INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 1 CD with 17 tracks becomes 17 individual CDs??  (Read 2524 times)

wawaron

• Recent member
1 CD with 17 tracks becomes 17 individual CDs??
« on: June 23, 2013, 03:09:55 pm »

Hi I don't know if this as been addressed before. When ripping certain CDs, such as a compilation or the such MC doesn't put them in one CD but rather 17 different CDs.To play this CD now must create a playlist for the 17 tracks. Is there a way of viewing the CD while being ripped to see if it is all under 1 CD and not 17?? Could a box to be check or default setting be setup so that I can tell MC that all the tracks belong to the same CD and should all be under 1 title.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: 1 CD with 17 tracks becomes 17 individual CDs??
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 04:37:37 pm »

Usually this happens when a compilation disc has multiple artists on each track, but does not have a global "Album Artist" for them to be grouped by. (typically (Multiple Artists) or Various Artists)
Or if you are grouping by [Artist] and not [Album Artist (auto)]

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 02:03:38 pm »

I have the same issue. The problem in my case is that MC thinks the album type is "Single artist (complete)" and there doesn't seem to be a way of convincing it of the contrary. Or is there?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2013, 03:00:08 pm »

Select all the tracks in the affected album.  Export it as a CSV playlist via File > Export Playlist, selecting:

- Text File (CSV delimited)
   - Included Fields: All Fields
   - Output Range: Selection

Zip the file and attach (or upload somewhere, providing a link) and someone will take a look.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

vjbelle

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013, 03:27:02 pm »

Select all the tracks in the affected album.  Export it as a CSV playlist via File > Export Playlist, selecting:

Zip the file and attach (or upload somewhere, providing a link) and someone will take a look.

Dead Right...... this will show that there is a/multiple field/s difference/s that will account for your issue.  This just happens to be how this data base, and many others, work.  iTunes will do the same thing. 

Victor

wawaron

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 11:15:59 am »

Can't something be done to solve the issue? As the CD is being ripped we can't see how it will display or how MC is creating multiple CDs from 1 CD. Can't a check box be programmed so the default setting be set as 1 CD even a compilation CD be ripped as 1 CD. Or if I wanted multiple CD from 1 CD I would choose that option? It makes multiple tracks with non compilation CDs also ex. Stabat Mater and a few others. Would be nice not to have to correct problem after the fact.

MrC

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2013, 12:12:39 pm »

Can't something be done to solve the issue? As the CD is being ripped we can't see how it will display or how MC is creating multiple CDs from 1 CD. Can't a check box be programmed so the default setting be set as 1 CD even a compilation CD be ripped as 1 CD. Or if I wanted multiple CD from 1 CD I would choose that option? It makes multiple tracks with non compilation CDs also ex. Stabat Mater and a few others. Would be nice not to have to correct problem after the fact.

Press the Edit Disc Information button before you rip.  If you enter the information there, I'm pretty sure you'll always get what you want.  I've never had an album split when adding information there (nor, for that matter, using the file list cells either).

wawaron

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2013, 02:08:17 pm »

Thanks for response but how is a first time user suppose to know that? Does that me I should click on Disc Edit every time I rip a CD? Is the a user manual or how to for MC. The forums are all nice and good but they are after the fact solutions. A user manual or guide would be helpful.
So now should I delete all the CDs that have been ripped into many files or what?

MrC

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2013, 02:39:48 pm »

I think your case is the minority.

I believe it used to be the case that the first time you inserted a new CD, the dialog would appear.  I'm not sure if this has changed, or there are factors I'm unaware of.

Generally the album metadata pulled from JRiver's servers is very accurate, and you wouldn't see this.  If the disc is not yet entered into JRiver's servers, then FreeDB is used, and the data there is sloppy.  So this could cause what you are seeing.

I'm wondering if it might be a good idea for the dialog to be shown whenever the track data would present this situation (you can't create this situation if the data is entered via the dialog since you only get one value for the relevant fields).  The question in this case would be, what values to use when they vary across tracks, and should the dialog values override existing values).

Ultimately, its a garbage in/garbage out situation.  MC groups according to the metadata, so it needs to be consistent.

By no means do you need to delete the track (but it might be instructive to see how things work).   Correct and make consistent Album, Album Artist (either blank it out, or set one value).  If your tracks are in different folders, move each track into a single folder per album.  You can use Explorer or MC's Rename tool.  It is really easy when you know how it works.  But is confusing for some new folks, as there are several pieces to figure out.

wawaron

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2013, 03:01:47 pm »

Hi, I deleted 1  CD that had been ripped over many tracks in order to try your solution. Right now MC seems to freeze as its ripping a CD. Also what info should I enter when in the Edit Disc info? I use this when there is info missing which is more often than I ever thought would happen. Doesn't MC look for missing metadata on line?

MrC

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2013, 03:10:51 pm »

You'll want to enter at least:

Album
   Artist (or use the checkbox at the bottom for multiple artists, and enter each artists for each track in the track list)
   Track #
   (Track) Name (and track artist if the multi-artist CD checkbox is selected)

Enter Genre and Date (year is sufficient) for best results in MC.

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 12:50:53 pm »

I have attached one that causes problems. You will see that the issue arises because the iso states the artist as "Various" which MC thinks is a single artist and hence classes the iso as "Single artist (complete)".

MrC

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2013, 02:13:40 pm »

I don't know how SACD ISOs tracks are handed by the album analyzer.  Someone at JRiver might be able to comment.

Henglander

• Recent member
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2013, 11:29:41 am »

ehmm...
Pages: [1]   Go Up