INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up server/network two pc's, but only one playing area  (Read 2100 times)

dharmashawn

• Recent member

Moving these from the Media Network forum.

Hello all. I have a spare pc and was thinking about moving a bunch of HD's (some with data some without) into another room to act as a "server" to my main pc in the living room. From what I have gathered server software is less stress on machines, but things look real confusing. I do have the ability to run both pc's on Windows 7, however I am not sure what, if anything I will gain from this configuration. Any thoughts on this?? I thought it was an easier task to connecting these two.

Thanks Much and
Be Well
Shawn

dharmashawn

• Recent member
Re: Setting up server/network two pc's, but only one playing area
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 11:17:24 am »

From a similar post: "You can either use the NAS as a file server in which case MC will access the files via a network share, or turn on the DLNA server on the NAS and you can get MC to connect to a remote DLNA server. The difference is that with the former you are using MC's powerful cataloguing facilities and with the latter you are using the cataloguing facilities of the server on the NAS, which will undoubtedly be more limited. But in that case you will be able to serve media from the NAS to a DLNA device without needing the MC PC turned on."

This is absolutely what I want to do. if I set up my other pc with NAS4Free or FreeNAS I will be good to go, yes? Both pc's will be directly wired to the router. The pc I am adding will not be used for anything other than storage, hence my reluctance to just install Windows7 and another MC. Didn't plan on keeping a monitor in there after set-up.

Thanks Much

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 11:19:08 am »

Further reading is unencouraging  :'(

Right now I have several disks and no fail safe solution. I have never had any problems, but I am sure it would only take one. That said I would really just like access to a bunch of separate drives without buying a 4-bay enclosure with poor reviews and USB 2.0. It looks like my only option is the Windows route with MC on both. Research is showing no clear way of setting up a NAS system with separate drives; only turning them into a pool (where one fails and all is lost) THAT IS JUST SILLY!! Sure I am gambling anyway and can lose all my data on any given disk, but for now this is what I got anyway.

Bottom line I guess is expansion. I have 4 x 1TB drivers in a drawer and in my current pc there are 1 x 2TB and 3 x 1TB. Add to that a fully functioning computer in the closet and it makes sense to start using. The closet pc is no real slouch (AMD Phenom x4 9150e), I just upgraded to an i7 machine.
Rant over.

Thoughts? Concerns? Suggestions?

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 12:38:23 pm »

When scoping out the merits of an idea for a project like this, always start with Goals and Requirements.

What real-world problem are you trying to solve?

What are the Requirements of any solution?
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 01:42:21 pm »

When scoping out the merits of an idea for a project like this, always start with Goals and Requirements.

What real-world problem are you trying to solve?

What are the Requirements of any solution?

Running out of space on the main system and the hotswap kinda Sucks as I have imported files that now show up missing.  I have all the fixings to setup so I am not purchasing anything and seemed like a better idea to get the majority of the media files a tad more consolidated. My main goal was to have this second pc running more in the background with just the files on it. No real need for a monitor, mouse, etc.  So mostly space and having everything available.

Other option is buying a 4 bay external that doesn't suck and right next to me with more fans/noise.

MrC

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:01:53 pm »

Ok, so I understand you're looking for more storage space, more consolidation.

Of note, this isn't a goal: "My main goal was to have this second pc running more in the background."  It is a proposed solution, which can deflect from determining the real goals and requirements.

I mention this, because, the solution above drags in additional unforeseen work and issues to resolve, such as:

- the system will then need a backup solution
  - the system may use more power than other solutions
  - the system will require additional, ongoing OS maintenance work
  - the system may require additional infrastructure (network plumbing / gear, power gear, temporary monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc.)
  - etc...

I'm my opinion, unless you have a very large media collection, and several systems using the media, for most situations, a single system with enough storage is usually sufficient and more economical in terms of time and cost.

For adding disk storage, either a self-contained NAS or a disk array with large capacity, quiet, energy efficient drives is the way to go.  Replace inefficient, smaller capacity disks with models that are more appropriate to the requirements.

Donate (or sell) the old PC so that it will be used as a cheap PC.

My 2 cents, for what its worth.

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 02:58:24 pm »

Totally see yr point. Just trying to get more together and whatnot.  Any thoughts on a quality 4 bay external enclosure?  Over on the N-egg there seems to be slim pickings and too many negative reviews to make me warm and fuzzy about the purchase.

Frustrating having the disks to populate and running a tad unorganized with no clear idea.  I think there was a Lacie 4 banger but it was like $250+

MrC

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 04:21:12 pm »

I've always bought PC cases large enough to hold what I'll need.  An excellent quality case goes a long way towards extensibility, silence, and good cooling.  And a nice hot-swap HDD docking station suits for the quick disk changes and needs.

Perhaps glynor or someone will have some good recommendations on disk enclosures.

dharmashawn

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 06:10:07 pm »

I actually just picked up a Fractal R4. Also decided to gain another HD by losing the optical drive and grabbing an external one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up