INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Two instances of Theatre View running at the same time? Hi WAF?  (Read 1537 times)

cgroth

• World Citizen

Hi, I wonder, is it possible to have two instances  of Theatre View running at the same time, on different monitors? I would like to have my Videos screen on the Primary Home Theatre screen (a large LCD on the wall) and my Audio files on a smaller touch screen by the Stereo. I believe this would be the most inutitive way for my wife to control the HTPC media center (see more here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81848.0)

With such a set up she wouldn't even need to use a keyboard or a universal remote to play music, just touch the screen to play, which must be intuitive even to her.....  ?  And the regular amp remote to control volume, just like in the olden days.

Then, for Movie selection, which more naturally is related to what can be seen on the TV, a single universal remote will handle all tasks (TV and amp input switching, volume and HTPC control)?

If this cannot be done, can two instances of MC18 be run on the same PC at one time?

Chris

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
Re: Two instances of Theatre View running at the same time? Hi WAF?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 09:33:41 am »

Hi, I wonder, is it possible to have two instances  of Theatre View running at the same time, on different monitors? I would like to have my Videos screen on the Primary Home Theatre screen (a large LCD on the wall) and my Audio files on a smaller touch screen by the Stereo. I believe this would be the most inutitive way for my wife to control the HTPC media center (see more here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81848.0)

With such a set up she wouldn't even need to use a keyboard or a universal remote to play music, just touch the screen to play, which must be intuitive even to her.....  ?  And the regular amp remote to control volume, just like in the olden days.

Then, for Movie selection, which more naturally is related to what can be seen on the TV, a single universal remote will handle all tasks (TV and amp input switching, volume and HTPC control)?

If this cannot be done, can two instances of MC18 be run on the same PC at one time?

Chris

Two instances of MC can definitely be run, although you have to tick a box in options to enable it.  I'm not sure if both can be in theater view at once though, and I could never find a way to get the PC to load two copies of JRiver at start up, even using MC's enhanced command line functionality.  I'll be interested to hear how this goes for you; I'd expect it could potentially work provided that both copies weren't trying to play to the same output device at the same time.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 10:38:19 am »

Hmm,

I am interested in trying, but since I'm am running Vista (which I hate) on the PC in question, I guess there's a 50 % chance the whole PC will die when it tries to download the necessary driver for the extra hardware....

If I succeed I will let you know. Two problems at this time though:

1. I don't know what enhanced command line functionality is, but from the name it sounds like something I will never try to mess around with or understand (like the Theory of relativity...)
2. Both Video and Audio would be played through the same sound card on the PC. So I guess I'd either get both sounds, the thing would crash or I'd have to stop one before starting the other?

Chris

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 10:42:04 am »

You don't mention whether you already own the touchscreen monitor or not.
If you own an iOS device (iPhone, iPad etc.) you could try using JRemote to control audio rather than a second display running theater view.

cgroth

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 11:27:37 am »

You don't mention whether you already own the touchscreen monitor or not.
If you own an iOS device (iPhone, iPad etc.) you could try using JRemote to control audio rather than a second display running theater view.

I guess I have a luxury problem, I already have 3 touch screens not in use, I have 1 iPAD and 1 mini iPAD and my wife and both children have iPhones. The kids will probably be very eager to use their iPhones, but my wife would probably like something more substantial?  Both my iPADs I presently use for my HTPC, and if I get her used to stealing them to use for her HTPC I am afraid I'll never see them again.... And since the Touch Screens are in the cellar doing nothing I thought I'd use those. But I see your point. I'll give it a try one of these days if it starts raining and I have nothing better to do :-)

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 01:10:59 pm »

2. Both Video and Audio would be played through the same sound card on the PC. So I guess I'd either get both sounds, the thing would crash or I'd have to stop one before starting the other?

If you use WASAPI exclusive mode or ASIO (or any other exclusive output mode), you would get an error if you tried to play on both at once (or at least I did when I tried).  If you use a non-exclusive output, you might get both at once, but the safest bet is to stop one before playing another. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up