when you listen to music.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2013, 09:17:28 pm »

81 reads now - have you picked up your copy?  :-)
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Arcadian

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:06:39 pm »

Yes I'm now a happy owner :) There are a couple of things I haven't yet worked out though, perhaps you can help? Firstly, I have gone down the path of creating custom fields to allow me to have things like Occasion, Mood etc. I've also taken the option of creating a custom 'Track Genre' field in which I assign multiple genres on a track by track basis to augment the standard main 'Genre' field which I prefer to keep to a single Genre per album so I can view whole albums sorted by genre without them being broken up. Do you think using extended custom ID3 tags is the way to go for this in respect to support in other media players? Is there much support for filtering by extended ID3 tags I wonder? I just want to keep things as 'open' as possible in terms of standards.

Also, there are times when I want to remove a genre from MC and any tracks that have it assigned. If I do that by right clicking on the genre in the view pane and choosing Delete MC appears to warn me that it's about to delete *all* the tracks that just happen to have this genre applied. Am I worrying over nothing? Will it simply pluck the genre tags out? Even if the track has multiple other genres assigned? I've been too scared to risk it!

My last question is, when I want to assign multiple values to multiple tracks, I highlight the specific tracks in the list, then I go to the view pane but it only allows me to tag them all with a single value. It would be wonderful if I could pick multiple values to assign from a list. Is there a way or is this feature request time?

Any help appreciated.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 08:58:31 pm »

MC will generally write out extended tags.  You'll have to check with the other software to be sure what you're doing is supported.

When you select a value in a Pane, this value represents all the files that generated this value.  When you hit Delete, this will Delete the Files themselves from MC and possible the disc (depending upon the option you set).  So if you want to remove the files, this is a fine way to do it.  If you just want to remove the Genre, either change the genre value in the pane (via F2 and pane tagging), or change it in the Tag Action Window or File List.

You can enter Pane Tagging mode (F4) in the Panes.  This will present check boxes you can select.

You can also directly enter values in various places, or the results of calculated expressions.

Which field(s) are you trying to edit?  There are different edit types, so how you edit depends on the type.

danrgleason

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 05:48:46 pm »

Did not want to start new post in case this has been answered elsewhere and I did not see it.

I would like to also do some advanced library field tagging so I can create some smart playlists.

My question is this; Do you know if there is a library of tags out there that is somewhat detailed like Pandora has?

That would really allow me to customize my playlist based on so much more discreet and emotional qualities than what I see in the library fields.

I have in excess of 40,000 songs and I would love to fine tune my playlists based on a database that has already been compiled, but I am not sure where to look.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »

Allmusic, Discogs, and MusicBrainz have such "emotional" metadata (e.g. styles, moods, themes).  I don't know which tools can download all this for your entire library.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2013, 01:51:16 am »

The Jaicoz tagger fetches discogs styles and genres.
It is very good in auto-tagging files with various tags and cover art.
It uses MusicBrainz and discogs as sources.
Takes very long for tagging, but provides correct values.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 12:04:20 pm »

I just tried jaikoz.  It does a pretty nice job, and is a good tool.  Thanks for the info.

Fred1

• Galactic Citizen
  • Change this by choosing profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2013, 01:39:19 pm »

The features are overwhelming at first.
But after a while you will get very good results with autotagging.
And the rules for formatting you tags are fine, too.

But no RegExes - that's bad ;-).

danrgleason

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2013, 07:33:31 pm »

The Jaicoz tagger fetches discogs styles and genres.
It is very good in auto-tagging files with various tags and cover art.
It uses MusicBrainz and discogs as sources.
Takes very long for tagging, but provides correct values.

Wow, I just downloaded Jaicoz. It looks like an amzing app. I have 50,000 audio files (25K MP3, 15K Flac, and 10K WAV) and I will probably need to figure a way to do this in chunks if it takes some time. I have been really torn up over the genome project and Pandora when I compare what it does to anything I am able to do in MC. I AM an MC lover as well, but I would LOVE to be able to query my own music in the same intelligent manner as Pandora dishes out to me. I realize the amount of time spent on generating the metadata was immense, but I thought there would be some open source projects that I could query and pass songs to and retrieve a packet of metadat, and perhaps parse with JQuery and update fields in the MC database. I spent several hours looking at the open source libraries out there, and most of them are genre, sub-genre, sub-sub and so on. They don't seem to have the fine tuned finese that the genome project does with classifications like "strong back beat", "heavy use of sampled vocals",nd one of my personal favs "mild rhythmic syncopation". Thats the kind of secret sauce I want to spread on my library fields so I can write complex queries to put together playlists like "synth rock arranging, electronica influences, punk influences, mild rhythmic syncopation, acoustic rhythm piano, acoustic sonority" and be able to get 100 or so songs queued up with these attributes.
I will run several hundred songs through Jaicoz, and see if I can build upon what it gives me, to perhaps do this as a layer cake...
Thanks for your help!

Dan "Damn you Pandora" Gleason
Pages: [1]   Go Up