INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How well does JRemote work with Mac version of JRiver ?  (Read 5775 times)

theophan

• Recent member
How well does JRemote work with Mac version of JRiver ?
« on: June 30, 2013, 11:35:14 am »

I was surprised to discover you can't rip CDs with the Mac version of JRiver so now I'm wondering how well JRemote works with the Mac version of JRiver if that differs significantly from the Windows version.  Someone reports in another thread they can't even connect to a Mac with JRemote.    ?? !!

This is a potential deal breaker for me.  I won't bother buying the Mac Mini if I'm not fairly certain JRiver will deliver sound quality from a Mac comparable to what the Windows JRiver can AND the Mac JRiver can be controlled from JRemote as well as the Windows JRiver can.

Does anyone know ??

robiediekatze

• Recent member
Re: How well does JRemote work with Mac version of JRiver ?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 11:46:09 am »

i use jriver for mac for nearly 2 months now.
i have no problems with jremote.
sound is ok now after the clicks/stuttering problem is solved.
i dont use jr for managing the music library.
i just use it for playing music with jremote and that is working well.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »

JRemote works great with JRiver on the Mac. I have been using the combination for quite some time now. I run JRemote off my iPad to my headless Mac Mini.

All my custom views, et al carry over as well.

The JRiver team has indicated that enablement of the ripping functionality is on their list.

Lastly - JRiver for Mac is bit perfect, same as it's Windows counterpart.

Barr

p.s. and I do use JRiver to manage my music library, for which it is definitely fit for purpose.
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

theophan

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 03:47:38 pm »

thanks to both for answering ... I'm pretty well sold on it now.  ;)

Foxman50

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 12:59:27 pm »

JRemote works great with JRiver on the Mac. I have been using the combination for quite some time now. I run JRemote off my iPad to my headless Mac Mini.

All my custom views, et al carry over as well.

The JRiver team has indicated that enablement of the ripping functionality is on their list.

Lastly - JRiver for Mac is bit perfect, same as it's Windows counterpart.

Barr

p.s. and I do use JRiver to manage my music library, for which it is definitely fit for purpose.

Hi barr

have you had any issues running your mac mini in headless configuration. This is exactly how i want to set mine up when i get it. And just like theophan its great to hear jremote works well.

edtyre

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 01:24:26 pm »

Been using both MC for Mac and JRemote for a month now. I have nothing but good things to say.
Not only does it control both my server setups flawlessly, when i am away from my listening room but still
on my wifi network, it will stream lossless right to my iPhone when i'm doing chores around the house or
relaxing outside with the headphones. When i'm in my car, i can change the settings to transcode to mp3
and JRemote allows me to see my server from anywhere on the internet and stream songs back to the iPhone,
and thru bluetooth wirelessly to my car stereo. I'm on a 3G network, so this works as good as the signal allows.

I am really impressed with J River Media for Mac so far, and JRemote has been a wonderful surprise.

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2013, 01:58:27 pm »

Hi barr

have you had any issues running your mac mini in headless configuration. This is exactly how i want to set mine up when i get it. And just like theophan its great to hear jremote works well.

No issues at all. Initial setup of the Mac Mini needs to be done with a Monitor and keyboard/mouse attached, but after that no need for them. I have Splashtop Streamer installed on the Mac Mini and on my iPad. To boot the Mac Mini I just hit the power button on the back of the Mini, after it boots I can use Splashtop on my iPad to control any functions on the Mini. I have also configured my Mac Mini to automatically startup MC upon boot time and mount my NAS drive with my music (if you have a local HD either in the Mini or attached to it you need not perform the second step).

So once the Mini boots I can use JREMOTE on my iPAD to control JRiver and spin my tunes.

To shutdown the Mini I use Splashtop as well. Note there are other Remote Desktop application other than Splashtop, it just happens to be the one I am using, I have not done an extensive comparison.

And of course you can use it to download and install new versions of JRiver.

Now, that all being said, when intially configuring JRiver and the music library, if there is alot of tagging, editing of cover art, etc that you want to do, I would not do it via my iPad. However for core functions of using the Mac Mini with JRiver and JRemote on a day to day basis (Play songs, shutdown Mac Mini) it works great.

Alternatively if you have a second Mac you can always use screen sharing to login to the Mac Mini.

Some folks have reported a slight performance degradation with headless Mac Minis, I have seen such postings on the Pure Music forum as well as associated workarounds. I decided to use a low cost solution "just in case" I cannot state whether it has made a difference or not (too lazy to test it), and I have not experienced any performance slow down.

Here is the link to the low cost solution if required. It requires a trip to Radio Shack for a resistor, and enables you to make a "dummy dongle".

http://blog.macminicolo.net/post/33839671756/build-a-dummy-dongle-for-a-headless-mac-mini

Happy to answer any other questions you might have.

Barr
Mac Mini (16Gb memory, 2.3GHz i7, SSD), Synology NAS, MSB Analog DAC, Tubes, Cables, DeVore O/96s

Foxman50

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2013, 02:08:21 pm »

Barr your a star, you've answered half a dozen other questions i had. In fact your setup is exactly what im intending. Nas drive which has all my music on at present in flac format, get jriver on the mac mini to access this instead of coying it all to the mac. Was this hard to get right or was it easy enough. Ive no experience of mac but am ok on windows. Will  look up splashtop as well and thanks for the link.

Could i also ask how much ram you run in your mac mini

regards graeme

bplexico

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2013, 04:06:44 pm »

Graeme -

I have 16 gig of memory in my Mini. I ordered it in December at which time the price was $97 at OWC. I looked today at OWC and see that the price for 16 gig is now $179 (!). 16 gig is probably overkill and 8 gig should be more than enough, but at the time, it was worth the cost to go all in and max out the memory. I also installed a SSD drive in mine as well, to use as the boot drive and store the application files. If I had to do that again I might have considered using OWC to do the install, as it was rather tedious and delicate work...

I use a Synology NAS, which while wired directly to my Apple Extreme router is accessed wirelessly by my Mac Mini which is on a different floor. It was not possibly to easily get a direct ethernet connection to the Mac Mini which is why I went wireless. I was concerned about performance of accessing the NAS via wireless, but it has been rock solid for me, with only a slight pause on initial load of larger DSD files, but pretty much instantaneous on all other media. Certainly not noticeable, I only mention so you are aware ( I am using 802.11N).

Setup was very easy. Once music is on the NAS, you just configure the location in JRiver. And as I mentioned I auto-mount the NAS drive on boot time.

Things are a little different on the Mac than the Windows side of the house, but it shouldn't take you much time nor effort, I believe I had seen you over at the CA site as well. Folks are helpful both here and over there.

Do you already have a Mac Mini? Apple might be doing a refresh of the line shortly, according to Macrumors...

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/25/mac-mini-shipping-times-slip-to-5-7-days-on-apple-online-stores-possible-refresh-ahead/

Barr

Foxman50

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 01:39:59 am »

Thanks bar you have been a real help. Yes been asking questions over at CA, as you say both very helpful sites. What would we do without the net??

No not bought a mini yet, at the moment im deciding which dac to get, but ill have to go the mac route as windows takes to long to boot up. If you want to listen you want to listen not wait half an hour for windows to sort itself out.

Hopefully by the time ive decided on the dac maybe a newer mac mini will be out?

Again Barr really appreciate your help on this, you've really helped me out. Many thanks

Regards Graeme
Pages: [1]   Go Up