INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Gapless playback not working [solved]  (Read 14589 times)

jhwalker

• Recent member
Gapless playback not working [solved]
« on: June 15, 2013, 03:01:11 pm »

I am using latest beta as of this writing (.197) and gapless playback is not working.  Using USB out to Meridian Explorer, bit perfect output (i.e., no resampling or DSP effects), and back-to-back tracks (e.g., in classical recordings) have a very quick fadeout and very quick fade-in, resulting in a gap on the order of 0.1s between each track.

"Use gapless for sequential album tracks" is selected.

JohnT

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Gapless playback not working
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2013, 02:59:45 pm »

I can't reproduce this using a USB connected DAC.  For example, tracks 11,12,13 from a 44.1 rip of Abbey Road play seamlessly for me. What format are your files (so I can test here)?
John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

jhwalker

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 09:30:19 pm »

My sincere apologies, I was wrong  :-\

I've tried it now with several other gapless albums and it works just fine.  The recording I was having problems with is the original Britten recording of his own "War Requiem" - every track had a very tiny fade out - gap - fade in, which is quite disconcerting . . . but I went back to the original CD and it plays exactly the same way!  IOW, this is just the way the CD was released, for some reason, not a problem with my rip or with your software.

So sorry to have been misleading.

JohnT

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2013, 07:33:27 am »

No problem, thanks for letting us know.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2013, 04:14:01 pm »

Although I downloaded the license for MC for Mac back in February, I just started using it last month and have switched over to MC for my server.  However, although gapless playback is enabled, I'm not experiencing gapless playback.  How can I correct this?

JohnT

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 07:29:14 pm »

Although I downloaded the license for MC for Mac back in February, I just started using it last month and have switched over to MC for my server.  However, although gapless playback is enabled, I'm not experiencing gapless playback.  How can I correct this?
Not all DLNA devices support gapless playback.  Which DAC are you using, and is it connected via USB or network?

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2013, 01:44:19 pm »

I'm using a Meitner MA-1 linked via USB to my Mac Mini.  I had a similar problem with Amarra, but no problem at all with Audirvana.  It seems to be only happening with high resolution files.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2013, 02:54:59 pm »

I'm also noticing lack of gapless playback with Red Book files.

JohnT

« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2013, 10:04:08 pm »

What are your settings in Tools / Options / Audio  for Bitstreaming and Track Change?

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 03:16:36 pm »

I'll check after work today.  What should the settings be?

JohnT

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 03:25:06 pm »

"Use gapless for sequential album tracks" should be checked.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 04:49:34 pm »

Will check and try it out.  Will let you know if I'm still having problems.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 10:21:17 pm »

"Use gapless for sequential album tracks" should be checked.

Yes, it was already checked, so I don't understand why I'm having this problem.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2013, 04:09:22 pm »

No matter what settings I try, I continue to have problems with gapless playback.  Sometimes the problem resolves, but returns during the next listening session or during the next album in the same session or sometimes with different songs within the same album.  I review high end audio equipment for an online publication and need to have stability with my player.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2013, 04:11:42 pm »

Maybe you're playing to a DLNA device?  Not many will support gapless play.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2013, 04:57:33 pm »

As I mentioned in a prior post:

I'm using a Meitner MA-1 linked via USB to my Mac Mini.  I had a similar problem with Amarra, but no problem at all with Audirvana.

JohnT

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2013, 07:50:29 am »

In Tools / Options / Audio, do you have "Bitstreaming: None" and "Prebuffering: 6 seconds"?  If you click on "DSP & Output format...", are there any DSP options checked?
What format are the files that won't play gapless?

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2013, 11:11:28 pm »

I tried those suggestions and I still do not have gapless playback with some files.  I'm having problems with both Red Book and high resolution files; both ripped files and those downloaded from HDtracks.  One thing: I hear the hard drive whirring between tracks.  Could it be there's a synching issue between the hard drive and the software?  I've attached a screen shot of the Player options.

JohnT

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 09:40:56 am »

I tried those suggestions and I still do not have gapless playback with some files.  I'm having problems with both Red Book and high resolution files; both ripped files and those downloaded from HDtracks.  One thing: I hear the hard drive whirring between tracks.  Could it be there's a synching issue between the hard drive and the software?  I've attached a screen shot of the Player options.
If both tracks are on the same hard drive, there shouldn't be any noticeable delay due to drive spinup.  Can you give me an example of two tracks that should be gapless when played sequentially and aren't working?  Ideally, you could dropbox them to me and I could try them here.
**edit** actually, why don't you first try playing the Redbook ones to the on-board sound card on the Mac and see if gapless works in that case. Might tell us something.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2013, 07:29:22 am »

How would I play files on the on-board sound card on the Mac?

JohnT

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2013, 12:47:15 pm »

Go to: Tools / Options / Audio / Output mode settings...
then for "Device", select "Built-in output". 

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2013, 09:11:58 pm »

I made the change the settings in MC to allow allow playback via the Mac's sound card.  However, after making the change, instead of listening through the Mac's sound card, I decided to switch back to the prior setting and listened to a number of albums of varying resolutions that were giving me problems and I've had no problems.  I'm listening to The Beatles "Love" in 24/96 and for the first time I am hearing it completely gapless.  Previously, if playing gaplessly, this would only last for a few tracks, then revert to having gaps again.  No more!  Awesome!

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 09:48:31 pm »

Maybe celebrated too soon with "Love".  However, still playing much better than before.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2013, 09:04:23 am »

I switched the output to the Mac's sound card and am listening with headphones via the Mac's headphone output.  No problems at all.  I'm getting concerned that there's a compatibility issue with my Meitner DAC.  Is there any way to address this?

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 10:19:48 am »

Maybe it's not a problem with the Meitner.  I was just listening to a Red Book version of "Dark Side Of The Moon" and I heard audible gaps between the tracks.  This is becoming quite frustrating.  Somehow, I feel there's a problem between the hard drive and the player.  The hard drive is new and my previous drive was a 1TB Oyen Digital drive connected via FireWire to the Mac Mini.  It was completely silent when used for streaming with both Audirvana and MC.  This new drive is a 4TB Western Digital drive connected via USB.

uvrmd

• Recent member
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2013, 07:55:34 am »

I'm also noticing that the hard drive starts up and stops even while not in use.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2013, 01:57:02 pm »

Maybe try copying an album or two from your external HD to your local HD (the one in your Mac Mini) and see if it works properly. That will eliminate the external HD as a suspect.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

uvrmd

• Recent member
Re: Gapless playback not working [solved]
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2013, 03:39:58 pm »

Replaced the hard drive under warranty and everything's working fine!
Pages: [1]   Go Up