INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: The MJ Love/Hate relationship  (Read 1714 times)

Night-0wl

The MJ Love/Hate relationship
« on: March 21, 2002, 11:38:51 am »

It amazes me how a program I enjoy so much can cause so much frustration.
I can listen to MP3's on MJ7.2 with no problems and no gaps -- I just can't burn them
I keep getting an incompatibility message which I never got with MJ6 when burning the same MP3's
MJ7 rips CD's seamlessly BUT using it to listen to CD's is annoying to say the least.
I get nothing but gaps between songs no matter what setting I have it on
And listening to Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon" or "Wish You Were Here" on MJ7
(both of which have seamless tracks) is downright aggrivating.
Triumvirat's "Illusions on a Double Dimple" is even worse because there are no gaps between songs
UNLESS I am listening to the CD on MJ7 -- then there is a gap between every song.

No offense, but I thought programs were supposed to get better over time.
The Mega Me Skins are gone, I can't burn, and now I have gaps on CD's that don't have gaps.
If you ask me, the programmers need to get back to basics
They seem to be creating more problems than they are solving
I don't know if I can stand anymore aggrivation with a program I learned to love in version 6.
What's worse, is I can't return to version 6 without stripping down the hard drive
I have yet to find a way to totally remove 7 without rebuilding the computer
Really makes me want to download version 8.....NOT!

JimH

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Miller drives a tall-masted tractor on the ocean
RE:The MJ Love/Hate relationship
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 11:57:19 am »

Did you try unchecking "digital playback" in CD settings?

Remember that not all problems are MJ's.  For things to work well, the OS has to do it's job.  So do all the drivers involved.  Then there is hardware.

Are you so expert in this that you can say without hesitation that it is the fault of MJ?
Jim Hillegass
JRiver Media Center / Media Jukebox

Michael Horton

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2002, 12:06:13 pm »

re Love/hate relationships

At the risk of being told, "MJ--Love It Or Leave It," and being shown the door, I'm going to say that I share your frustration. With MJ 7.2 I could burn music CDs just fine, and digital playback on CDs was flawless. In 8.0.xx I've yet to successfully burn a CD, digital playback won't work (many, many pops and crackles), and every time I rip a CD, and click "OK" on the notification box that the CD has been ripped, I lose all the little icons on the left hand side of the screen except the CD-R drive icon. I have to re-start the program to get them back. I've uninstalled/reinstalled, tried different configurations with the IDE/Atapi settings, uninstalled/reinstalled ASPI layers--come on, I've been here since 6.0 also, and have read a couple of posts here on Interact before. But when I post the bug reports for new versions, I keep getting the "try reinstalling" type responses. When I post the bugs, I'm really not expecting ANY personal response at all. But for some reason, the generic responses just annoy the hell out of me. I hate that.

On the other hand, I don't have any concerns over the gappy/gapless issues. Or normalization. Or skins. Or Viz. Or . . . . well you name it, because I don't use any of it. And, I haven't experienced your problem with going back to 7.2. I can uninstall 8.0.xx, use Norton WinDoctor to remove left-over registry instances of v8.0, and reinstall 7.2 easily enough. When I do, the above problems vanish. Reinstall any version of 8.0 up to the present, and they're back. So, I don't believe its some other problem (update drivers--come on--good advice for unfamiliar names who may not know). But I'm using the beta version because I love MJ and want to help, so any irritation I'm having is my own fault. I wasn't forced to jump in to beta testing. Plus, it's not like I was talked in to trying some buggy beta version of a pacemaker or something. If I can't burn with MJ right now, the Win XP burner works pretty well. And analog will surfice until the issue is taken care of. I think that they are aware that there are still problems and are giving it their all . . .

Night-Owl

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2002, 12:08:42 pm »

I build computers and networks for a living
I have not changed operating systems since MJ 6
I'm still using Windows 2000 Pro
I have not changed hardware except going to a faster CPU and larger hard drives
I did not have problems until I upgraded MJ6 to MJ7
By JRiver own admission they eliminated the Mega skins
MP3's I can burn to CD audios on MJ6 will not work burning with MJ7 on identical computers
CD's I can play seamlessly on MJ6 has gaps on MJ7 on identical computers
I think that qualifies what I said quite well, don't you?

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2002, 12:19:20 pm »

It is possible that different versions of a program may interact with the same OS/drivers/hardware in a different fashion. I don't know the ins and outs of MJ's inner workings, but I expect there have been some changes with the way each version has handled ripping/playback/burning.

I was having a hell of a time getting MJ8 to just play a CD, forget gapless or anything like that, it just wouldn't play at all. I kept reporting it as a bug from one build to the next. Come to find out, I had configured MJ incorrectly (I told it use ASPI for my CD-ROM when it should have been using IDE). Once I changed one little setting, everything (in that area) worked great.

Sometimes it's a bug. And sometimes it really is just the PC.

