INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: IPad DLNA Moview viewer  (Read 2223 times)

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
IPad DLNA Moview viewer
« on: July 07, 2013, 05:52:21 pm »

I wanted to view movies from my MC library on the PC.  I tried JRemote but found it would only play MPEG2 videos.  I then tried WebGizmo but both Safari and Chrome (on IPad) would not play the movie.  They connected okay, and music played okay, but would not play movies.  So started looking for a DLNA solution on the IPad.  I tried many free programs and even purchased a couple .. but none worked.  They all connected okay but the biggest issue was lack of codec support.

I then found this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1422563

And down near the bottom found "nPlayer":

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/nplayer/id539397400?mt=8

Well, it turns out this works great, not perfect, but by far the best one.  It successfully found my MC DLNA server, found all my movies and played most of them.  Biggest problem I found was the program defaults to subtitles on which often includes a narrative of the movie.  But it was easy to turn off and there may be a configuration to change that.

Wanted to recommend this to others also wanting to view movies on their IPad devices as it seems there are a lot of programs out there to choose from but very few that actually work.

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: IPad DLNA Moview viewer
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2013, 06:48:29 pm »

Thanks for the recommendation.
I was hoping that JRemote would have supported MKV by now, or Media Center would have supported transcoding to MP4, but I'll give this a shot.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 01:54:33 am »

Hmm, no luck here. Isn't finding any DLNA servers I set up in Media Center.

CraigNZ

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:29:16 pm »

Subsequent testing last night shows that the program can play movies and video files okay but cannot play BDMV folder structures.  That is okay for now since in time I suspect he will provide it also.

Interesting that you cannot see the DLNA servers.  Since it is working on my system it means the software does work, but there is a difference in configuration.  I am using the Generic configuration, with the defaults.  When I select networks at the bottom of the screen (IPad nPlayer program) then it immediately displays the JRiver icon.  First time it did not do it but then I realized I had forgotten to run the JRiver program.  As soon as the MC started on the PC the IPad display updated and showed the MC icon.

Let me know if you still did not get it to work and I'll see if we can compare configurations to find the difference.

For watching DVD's (IFO file structure), videos and music it is great.  A few quirks, but looking at this change history it appears he is very actively involved in updating the software, would be great to see him team up with the JRiver guys to develop a IPad program with the same outstanding quality and function of MC.

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 01:37:32 am »

I have added a generic DLNA server, and it still won't find anything - even though my other DLNA devices see it just fine.
It must be because I am running iOS 7 on this device.
Pages: [1]   Go Up