INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Re-Tune" --> Rescan --> MC18 Scan Fail [Solved]  (Read 6021 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
"Re-Tune" --> Rescan --> MC18 Scan Fail [Solved]
« on: June 29, 2013, 07:29:37 am »

For info, problem details below. See my signature for the PC hardware setup.

My home town in Australia has had "Re-Tune" go down this week:
http://retune.digitalready.gov.au/

See below for details on the problem I'm having between MC18 and HDHomeRun http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/dvbt/

Sequence of Events
01. Two of my local FTA TV station frequencies changed requiring a rescan
02. Error message "scanning failed" failed to build digital preview graph via HDHomeRun
03. Uninstall HD HomeRun
04. Uninstall MC18
05. Reboot PC
06. Install HD HomeRun v20130328 (latest firmware/driver)
07. Install Avermedia A-825 driver http://www.avermedia.com/Product/ProductDetail.aspx?Id=491
08. Run HD HomeRun configuration at final channel scan step message shows, "Error fetching names"
09. HDHomeRun Config (GUI) application shows strong signal and runs via VLC without problem
10. Install MC18 and initiate MC Log function (log sent to Yaobing)
11. Configure MC18 for Australia and DVB-T
12. Run MC channel scan via HDHomeRun Tuner 1
13. Error message "Scanning failed. Details: failed to build digital preview graph" via HDHomeRun Tuner 1
14. Run MC channel scan via HDHomeRun Tuner 2
15. Error message "Scanning failed. Details: A valid digital TV device is not selected." via HDHomeRun Tuner 2
16. Run MC channel scan via Avermedia A-825 - successful.
17. TV functional via Avermedia A-825 only.

I'm able to view TV over the network to my Toshiba Satellite Pro L750 laptop (relevant Log sent to Yaobing). Both the HTPC and the laptop use Bit Defender and the firewall on both is set to clear MC and HDHomeRun.

Anyone else having similar channel scanning hassles?
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: "Re-Tune" --> Rescan --> MC18 Scan Fail
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 09:32:41 am »

Your logs show that you were trying to scan for ATSC channels.  Did you make sure you select "DVB-T" on scan channel wizard (in the first step you select "Digital", in the second step you need to select "DVB-T")?
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 08:48:23 pm »

My curse on the default setting!

Yes, I picked up on that problem and your comment would explain:
15. Error message "Scanning failed. Details: A valid digital TV device is not selected." via HDHomeRun Tuner 2

However:
13. Error message "Scanning failed. Details: failed to build digital preview graph" via HDHomeRun Tuner 1
indicates that the correct setup had been applied in that case.

I uninstalled & reinstalled the Avermedia A-825 tuner and have been able to get that unit working. I still had a problem with some of the TV channels that were not being picked up. I was getting "No Signal" when they were selected for vieiwing. For some reason the frequency specs were not correctly being transcoded into the Channel list (probably thanks to "Re-Tune"). So, I had to go into the Channel list and manually edit the frequencies that had changed because they were still using old values. After that, the system has worked fine with the USB tuner.

HDHomeRun DVB-T still would not work for me though. As a cross check, I loaded up Windows MCE, reconfigured HDHomeRun DVB-T and attempted a channel scan. MCE didn't recognise HDHomeRun DVB-T on my system (I wish I could pin point what has changed because that's sure to be at the root of the problem).

As a result, I'll see what SiliconDust can do for me because the issue appears to be hardware based originating from the tuner.

Yaobing, I'll send you the additional logs when I get the chance later on today on the off chance that you pick up something crucial. Thanks for the quick feedback. The effort is appreciated.  ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2013, 02:04:12 pm »

The new log shows that we try to load the HDHomeRun device but could not build a DirectShow graph with it.  The error is 0x80040154 (class not registered), indicating there is some problem with the device installation.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

astromo

• MC Beta Team
Re: "Re-Tune" --> Rescan --> MC18 Scan Fail [Solved]
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2013, 03:32:27 pm »

Yaobing, thanks for the confirmation of what I'd worked out by other means.

To the rest of you, you can rest easy.

Here's the feedback from SiliconDust Support:
Please go into the Advanced tab in HDHomeRun Setup, click the Repair button, click OK, then try setting up MC again. If it works, great. If not, try setting up WMC again.

Have just finished an MC18 TV channel scan via the HDHR DVB-T and tested it out by viewing a bit of Hong Kong News. Didn't understand a word but the good thing is that I'm back up and running.

And the moral of the story?

Well, I may be proven wrong but I don't think there's obvious troubleshooting info in the HDHR documentation / SiliconDust forum to use the Repair process within HDHR. Obviously, uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't fix whatever Repair does. Oh well, it's recorded here for future reference and now I've got myself another USB DVB-T tuner so I can get 8 TV feeds coming into MC18. Haven't loaded them all up with simultaneous recordings but, anyway, how cool is that?   ;D

I may run a test and report back just for a giraffe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up