INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Importing versus Access  (Read 1178 times)

mkelly

• Recent member
Importing versus Access
« on: June 16, 2013, 07:49:51 pm »

This may seem too basic a question--help needed with music files.
I have ripped some of my music files with dBPoweramp and saved them on my C:drive in FLAC format.
Why can't J River just "see" and play these files.
It seems that I have to "import" them into J River first. Am I doing something wrong?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Importing versus Access
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2013, 07:53:20 pm »

Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

csimon

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 04:59:22 am »

I think you might be able to right-click on a file in Windows and Open With MC? If your file assocations are set so that MC is the default program then double-clicking on a file will also work.

There might be a "file/folder" view within MC that will allow you to view the contents of your disk without importing them, but not sure - have a look around!

However, if you want to be able to sort and categorise your files in some way other than your physical directory structure then you will have to import them into the program, tag them properly, and set up your custom views.

neilh

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:49:30 am »

I am a newbie to jriver mc. I have not begun importing yet as my question is: I have 3 tb of music all on external harddrives. How will MC 'import' this much music? Where will it try to store it?  My assumpion is that it will import metadata only and leave the actual file on the drives. ??

Thanks

Neil Harvey
Hong Kong

Arindelle

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:38:01 am »

I am a newbie to jriver mc. I have not begun importing yet as my question is: I have 3 tb of music all on external harddrives. How will MC 'import' this much music? Where will it try to store it?  My assumpion is that it will import metadata only and leave the actual file on the drives. ??
No worries your assumption is correct. If you decide to allow it in the autoimport options, it could import the album artwork (folder.jpg files) to a directory you can specify -- there are some cache files in the Roaming directory. Your music stays where it is, unless you choose to move it of course (possible via Library tools).
Pages: [1]   Go Up