INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: hd tracks resolution  (Read 1276 times)

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
hd tracks resolution
« on: July 04, 2013, 12:05:07 pm »

Does anyone know which files to download from "HD Tracks" to get the highest level of resolution and least amount of compression, including lossless compression, when played through Media Center.  I have a D/A converter that can go up to dsd levels so that is not a concern.

Thanks,

Bob

polemides

• Recent member
Re: hd tracks resolution
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2013, 11:36:58 am »

HD Tracks sells files in a number of different bit depths and sampling rates.  They range from 16-bit/44.1K (Red Book CD) to 24/192.  The higher, the better, obviously.  Though the quality of the original master definitely affects whether there is actually a noticeable difference in higher rates.

HD Tracks (the website, anyway) lists what rates you are about to download directly on the page...usually right above the playlist on the right hand side or above the description in the main window.

FLAC and ALAC are both losslessly compressed formats, so I'd stick to one of those for the best file tagging support (WAV doesn't support most tagging efforts...not sure about AIFF).

whataboutbob1

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2013, 07:22:47 pm »

Thank you!!!!!!! :)

shAf

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 12:08:13 pm »

HD Tracks sells files in a number of different bit depths and sampling rates.  ...  Though the quality of the original master definitely affects whether there is actually a noticeable difference in higher rates.

It's surprising how many original recordings are barely worth even 16/44 encoding.  HDtracks albums are not that expensive, but you'd still be advised to research recording quality before paying premium prices.  That said, I also find that most of the HD 24/192 offerings are worthy, as if they won't bother with 24/192 unless it is a worthy recording.
cheerios from the Avalon Peninsula, Newfoundland
Pages: [1]   Go Up