INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MagicPlay - Promising new open source alternative to Sonos/AirPlay  (Read 22952 times)

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy

"MagicPlay" is a multiroom capable open source alternative to the proprietary Sonos and AirPlay techniques for synced audio.
If it should reach a certain degree of spread, it would be ideal for integration in MC...

Here's a little reading material:
http://www.magicplay.com/
http://www.theverge.com/2013/7/1/4482920/doubletwist-magicplay-service-open-source-airplay
http://nanocr.eu/2013/07/02/amplify-your-music-with-magicplay/

doulos

• World Citizen
Re: MagicPlay - Promising new open source alternative to Sonos/AirPlay
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 03:32:04 pm »

Huh? Reinventing the wheel yet another time? Theres DLNA, which has everything in the spec and is (at least partially) implemented on quite a number of devices. Theres OpenHome, which does the same as MP, and is also not implemented (except on Linn devices). Both of them are open. Who in the world needs MagicPlay??
MediaSteersman - Your Media at Your Fingertips

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2013, 06:33:01 pm »

DLNA isn't quite open.  It requires a membership in the organization to be recognized as being DLNA compliant.  UPnP is nearly the same, and it is open.  MC supports both.

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 12:35:52 am »

Huh? Reinventing the wheel yet another time? Theres DLNA, which has everything in the spec and is (at least partially) implemented on quite a number of devices. Theres OpenHome, which does the same as MP, and is also not implemented (except on Linn devices). Both of them are open. Who in the world needs MagicPlay??

Sorry, but you are missing the point here somehow. I did not mention DLNA/UPnP because synchronized playback is not in the DLNA/UPnP specs (well, somehow it is or will be some day, but you can almost be sure it will never be implemented in that way in any device... Here is another thread http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=75470.msg511802#msg511802).

"MagicPlay" does simultaneously synchronized playback in multiple zones ("one song in different rooms"). If you want to do that "networked", there's only Sonos and AirPlay until now. If it would be possible to do that with MC by expanding it with an "easy to integrate open source MagicPlay component" (that is what they promise...), it should be worth a look, or not?

doulos

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 04:16:45 am »

Sorry, but you are missing the point here somehow. I did not mention DLNA/UPnP because synchronized playback is not in the DLNA/UPnP specs (well, somehow it is or will be some day, but you can almost be sure it will never be implemented in that way in any device...

how am I missing something? As you admit DLNA is addressing synchronized playback in the specs, however nobody implements it yet. It is solely your interpretation that nobody will do so even in the future. In the mean time, DLNA and MagicPlay are on par with respect to synched play, but DLNA has the advantage that its scope is far broader (also video), and the other parts of the spec are implemented on many devices.

"MagicPlay" does simultaneously synchronized playback in multiple zones ("one song in different rooms").

It does so just as much as DLNA does today. And there is OpenHome, which already implements it on Linn devices

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 07:54:53 am »

DLNA/UPnP development started in late nineties. For years not much happened.
While small companies and single developers did a great job on the server and controller side, the render devices are still underdeveloped.
I would say that only a very few do not suffer from various bugs and sloppy implementations.
Most customers struggle with these weak devices and are not really satisfied.
If you buy something with DLNA sticker on the box, you'll never know what you will get exactly.

I'm using DLNA a lot to get movies from MC to my Panasonic TV and select them with the TV remote control (I don't need a "Theater View" to select a movie).
There are some hiccups, but in general it works the way I like it (thanks to MC's sorting skills).

For music it's different. I want to use MC and a tablet to select tracks and playlists.
I tested all available DLNA controllers (iOS and Android) and a lot of render devices and amps with build in DLNA.
There was no combination that came up to scratch. And that was even without thinking about synced multi room audio...
I did not test Linn devices, but I doubt they work in a much more seamless way than other DLNA devices do.
They may sound a little better but are way too expensive for what they offer (my solely opinion).

Some years ago, Sonos and Apple "reinvented the wheel" and admittedly did a great job.
Though proprietary, these systems are easy to setup and just work, particularly with synced multi room audio.
But I do not use Sonos because I would miss MC's library power.
And I do not want to use iTunes to handle my tracks "just" to get synced multi room audio.

Right now, I'm using MC and JRemote to play audio on my iPad and send it via AirPlay to my Marantz receiver with build in AirPlay.
Works great and seamless, but I'm still missing synced multi room audio.
I guess Apple will never bring that function to iOS to protect iTunes.
I also tried AirFoil and similar techniques to get the audio straight from MC to the amp via AirPlay (without going through the iPad),
but the missing MC integration makes these (closed source) solutions unusable for me. They are not stable enough.

As "MagicPlay" is open source, there might be a chance for MC integration.
So it would be possible to use DLNA for Video, DLNA for Audio and MagicPlay for synced multi room audio.
Would that hurt anybody?

Apart from that:
I would be more than happy if there was a DLNA/UPnP/OpenHome controller/renderer combination that would offer flawless handling and synced multi room audio.
If there is one, please let me know.
If MC would integrate "OpenHome" and it would then offer networked synced multi room audio with various devices... OK.
If I do not have to wait for ten years, so much the better...

<°)))))><

• Junior Woodchuck
  • looking fishy
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2013, 09:27:58 am »

I just called an acquaintance of mine who owned two older Linn DS devices.
He told me that they were able to sync when tracks were selected from the device (not with remote software).
He told me also that he sold the devices some time ago and is now using a sonos system... Mmh.

The Linn website says that they also support AirPlay now for synced audio. Mmh.
I can not find any information if synced audio via UPnP is possible without using their dedicated software suite (Kinsky/Songcast/Songbox).

Is it possible with the "Catwalk DS integration for JRiver Media Center"?
I know it should support gapless playback, but does it also support synced multi room audio?
Not that I'm planning to spend thousands of bucks for such a system... just curious.

bob

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 11:50:34 am »

doulos, I'm playing with Media Steersman to push 3 tracks gaplessly to an instance of MC. It works fine on the first two tracks but then stops. I'm thinking I might be missing sending an event when the track playing changes. Is that what you are looking for when you decide when to send the next track? Thanks..

doulos

• World Citizen
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2013, 02:17:31 pm »

I'm thinking I might be missing sending an event when the track playing changes. Is that what you are looking for when you decide when to send the next track? Thanks..

Yeah, I am waiting for a state change with "playing", and the last scheduled uri. If you describe the scenario with a few more details, I can try to debug it myself. Better PM though..
Pages: [1]   Go Up