INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: covolution filters  (Read 1130 times)

cooderhead

• Recent member
covolution filters
« on: June 13, 2013, 04:52:04 pm »

Can someone help me with the use of convolution filters? I "browse" on MC, but do not understand what I am looking at. I have a small living room......some 300 sq. feet. I am playing 5 speakers and a DAC. My speakers are small but decent.  My two main speakers are Bose and surround sound are Boston Acoustics. I also use a Yamaha center speaker.

Can I improve my listening experience using convolution filters, and if so...any recommendations?    Cooderhead

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: covolution filters
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 05:58:08 pm »

Can someone help me with the use of convolution filters? I "browse" on MC, but do not understand what I am looking at. I have a small living room......some 300 sq. feet. I am playing 5 speakers and a DAC. My speakers are small but decent.  My two main speakers are Bose and surround sound are Boston Acoustics. I also use a Yamaha center speaker.

Can I improve my listening experience using convolution filters, and if so...any recommendations?    Cooderhead

Convolution is a little complicated to get going, and for it to work you need to make custom filters for your own specific room.  To do that you need software and measuring equipment ( a microphone, etc.).  There is some free software available (DRC and REW).  REW (Room Equalization Wizard) has a really solid FAQ and manual, and I'd encourage you to have a look at it : http://www.hometheatershack.com/roomeq/

I think convolution makes a large and noticeable difference when used as part of a bi-amped system to linearize crossovers or other EQ, but I personally don't think it makes a positive difference in my system when I use it for room equalization. However, many other people whose ears I trust think it makes a huge and positive difference when used for room correction, so don't be discouraged because it isn't my cup of tea :-)
Pages: [1]   Go Up