INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Any plans to do Android version?  (Read 2562 times)

Lane

Any plans to do Android version?
« on: June 13, 2013, 07:51:58 pm »

This is rather off-topic on this windows section but I don't know where to ask.

I have been playing around with JRiver and I love it. May I ask JRiver if there are any plans to do an Android version of JRiver? Thank you.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Any plans to do Android version?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 09:53:25 pm »

Have you checked out Gizmo, JRiver's Android app?

Lane

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 09:55:51 pm »

Have you checked out Gizmo, JRiver's Android app?

Gizmo is a controller. I am looking for a media server on Android. Is this available or even possible?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 06:08:37 am »

Gizmo is our only Android software at this time.  Could you describe why you want a DLNA server?  How do you intend to use it?

Vincent Kars

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 09:41:32 am »

It would be nice if Gizmo could the local audio on the phone without connecting to a JRiver server.
Would make it more versatile.

Jamesey

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 11:23:11 am »

One reason to have an Android server would be to run off Android tablets. I currently run off a Windows 8, Intel Atom based tablet. Tablets are ideal as music servers. They run silent and serve as a beautiful display of what's playing. The downside is high costs, and right now Windows 8 tablets cost much more than Android tablets for the same performance.

MM_switcher

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 12:44:06 pm »

+1

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 12:52:21 pm »

One reason to have an Android server would be to run off Android tablets. I currently run off a Windows 8, Intel Atom based tablet. Tablets are ideal as music servers. They run silent and serve as a beautiful display of what's playing. The downside is high costs, and right now Windows 8 tablets cost much more than Android tablets for the same performance.
Have you used Gizmo?  It would do approximately what you want if you connected to a server somewhere.

In my home, I use a Windows PC as an HTPC.  It's connected to a receiver and that is connected to the TV.  Both connections are HDMI.  I often use Gizmo as a remote control to play audio, etc.  In my case, the Android is my phone or a tablet and it's within reach.  This also allows me to play audio through the receiver, but keep the TV off and still see what's playing.

Jamesey

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 08:06:12 pm »

I have used Gizmo. As a tablet-sized display interface, its Playing Now screen not as good as Theater View, where I use the Info panel. I know I can just use a PC and use the TV as a display, but having a dedicated screen there is a more premium experience. If I'm going to put a tablet there anyway, I won't need the PC. It's not easy to find a silent PC, and one would cost as much as the tablet anyway.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 08:53:25 pm »

I have used Gizmo. As a tablet-sized display interface, its Playing Now screen not as good as Theater View, where I use the Info panel. I know I can just use a PC and use the TV as a display, but having a dedicated screen there is a more premium experience.

I tend to agree with this, and I think it goes to what I've been saying about making Gizmo on a tablet a true "Second screen" experience, a replication of Theater View if you will, then once something is playing (music or movie file) the tablet shows the info screen with the new gizmo theater view controls accessible or overlaid.

As it is I think Gizmo is fine for phones, but could be so much more on tablets (though this is a very common complaint on android tablets).

Vincent Kars

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2013, 01:35:07 pm »

Android is a fast growing market.
My experience with Android players is that they are in general pretty down in functionality compared with JRiver.
If JRiver comes to Android, I’am willing to pay.

Jamesey

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 09:32:09 pm »

Payment is a big issue, now that you brought it up. Android apps don't usually go for the $50 that JRiver does, so it'd be hard to justify making a full featured Android version.

Still, it'd be good to have a Gizmo that has more features from Theater View.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2013, 10:48:56 pm »

Commercial reality is relevant here.

There's a balance between appealing to all and managing the spread of the platform.

My concern is dilution of the original product quality. Each different OS will have an overhead associated with it. Keeping tabs on the development of 2 platforms would be a stretch. Let the development team learn from the move to include Mac, have a holiday, and then think what's next.

MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2013, 06:18:22 am »

Commercial reality is relevant here.

There's a balance between appealing to all and managing the spread of the platform.

My concern is dilution of the original product quality. Each different OS will have an overhead associated with it.Keeping tabs on the development of 2 platforms would be a stretch. Let the development team learn from the move to include Mac, have a holiday, and then think what's next.
Thanks.  Our thinking is similar to yours.  We have the beast almost under control again.  We're not going hunting again right away.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2013, 06:34:26 am »

Thanks.  Our thinking is similar to yours.  We have the beast almost under control again.  We're not going hunting again right away.

I work in a project environment (not IT) and I know from experience that there are times to go "blue sky" & consider all that could be and there are times to say "no" and stay the course. When you're in the middle of execution, the right answer is the latter. Unfortunately, human nature is such that as development progresses the tweaks and better ideas come to the surface. It's a real discipline to park them and then sift through all concepts later and work on the "right" one(s). This can suck in many ways. It's also easy for me to say because MC works on the platform I've selected and it covers my needs.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up