INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio, classical, grouping on list of files in an album  (Read 1016 times)

aigenga

• Recent member
Audio, classical, grouping on list of files in an album
« on: June 14, 2013, 03:28:00 pm »

For multiple composition albums like the 9 Beethoven Symphonies, I have each part of each Symphony labeled in the Grouping Field of the Tag facility.  So each Symphony has 4 or more parts (movements) and each is labeled according to the symphony it belongs to.  But, when I select the album (all 9 Symphonies by a certain conductor and orchestra) and try to then further select the Symphony I want to play I cannot group the list by the Grouping Field.  Instead I am offered to group by album or whatever.  This doesn't work for me.

If I am not mistaken, the Grouping Field used to work as it should - as a way to group the pieces in the list.

Arindelle

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Audio, classical, grouping on list of files in an album
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2013, 08:34:42 am »

Maybe I'm missing something or maybe you are confusing the grouping field like in iTunes? Its a database field like any other. Personally, I use grouping as a "Supra-Genre" eg; Grouping Classical, Genre Baroque, Style Concerto etc.

You can get what you want using what you have already tagged by setting up a custom view adding grouping. Customize a view .. choose Pane and add grouping as an extra column. Is it a good idea in the long run? Not so sure .. You might want to think how many different composers are going to have a Symphony 1 and if you have different versions of the same symphony/same composer, etc.

I would probably set up a custom database field, (probably could more or less auto-populate by making it an expression field) and then set-up specific rules in a view to show or hide when applicable, .... if this is really important to you that is (or you could just divide your symphony set into Nine albums too  ;D)

csimon

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2013, 09:26:04 am »

I don't think MC places any specific meaning on the Grouping field and things won't be automatically organised based on what's in there, it is just provided as a convenient tag for you to populate as you wish.

If you want to be able to filter and sort by the Grouping field, or any other field for that matter, then I think you can add the field to the list of columns that is displayed and filtered by (there's probably an wrrow or some other symbol on the column heading line), or you can create a custom (category?) view which includes Grouping in the level between Artist (or Composer?) and Album?

I use Grouping to deal with boxed sets, i.e. multi-volume CDs.  The overall boxed set name goes in Album and the individual CD titles go in Grouping, and Disk # is also populated as necessary. Anywhere there is a view with a category of Album, I have instered a level before it which is an expression that evaluates to Grouping if it's not empty or else Album.

aigenga

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 04:37:29 pm »

Thanks for your responses.  Where do I look to learn how to customize my views and will any customization I do here have an effect on JRemote? 

csimon

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2013, 05:06:49 pm »

It depends on how you are using MC as to where the customisation is done.

a. You can modify the fields that you are looking at and sorting by "on the fly" - if you can see a list of files in the main window then try clicking on the arrow in the field headings bar, you'll find options to group by and sort by and to enable and disable which fields that are displayed. (like a spreadsheet). Just try playing around with the front-end.

b. Or you can customise the browsing window. Right-click on the Audi menu on the left for example, and select Add or Customise View.

c. If you're using Theater View, then the customisations are done in Tools/Options/Theater View.

d. If you're using Gizmo, WebGizmo, oir any other remote control application like JRemote, the customisation is done in Tools/Options/Media Network/Advanced/Customise Views for Gizmo

e. If you're using a DLNA device to browse with then the customisation is done in Tools/Options/Media Network/Add or Configure DLNA Servers/Customize Views
Pages: [1]   Go Up