INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sorting FLAC Files  (Read 3608 times)

Splungeworthy

• Recent member
Sorting FLAC Files
« on: June 23, 2013, 09:34:38 am »

Need to know how to sort by track# FLAC files (the "sort inside groups by" view).  All of my other files sort by track #, but with FLAC albums they seem to be sorting by song name alphabetically. I use the custom view and sort by track# first, then by filename.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Sorting FLAC Files
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 10:37:39 am »

The file type doesn't affect the set sorting, unless your sort includes File Type.  So probably you might have Disc # set inconsistently for those FLAC files.  Set Disc # to empty for single discs, and consistently from 1 to n for multi-disc sets.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Splungeworthy

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 07:44:17 am »

I noticed there are no track #'s in the filenames (only in the track # column). I imported these tracks using JRiver, from cd rips, so the file naming format is JRiver's, not mine.  Is there a way to insert the track #'s in all FLAC filenames so I don't have to do them one at a time? In options the filename rule is [track#]- [name].

Listener

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 10:17:56 am »

Are you browsing by tags or by file names?  If you are browsing by tags (as most standard views do), it won't matter whether the file names contain the track number.

Bill

Splungeworthy

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 12:29:49 pm »

I'm not sure what you mean.  When I click on an album I want to play, mp3 and wma tracks are always sorted by track # within the album view.  Albums that are encoded as FLAC files are always shown as sorted alphabetically by name of song.   When I click on the track column and select sort by track #, the tracks rearrange and sort by track #.  If I click away from that album view and then come back, the tracks are back to being sorted alphabetically by name.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 12:46:27 pm »

MC's default sorting uses the follow sort order:

[Album Artist (auto)]
   [Album]
   [Disc #]
   [Track #]
   [Name]

Because your FLAC's appear not to to have Track numbers, they default to sorting by the last key, Name.

Add track numbers.  You can pull them from the filenames if they exist there.

Splungeworthy

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 02:48:12 pm »

The filenames do not have track numbers.  If I were to mass delete the disc # in the sort, would that fix it? How would I do that? If I can't do that, is there a way to modify the filenames to include the track #'s (because they are in the track # column).  I would only need to do this with FLAC files.

MrC

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 04:49:15 pm »

Modifying tags can be done in any of several places.  For now, expand Action Window > Tag.  Find in the upper left corner a drop-down menu. Select Also Show > Disc # from the menu.  Find now the Disc # field in the Tag Action Window.

Select all the tracks for an album.  If the disc # varies, MC will indicate that in the Disc # field in the TAW.  If all the values are the same (including empty), one value will  be displayed.  You can edit tags there by clicking in the value cell.

You can also tag in-place in a file list.  Select the files and hit F2.  There are ways to focus the edit cell on the clicked items.  The cells for the selected rows are edited.

Or you can in-place edit in a panes column.

You don't need to rename the files to include the track # to affect the sort order.  But if you want to rename, use the Rename, Move & Copy tool.

Splungeworthy

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 02:45:18 pm »

If it helps any, the files are ordered the same way in my music folder on the computer, so it must be how they were sorted there when they were ripped (even though I used JRiver to rip them).  I also noted that some recent mp3's that I imported also did not have track #'s in the filename, which had never happened before.  Would Mp3Tag be a good program to fix this problem?  I really don't want to modify these tags one at a time if I don't have to.

MrC

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »

MC will do your tagging just fine.

How ever your files are ordered in Windows, they can be also ordered in MC.  Perhaps your Explorer has them sorted in Date Created or Date Modified order.  You can do the same thing in MC.   Use the Audio > Panes view.  Add a Date Created and/or Date Modified column to MC in the File List.  The sort by one of those columns to see if you can reproduce the sort you want.

Splungeworthy

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 02:54:24 pm »

Used the Rename tool, checked off filename only, and selected the "artist-track number-name" rule. Went to files view and highlighted FLAC files only, and bingo! Done!  All FLAC filenames now contain the track #, and are properly sorted within albums.  Thanks for all your help.  I was sniffing around the Rename option for awhile, I just didn't realize that when you click on the magnifying glass icon, it gives you a choice on filename rules.  For some reason, this did not work when going to the options menu.  At this point, I could care less how these files look in Explorer, since I plan on sticking with JRiver for the duration.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up