INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [Library Sync] Sync Playlists without (ever) having synced Files  (Read 834 times)

DrKNo

• World Citizen

Hello everyone,

I'm a MC Noob, I hope I'm not asking a silly question here.
Suppose I have to PCs, A and B. Prior to installing J River, Bot PCs maintain an exact copy of the same library. On each machine, the files even are on the same path (Same path, but of course each on the respective harddrive of each pc. Music Directory for both PCs is E:\)

So I installed MC on both machines and imported my Music, so from my understanding, the libraries are identical up to now.

I chose File -> Library -> Sync Library and only checked "Merge Playlists". My Server side Playlists appeared on the Client, but they were all empty.

Two Questions:
Is Syncing playlists possible without syncing Files? It would take me a darn while to upload all those files, plus it would probably interfere with my backup service (recursive backup situation?)`

To which directory does MC copy incoming files if I chose to sync files? The folder structure of the server or the one specified in the Options?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Edit: Better Title

dlazz

• Recent member
Re: [Library Sync] Sync Playlists without (ever) having synced Files
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 10:57:33 am »

Have you solved the problem with empty Playlists?

DrKNo

• World Citizen
Re: [Library Sync] Sync Playlists without (ever) having synced Files
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 03:02:42 pm »

I think I understood it at least  ?

Library sync seems to correlate files by the path rules, not by the absolute path.

Go to Tools-> Options -> File Location, that are the rules I'm talking about.

It seems to me that the following is true:
When the client receives a playlist from the server, he looks at the metadata of the included files and tries to find them via these rules. If he does, that he keeps the file. If not, the file is silently dropped from the playlist.

In the beginning, I had the File Locations set to standard values, so the client could not find a single file, resulting in empty playlists. Please let me know if you can confirm this.

I'm currently reorganizing my files to fit a scheme with only two or three if-clauses, which needs a lot of finetuning. Looking at MediaCenters abilities, this seems to be worthwhile though.
Pages: [1]   Go Up