INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WIN8 PRO TABLET WITH USB2/3 AND/OR HDMI HD/HIREZ AUDIO OUT Please !  (Read 2899 times)

djgras

• Recent member

Hi
I would like to replace my Logitech squeezebox touch with a Win8 Pro tablet like :
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4365#kf
Would it works with jriver (4 GB ram ok ? 2 GB enough ?)
because IF it works with JRiver, my media center needs (for music) will be met
- usb2 hd audio out ? (some people just assume it works like on a laptop but I would prefer JRiver to confirm ... at least by giving the name of just one Win8 pro tablet with jriver working with hirez files usb out)
- touch interface
- versatility thanks to win8 pro
- 24bit / 192 khz audio files (aif, flac mostly ?)
- deal breaker : I need rj45 (I want a permanent wired gigabit connection, my house is wired for ethernet and my wife is ‘wifi-free” !) and this tablet will sit next to my hifi setup (like a Sonos device)

TX for support or answers ! Best, didier, bordeaux, france

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: WIN8 PRO TABLET WITH USB2/3 AND/OR HDMI HD/HIREZ AUDIO OUT Please !
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 10:08:42 am »

MC should work well on a Win8 tablet.  2GB of memory should be plenty for music playback.

For touch, try Theater View.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

DarkPenguin

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:57:25 am »

MC should work well on a Win8 tablet.  2GB of memory should be plenty for music playback.

For touch, try Theater View.

Unless you're using something as big as the dell 18" tablet you pretty much have to use theater view.  (Fingers crossed for a metro or at least a touch pad view for MC19.)

Lestrad

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 03:08:14 am »

I would like to replace my Logitech squeezebox

Salut Didier,

I am looking to do the same thing - use a tablet instead of the Squeezebox (too slow) and connect it via RJ45 (we are also a WiFi-free home). I understand that connecting with a USB-to-Ethernet adapter is possible. But that leaves only the headphone jack or the HDMI connector for the audio out. Is it possible to get the digital audio output from the HDMI or headphone connector? Did you manage to do it?

Thanks/Merci
Les

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 07:54:54 am »

I am looking to do the same thing - use a tablet instead of the Squeezebox (too slow) and connect it via RJ45 (we are also a WiFi-free home). I understand that connecting with a USB-to-Ethernet adapter is possible. But that leaves only the headphone jack or the HDMI connector for the audio out. Is it possible to get the digital audio output from the HDMI or headphone connector? Did you manage to do it?
If you are planning on leaving it in a single location, you could simply connect it up to a USB hub.
Many devices these days have a combined 3.5mm analog/optical connection, so it may be possible to get digital audio out through that.
HDMI also supports digital audio, but you would need an HDMI-equipped receiver for that.

The Gigabyte tablet that was originally linked to here is fairly unique, in that it actually has an ethernet port on the side.
Microsoft is also due to announce the revision of their Surface line today, which is rumored to now have an optional dock, that may simplify connecting multiple devices, and look neater if the cables all connect to the back.

Lestrad

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 08:02:57 am »

Thanks. You mean I could connect a USB hub to the single micro-USB port on the tablet and then hook both an Ethernet adapter and a USB DAC to the hub?

If so, and I hope it's possible, would there be a way to connect to my existing DAC, which has only Toslink and coax inputs?

Thanks again for you help!

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 09:05:58 am »

Thanks. You mean I could connect a USB hub to the single micro-USB port on the tablet and then hook both an Ethernet adapter and a USB DAC to the hub?
If so, and I hope it's possible, would there be a way to connect to my existing DAC, which has only Toslink and coax inputs?
If it's a Windows 8 Pro tablet (which this topic is about) there should be no problem doing that.

I would look for a tablet which has a combined analog/optical 3.5mm connector, if you need Toslink. Otherwise you will need a USB > S/PDIF adapter. (or a USB DAC)

Lestrad

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 10:52:26 am »

If it's a Windows 8 Pro tablet (which this topic is about) there should be no problem doing that.
Well, I was leaning towards an Android Tablet (Archos)... Do you think Android 4 can handle both network and audio duties through a USB hub?

Thanks for the help, and I'm sorry if I've hijacked the thread. Actually if I can find what I need in a Windows tablet, it's not really against my religion. I'll keep digging.

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2013, 11:48:12 am »

Well, I was leaning towards an Android Tablet (Archos)... Do you think Android 4 can handle both network and audio duties through a USB hub?

Thanks for the help, and I'm sorry if I've hijacked the thread. Actually if I can find what I need in a Windows tablet, it's not really against my religion. I'll keep digging.
I have no idea whether Android devices even support USB Ethernet adapters. I know that DAC selection will be considerably smaller than with a Windows 8 Pro tablet. (which is essentially a PC and will work with anything)

And you won't be able to run Media Center on the device, you will only be able to use the "Gizmo" remote.
Pages: [1]   Go Up