INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: How to force computer to detect ASIO driver?  (Read 5537 times)

Lunatique

• World Citizen
How to force computer to detect ASIO driver?
« on: July 02, 2013, 01:13:40 pm »

I have a problem that's really annoying, and I can't seem to find a solution.

I have an Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1 that's been reliable and without problems over the years I've had it. A few years ago, I got a Creative Soundblaster because I wanted its headphone surround sound feature, and it turned out to be a flaky experience (the drivers for CreativeLab turned out to be notoriously unreliable). I uninstalled the Creative soundcard and when back to the Audiotrak Prodigy 7.1, but my computer no longer detects the ASIO driver for the Prodigy.

Inside of Media Center, if I choose the ASIO, it gives me "Playback Problem" error message. I can use Direct Sound, WASAPI, WASAPI-Event Style, Wave Out, Kernel Streaming, etc, but not ASIO.

When I use Xlutop Chainer, it also tells me it cannot find any ASIO drivers (which it requires to run), and the option to choose CreativeLab's ASIO driver is still visible, so it seems like somehow CreativeLab's drivers don't uninstall cleanly and it might be making the computer think its ASIO should be there when it is already uninstalled. I tried using recommended methods to remove all traces of the CreativeLab drivers, including an app specially written to clean out all traces of audio/video drivers that are known to be problematic after uninstall, but it didn't help.

This problem only came after I uninstalled the creative Soundblaster. Previously, there were no problems. Before when it's just the Prodigy, the ASIO driver from it worked just fine. I tried numerous times to uninstall/reinstall/update the Prodigy's drivers, but it's still the same.

So how can I force my computer to recognize Prodigy's ASIO driver again?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: How to force computer to detect ASIO driver?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 01:35:43 pm »

I don't know if it helps, but technically ASIO drivers register here on a 64-bit OS:
64-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\ASIO
32-bit: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASIO

JRiver loads the 32-bit ASIO driver.

So all your ASIO drivers should be listed under this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\ASIO
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 02:00:51 pm »

I got rid or the leftover entries from the registry, but it seems only the 64-bit driver is installed for the Prodigy, and I can't force Device Manager to install the 32 bit version--it just tells me the best version is already installed. How can I force it to use the 32 bit version so that MC will recognize it? (When I tried to point to the 32 bit driver's folder, Windows won't install it, saying it cannot find compatible driver, and would only recognize the 64 bit driver.)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 02:18:44 pm »

I'm not sure.

You could try regsvr32 on the 32-bit ASIO driver while running elevated.  It might work.

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 02:24:01 pm »

I'm not sure.

You could try regsvr32 on the 32-bit ASIO driver while running elevated.  It might work.

Sorry, that's above my limited tech level--can you elaborate on how to do that? Thanks.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 02:33:34 pm »

Run a command prompt as administrator.

Then type:
regsvr32 "C:\Prodigy\ASIODriver32.dll"

Replace "C:\Prodigy\ASIODriver32.dll" with the correct path to the 32-bit ASIO driver.

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 03:08:35 pm »

I got this error message when I tried it (attached image):

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 03:17:31 pm »

It looks like you're missing quotes.

However, I think you might want to contact Prodigy.  They are probably the best ones to help if their driver isn't installing / registering.

Lunatique

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 03:33:34 pm »

Ah, you're right. I added the quotes and it still gave me a different error message (attached image):

I did contact Audiotrak, but they are really bad with replying to support requests--that's why I'm trying here.
Pages: [1]   Go Up