INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Options Dialog crash debugging  (Read 3184 times)

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Options Dialog crash debugging
« on: June 14, 2013, 08:23:00 am »

We haven't been able to reproduce this problem at JRiver, but many people are reporting it so there must be some interaction going on that we need to replicate here.  It could be Media Networking, auto import, NAS storage, an audio driver, a USB device, etc.

We need to start at the most vanilla Media Center setup and then add complexity until the dialog starts causing crashes.  Start with auto-import turned off, Media Networking turned off, clear your library (back it up first), re-install the latest Media Center build, unplug any USB DAC devices, set your audio to play through the internal Mac speakers, re-boot your computer.  Now try using the Options dialog and see if it causes a crash - hopefully not!  Then turn on Media Networking, wait a bit and test the Options dialog.  Then restore your library and test the dialog.  Then plug in your USB devices and test. 

Please report your results here.  Thanks much for helping!
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
Re: Options Dialog crash debugging
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 10:06:37 am »

John- I reverted my system using your instructions above.

For a while I was not able to produce a crash by clicking around.

Next I turned off logging, quit MC and re-started. (BTW when re starting the logging option was enabled)

I then choose Tools->Options->Audio and Enabled "Play Files from Memory"

I clicked OK and then crashed. Will email you the log file.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 10:11:25 am »

And now it crashes every time I go into Tools->Options and click ok, even if I do not change a value. Clicking Cancel does not cause a crash.

Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 10:35:22 am »

Ok here is a different manner to reproduce it.

Again I reset my entire system and re installed the latest build.

I found by going into Tools->Options->Audio and setting Volume Mode to "Disabled Volume" clicking ok. And then going back in again and setting Audio to "play files from memory" and clicking OK I got a crash as well.

Barr

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 10:46:57 am »

Call me obsessive, ok here is an easy way (I hope) to reproduce it.

Clean install again, all setting changed as above, and a reboot.

Launch MC.

Tools->Options->Audio - Change Volume Mode to to "Disabled Volume". Click OK.

Tools->Options->Audio - Change Memory play to disabled or enabled (depending on what you have it set to) and click OK.

Crash.

If you go back into Tools->Options->Audio and set Volume Model to "System Volume" it no longer crashes.

And if you set it back to "Disabled Volume" and go into another menu item, such as Auto import and toggle that setting and click OK it also crashes.

Log file sent.

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:48:44 am »

OK Mr Obsessive,  ;D - You may well be onto something with the volume set to disabled, the setting I ALWAYS use as I use the volume control on my preamp so it seemed reasonable to set it to disabled within the program.

I have reported problems trying to use build .196 in that builds thread and have installed .195 which is less problematic for me. Having read your post I set volume to system and I find I can use the Options menu without problems. I should mention that I regularly find when using MC that it resets the volume from disabled to one of the other setting, I can't remember which, and I have to set it back to disabled.

The point for mentioning this is that this may explain why as I have reported in the past, the Options pages suddenly start working as normal after a period of time. Maybe this coincides with the program altering the volume setting off of disabled?

I have now reinstalled version .196 and although much better than it was earlier today (when volume was disabled), the music is suddenly stopping with beach ball spinning for a time before continuing to play for a while before stopping again. I have never experienced this behaviour before in any build.

I would like to experiment a little more with the two latest builds before following John's instructions to go back to new install; but will do so over the weekend.

Peter

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 01:32:34 pm »

Yes I usually have that option enabled as well, interesting too that it is the only option of the three (System, Internal, Disabled) which does not actually show up once you set it. In other words after enabling Audio->Volume to Disabled and clicking ok, if you go back in to view your settings in Audio, the "Volume mode:" has no value when set to disabled, if set to either of the other two settings it will show up like this: "Volume Mode:System Volume".

At least now I know how to avoid the crash...

JohnT

« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 03:22:09 pm »

Thanks guys.  With your help, I think we have this one fixed.  The key clue was "Disabled volume" not showing in the dialog after being selected.  

Please try tonight's build.
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 04:51:25 pm »

Thank you John - I have downloaded the new version and so far rock solid, cannot get it to crash anymore!

Barr

Peter_RN

• World Citizen
  • Old Guys Rule... the older I get the better I was.
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2013, 04:14:35 am »

Latest version .197 is running like a dream. Loaded this morning (didn't bother to reboot) but still unable to catch it out.  :o

Running Optical out to Dac and streaming to renderer simultaneously without any issues, switching between screens and accessing the Option pages from time to time and I haven't seen the program close or the spinning beach ball yet today.   ;D

The SSDP server is also still running currently showing up-time of 1:24:28 so again, success.

Excellent work John and great observation from Barr; this is a big step forward IMHO.

Thanks again,
Peter

mvilla

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 02:51:37 pm »

Thanks guys.  With your help, I think we have this one fixed

Thank you, John ! It works now !
Massimo

PS: Waiting now for you and team to fix "Sound problem (clicks, stuttering, etc.)"  ;D

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 04:11:07 pm »

Waiting now for you and team to fix "Sound problem (clicks, stuttering, etc.)"  ;D
Read from here downward:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81357.msg554148#msg554148
Pages: [1]   Go Up