INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Always play two tracks together  (Read 2490 times)

larryrup

• World Citizen
Always play two tracks together
« on: June 11, 2013, 12:46:58 pm »

Is there a way to link two tracks to play anytime the first one comes up in a shuffle?  There are plenty of examples of where you would want this.  Jackson Brown For Everyman album....Sing my Songs for Me extends into For Everyman.  Another example is Ananis Mitchell's Young Man in America, following the albums first track.  An old Joni Mitchell album has another two tracks that really extend as one.  Some albums have two tracks that are meant to play back to back...always!  I figured how to do this in Itunes, but haven't figured it out in MC.  Can it be done?

Larry
Larry
HTPC, , JRiver.  Music Source:Network share drive.  Speakers:B&W P6, AMP:Yaqin 100b, DAC:BiFrost Uber, Headphones:Audeze LCD2, Sens HD600, AT W5000, Headphone Amps:XCAN v8, Woo Fireflies, Original EarMax.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Always play two tracks together
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 10:38:45 pm »

I've seen this requested a few times.  A track-linking or grouping feature or something like that (maybe connected via an Play Next field).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Djobydjoba

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 02:04:53 pm »

Support ++
Another example (if needed) : the medley in Beatles Abbey Road. No sense here to play each track separately in a playlist, it must be played together. Tonnes of examples exist.

A request for the v19 !  :)

Thanks.

wig

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 02:29:59 pm »

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=42429

(you're not the first to mention the Abbey Road medley, Djoby)

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=71196

(I went Pink Floyd, myself)

It would be a nice addition to jriver. I hope they consider it for the next version.

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 03:00:12 pm »

I've also requested this in the past, and still hope to see it implemented one day.  Also, just to expand on the request a bit.  I would like any implementation to include forcing the first of any such linked tracks to be where playback starts.  in other words, if the second of a 2 track 'set' gets selected by a smartlist, MC should automatically put the first track before the selected second track so they always play together.

It was suggested elsewhere that 'required previous' and 'required next' fields could work for this.  This would also allow more than 2 tracks to be automatically linked in this way. (very useful for Pink Floyd)

I will also add that any system would need to properly handle the case where one has several version of an album in their library, so the linking would have to be very precise to not force all versions of a track to play, for example.

Hopefully someday :)
pretend this is something funny

jondavis

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 03:09:12 pm »

I can think of a number of songs that have intros as a separate track number.
Hearing the intro to the wrong song sounds stupid.
That would be a nice feature to have.

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2013, 06:12:10 pm »

How's this for a good example of this requirement!

4 songs in 43 tracks!     http://www.allmusic.com/album/raising-the-mammoth-mw0000658602

Of course there are other less drastic examples as well lol.

Plus "School" should always be followed by "Bloody Well Right" and "We Will Rock You" should always be followed by "We Are The Champions"!  (as somewhat less drastic examples :-))

Carl.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2013, 06:13:27 pm »

Plus "School" should always be followed by "Bloody Well Right"

This was one I just played!
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

whatsup

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 09:18:28 pm »

Mine would be the first 5 tracks from Shawn Phillips 1971 Second Contribution....

what I have done is used is a program called mp3merger run in xpmode sp 2 on my windows 7 ultimate and it works like a breeze I just give it a # and locate it in the original album folder...

jctcom

• Rush - Styx - Yes - Porcupine Tree - Staple Food!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 10:00:51 pm »

Hey all.

I was just reading about "Stacks" over here:  http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Stacks

It seems to me that they would just be a hop, skip and Jump away from forcing a "stacked" group of song to play in order if any song in the group gets selected?

or am I mus-understanding the viability of that?

Carl.
Pages: [1]   Go Up