INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Interesting thread?  (Read 1561 times)

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
Interesting thread?
« on: March 24, 2002, 02:22:33 am »

Is version 8 ready for a wider beta now?  Can we put it on our downloads page?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
RE:Interesting thread?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2002, 02:25:31 am »

Yup!

Rusty2

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2002, 02:39:40 am »

Nope.  Unless you have done a lot of work in the last two hours!!

zevele1

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2002, 02:55:10 am »

As someone not very good at computer,i will say not yet.Even if the last built runs nicely on my computer.But mp3 encoder less!!!!!!.But i do not realize how people can deal running beta.So  it is just my opinion

JollyJim

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2002, 03:02:19 am »

JimH
I'd say no.
Although, for me, it's stable and does what I want, there's still some unhappy people on the site. I think, in your shoes, I would be mostly concerned with the extra facilities that have gone into v8. Although, it's all very good stuff, it seems to be very complicated to understand what some of these extras do and how to access them. Also, I think a complete 'glossary' would be a good idea. A new user of jukeboxes would'nt know what 'command lines', 'mp3 configurators', 'metamorphosis' etc are. Admittedly, there's no need to go into some of the more complex areas, but, would a new user know that?
Having said that, I think it's an outstanding product and I think your staff (and yourself of course) should be congratulated for, not only the work they have put into this, but the way they have conducted themselves on Interact, sometimes with fairly awkward customers.

Power to yer elbow! as we say over here.

Jim

JimH

• Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2002, 03:24:43 am »

JollyJim,
There will always be unhappy people.  No matter if MJ is perfect.  Sometimes it won't work because of other problems.
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

sekim

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2002, 03:55:47 am »

JimH

Speaking from and maybe for the techno-inept, trust me I'm an expert, I think I would wait a bit longer. MJ 8 is certainly better then the first time I downloaded it, but still somewhat of a pain. Metamorphis? I read the threads looking for what it is but only come up with, 'it's much cooler than skins'. Not much help there, also looking in TDZ didn't really answer the question. There are other things that come to mind but as an example it points out some short comings. There are a few inconsistencies in the current release as well. EQ being one of them. Still don't have it, but Nikolay asked us not report about that problem in the beta thread.

You might be saying so what? But chances are pretty good that a large majority of users will be basically in the same boat as me. Trying like crazy to figure it out. Here is an example. Look at what I put everyone through just trying to get a picture posted in interact!!

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2002, 04:37:35 am »

Speaking Of Skins

I Was Wondering (I Don't Use Any Skins So I Don't Know)

But If The Version 7.2.280 Skins Were Not Compatable With MJ8 Skins Maybe J River Could Create A Program That Could Read The Old Skins Convert The Data And Create New MJ8 Compatable Skins.

Creedence_Clearwater_Revival-Live_In_Europe-06-Commotion.mp3
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

ZRocker

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2002, 04:37:43 am »

I think it's very, very close to ready.  But, the popup DSP window everytime you click Play from a stopped state must be fixed (no one will accept that...it's driving me nuts).  That bug started when EQ and DSP were moved to the Playback Settings button (233, I think).

I'd give it another week...April 1st...haha (nice day to fool everybody).

SeanC

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2002, 05:06:44 am »

I don't think it's ready yet - I still can't reliably use v8 to accomplish my daily music tasks without encountering several issues that range from cosmetic to crashes.

sdcoochie

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2002, 05:28:11 am »

I would have to say most of the functionality is pretty good. You do not want to put it out until it is ready. I know too many people who get confused and frustrated if the beta is not ready and they have problems that they give up on the software. As a jukebox MJ is the best, but it is also the most complicated and it takes some time to learn all of it's features, once learned however, we will all agree that it is the best. Now you must show people it is the best by not having to many noticable bugs. The eq situation (ZRocker) mentions is a big bug, the DSP seems to be going up and down in volume still, you can not encode properly with the MPC plugin. These may seem to be small bugs but a new user wants to see a fully functioning piece of software not obvious bugs. It will also built customer appreciation of your product which may intern develope more dedicated customers (like the ones you have beta testing). These dedicated customers may never go back to another jukebox if this version is noticably bug free, which it is not at the moment. You are getting close give it a build or two - just my 2 cents.

Alonso N

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2002, 07:23:03 am »

I'd say nope, because there seem to still be alot of folks who can't rip and/or burn cleanly or at all with 8.

Seems to be you would want to get those 'basics' further along before a wider release. Folks will be more understanding of glitches in the frills the core functions are solid.

-Nef

Charlemagne 8

« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2002, 08:49:26 am »

I know that Nikolay said not to report bugs in DSP or EQ but they MUST be fixed before a final release. The way they are now, they are extremely awkward even if they worked right which they don't. Put the buttons back. The problem with burning will be ongoing as new burners are coming out all the time. That will just have to be dealt with as it comes up.
CVIII
That's right.
I'm cool.

Scronch

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2002, 06:29:23 pm »

MJ7.2 is nice and stable.  Sell no MJ8 until its time.

Scronch

Kerensky

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2002, 10:52:59 pm »

Just out of curiosity, when you make Ver. 8  a wider Beta release, will that mean that you are done adding new features, and from them on work solely on stability? I hope not because there are still some features I'd like added to the skinning engine.
Pages: [1]   Go Up