INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC often crashes when I power cycle my TV  (Read 1182 times)

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
MC often crashes when I power cycle my TV
« on: July 07, 2013, 07:56:44 am »

First off I think this is related to HDCP nonsense but I'm wondering if anyone has advice.

I don't always use my HTPC with the TV on. It is often easier to just use Gizmo to start some music. But then if I turn on the TV to do something else and turn it back off I might lose audio. Then if I turn the TV back on to troubleshoot I find that MC is not responding. I have to restart it. I am using Intel HD3000 output to a switch then to a Denon X4000 then to the Samsung TV (all HDMI). This behavior occurs with or without the switch and it happened with an older AVR too. I am pretty much only using MC on the HTPC so I haven't tried it with anything else. It can happen when I start playing music with the TV on and then turn it off and the audio drops out.

Like I said, I think this has more to do with hardware than MC but does anybody have an idea of how to circumvent this?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC often crashes when I power cycle my TV
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 10:43:23 am »

This is a tricky problem, and I think you're right that it's hardware and driver related.

You can tell MC to keep the display on while it plays audio in Options > Audio.  However, this probably doesn't help if you manually turn the power off.

Jim once had a crash like this where MC would crash if he turned off his receiver.  In that case, updating his video drivers (for the HDMI output) fixed the crash.  The crash was deep in the audio driver (which is loaded into our process during playback) and there was no way to catch or work around it :'(
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

fitbrit

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2013, 12:08:47 pm »

Yes this is a common problem for me. I was hoping there could be a fix. I usually use nvidia hdmi cards. I am considerign investing in some ~$100 Gefen HMDI Detective EDID devices, which can trick the system into thinking the AVR is on even when it's not.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2013, 01:22:10 pm »

I am using a Gefen device, solved all my problems, rock steady for almost 3 years now :-)

rec head

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2013, 03:29:57 pm »

Thanks for the help. I'm at least glad people knew what I was talking about. I don't think I'm going to be get too whacky playing with drivers any time soon. I'll look for updates but I don't want to break anything.

Like I said, HDMI/HDCP are crap.
Pages: [1]   Go Up