But let's say it is a bug in MJ 7.2 It's kind of late in the game to try and get it fixed. JRiver has already stated that there will be no more bugfixes for 7.2 as all energies are now focused on 8 (correct me if I'm mistaken, Jim). So would you maybe be better off to download 8, knowing it's buggy, but at least have some input into what to fix?

Michael Horton

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2002, 12:20:29 pm »

Night-0wl

>>I think that qualifies what I said quite well, don't you?

Yes, it does. And I didn't mean to imply that your problems result from your having jumped in to beta testing. I meant to say that my own frustration comes from beta testing. I meant to second your opinion that it is possible to have a love/hate relationship with this program. After re-reading your post and my post, I see that it doesn't read that way. I also failed to notice that you want to go back to v6, not 7.2. Thank's for taking the time to clarify your position, rather than simply pointing out that I'm a bonehead for not having thoroughly read your post.

JimH

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2002, 12:31:36 pm »

MHorton,
You are not a bonehead for not having thoroughly read the post.

Night-Owl,
Love/hate is not an abnormal state.

Not all problems are ours.
Jim Hillegass

zevele1

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2002, 12:48:02 pm »

not all problems are ours
I am sure of it.I mean really sure
It is more the fact that only MediaJukebox reacts to some  problems from the OS or others softwares.In this case easy to think it is your fault.For many people not so great at computer-i am one of these -"it can be only a MJ problem"
I feel that 8 will be a monster,a total killer.It is even hard to realise all the fonctions you are putting in it.

Mhorton
Terry Lee Hale.Have a try.It is with Passion Fodder,in the same folder

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2002, 01:44:12 pm »

Fixing bugs is tricky, you cannot just say "if the programmers learn the basics, the bugs will be gone." This is not the case. How can someone fix a bug that cannot be reproduced? There are too many variables involved: drivers, hardware, whether or not the person is overclocked, Windows itself...

If you ask me, I think JRiver has done a fine job at fixing bugs.
Mike

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2002, 01:50:25 pm »

I think they have been working on bugs in windows for 15|PLS| years or so

I think they said windows 2k had 64,000 bugs when it came out

>>If you ask me, I think JRiver has done a fine job at fixing bugs.
10-4
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Michael Horton

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2002, 01:51:25 pm »

Mike--you're right JRiver is doing a fine job. But, re "if the programmers learn the basics, the bugs will be gone." Did someone say that, or did I fail to thoroughly read posts again? Night-Owl did suggest that the programmers "get back to Basics" which indicates not that the programmers need to learn the basics, but that the programmers have gotten away from them. You're absolutely right--you can't fix what you can't reproduce. We're all trying to pitch in.

Michael

Trelane

• World Citizen
  • Destroy him, my robots.
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2002, 02:14:01 pm »

KingSparta:
I've heard that number, too. That's a lot of friggin' bugs! Next Page

MHorton:
I thought he was implying that getting back to the basics will help clear up bugs. If they went back to the basics, MJ would display a nice "Hello, World!" message when loaded Next Page I probably took it out of context. Being a programmer myself, I can tell you that lines like that sting... especially when you've tried very hard to reproduce and fix the bug.

Mike

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2002, 02:24:55 pm »

>>> MJ would display a nice "Hello, World!" message when loaded
hehe funny
Fayetteville, NC, USA

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2002, 02:45:01 pm »

Let's be fair to Microsoft, though. When you consider the millions and millions of lines of code in Windows, 64,000 isn't all that much really. Plus, a lot of the so-called bugs were simple things like spelling mistakes or something equally as benign.

For curiosity's sake... how many lines of code does MJ have?

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2002, 06:18:46 am »

At a rough guess either too many or not enough...
Namaste,
John

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2002, 09:08:35 am »

>> Let's be fair to Microsoft, though
i know, just making a point that MJ is not the only one who has bugs.

Even if you have billions of cash on hand

Bonus check has been cashed and I Just sunk another $500 in a 160Gig firewire drive (with pci controler card)

http://www.maxtordirect.com/product.asp?sku=1864639

i figure i will use this for transfering MP3's to my new computer when i buy it (waiting for new EIDE 133 onboard controlers)

this also should allow me to reach the 128,000|PLS| mp3 limit to see if Media Jukebox Will brake down and cry. so far it works like a champ with many mp3 files something you can say for Real CrapBox And MusicMash. a new cpu would be nice to deal with the large data base.
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2002, 09:19:55 am »

JimH

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2002, 09:25:45 am »

Doof,
MJ has about 350,000 lines of code, and they have all been written at least twice. Next Page

Jim
Jim Hillegass

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2002, 09:44:15 am »

MachineHead

Now viewing UDMA-133, Dual motherboards

Change your search  

I'm sorry, but there are no motherboards that match your search.

sure, but i still want the newer EIDE None found
Fayetteville, NC, USA

sekim

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2002, 09:56:21 am »

I don't know if this one is dual cpu but it supports umda-133.

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1416/
Pages: [1]   Go Up