INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New version (MC19) what can we expect?  (Read 16042 times)

AoXoMoXoA

• Citizen of the Universe
  • I am a kangaroo . . . . no, really!
New version (MC19) what can we expect?
« on: July 12, 2013, 02:31:53 pm »

After updating faithfully every version since MC9, I am interested to know what we can expect as new features in MC19.

Unfortunately as much as I like MC and it's developers I can no longer afford to support development continuously, updating each and every version.

In light of this I'd like to see the benefits & features I can expect so that I can evaluate whether it is worth upgrading at this time, otherwise perhaps I'd be better off waiting several versions until I see new features I might actually use.

Is there a list of what will be done in MC19?
. . . the game is rigged

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: New version (MC19) what can we expect?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 02:46:59 pm »

Sorry, there's not a list.

If you're not sure, wait until you see (or don't see) something you like.

Thanks for your past support.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

p7389

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2013, 03:00:21 pm »

I just upgraded from 17, and just installed 18 with the 10 license. I decided not to buy 18 because it really doesn't add features that I needed all that much. But it's time to upgrade I felt. Was getting antsy!

My one hope is that you make the program look more Windows native! One thing that has always annoyed me with MC, for instance, is that it won't do the standard Win animations for minimize and maximize... And personally I would really like it to have a more unified look with the top bar, transparencies, minimize, maximize, and close button etc.

Other than that I really find that MC does everything I need and want. But I'm ready to be surprised!
[img width= height= alt=My Top Albums]http://lastfm.obsessive-media.de/3month/7x1/p7389.jpeg[/img]

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2013, 03:14:28 pm »

Hey Nineteen !
Way back when, in sixty-seven I was the dandy of gamma chi Sweet things from Boston So young and willing Moved down to Scarsdale Where the hell am I
Hey nineteen No we can’t dance together We can’t dance together No we can’t talk at all Please take me along When you slide on down
Hey nineteen That’s ’Retha Franklin She don’t remember the Queen of Soul It’s hard times befallen the sole survivors She thinks I’m crazy But I’m just growin' old
Hey nineteen No we got nothin' in common We can’t dance together No we can’t talk at all Please take me along When you slide on down
Sure looks good Skate a little, flow a little
The cuervo gold The fine Columbian Make tonight a wonderful thing Say it again The cuervo gold The fine Columbian Make tonight a wonderful thing The cuervo gold The fine Columbian Make tonight a wonderful thing
No we can’t dance together No we can’t talk at all

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2013, 04:00:34 pm »

Hey Nineteen !

Nice.

Quote from: Matt
Before MC19 finishes, it will be faster, easier to use, more powerful, and better looking than MC18.

Exactly how much better looking are we talking about here?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2013, 04:53:05 pm »

Some perspective, I think....

- MC early discounted upgrades are about the cost of one person going out to a movie
   - Since purchase, MC Windows has cost me about 5.3 cents / day
   - Where else such a low price can you get support, almost 24x7, 365 days a year?
   - Who else implements features so readily and so quickly?
   - Quicken costs me about 5x that amount each year, and Intuit sucks eggs
   - Every once in a while Matt & JimH stroke my ego, so an MC upgrade is cheaper than a shrink.

So I think of this as a whole package deal, and as one of the great bargains.  That they live in Minnesota doesn't diminish that (much).
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Castius

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2013, 08:27:49 pm »

I love they way you guys manage pricing, updates, and features.

Thank you

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2013, 08:34:01 pm »

Nice.

Exactly how much better looking are we talking about here?
MrC, who is a model on page 19 of the latest Victoria's Secret catalog, is our in house haut couture advisor.  What does that say?

user38

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2013, 09:07:50 pm »

Hi
    I've been using a Media Center user since version 12 blah blah blah.  My main computer in my living room attached to my HDTV.  Over the last few months I have been going through a process of ripping my DVDs and Blu Rays and my main use of Media Center is to play TV shows and movies.

I really like the video player in MC but it is not as configurable as some of the other software players out there (and I know there are probably technical reasons for this).  Having said that there are two options that I would really really like

• I would like an option to assign the mouse wheel so that it dedicated to the volume control.  At the moment it defaults to advancing the video which, for me, is not as useful as a volume control (and I know the mouse wheel changes to a volume control if you mouse over the volume slider)
  • I would like an option to switch off the on screen display or to control how long it stays on the screen. 

A dedicated subtitle hot key would also be nice but, since my main input device is my moues I can live without it. 

Stephen

AVTechMan

• World Citizen
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2013, 01:36:38 am »

Its been a long while since i've posted here, but I am interested to see what MC19 has to offer. Hopefully it will offer more improvements in the video side, especially with TV and the Ceton where I can possibly dump WMC for good. I've bought MC16 and upgraded to MC17, so I will probably make the upgrade to 19 once more is known what will be in this version. It will give me plenty of time to test and work with it.

I am also hoping that MC19 will integrate pretty well to install on Windows Server 2012 Essentials since that's what I am currently testing right now on one of my server boxes. An all-in-one setup for all of my media and networking needs.

thezone

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2013, 01:47:24 am »

Ive already bought mine but I would really like to see a fully remote control option, I still have not been able to completely remove the mouse form the equation.

v_erich

• World Citizen
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2013, 06:06:16 am »

Hi, bought 19 Registration yesterday ;-)

I want more features for Theater View, especially for scrapping the data (from German speaking websites please possible), great would be like Yadis for Dune Media Players.
Maybe I can JRiver then also in my homecinema, but now its to "easy", no german descriptions, no good possibilities to edit the Cover flow...

Best Regards,
Erich

JustinChase

• MC Beta Team
  • Getting older every day
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2013, 09:27:28 am »

Hopefully it will offer more improvements in the video side, especially with TV and the Ceton...

I am also hoping that MC19 will integrate pretty well to install on Windows Server 2012 Essentials since that's what I am currently testing right now on one of my server boxes...

I don't have a Ceton, but I thought yaobing just got the Ceton working with v18 (maybe it was a different device though).  I do know that it's been a focus to get better TV support, so I think it's certainly possible you'll see this working one day.

As for your server request, I'm really hoping this is the year that we get a Linux server for my unRAID setup.  With the Mac version they've shown they've got much of the code working on another platform, and Linux was mentioned as a possible next step some time back, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It should be another fun ride :)
pretend this is something funny

daveg

• World Citizen
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 10:00:05 am »

Just purchased upgrade. Don't really need to....was happy with v16 but have upgraded with everyrelease cause it is such great software.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2013, 10:14:23 am »

MrC, who is a model on page 19 of the latest Victoria's Secret catalog, is our in house haut couture advisor.  What does that say?
Oh man, my side hurts from laughing so hard!

Honestly, I think you'd all be better off using these chicks for eye candy:

http://www.vegansoapbox.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/chicks-eggs.jpg

I happily upgraded last night. Can't wait to see what comes next, and thanks for all you guys do to keep the frontier spirit alive!

Living Stereo

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2013, 10:52:40 am »

A change Log and list of new features would be nice, Upgrading blindly is not going to do it for me.

jimmy neutron

• World Citizen
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2013, 11:40:26 am »

I'd like to see fully integrated cloud based music playback. Google music, Amazon music, etc. Also, JRiver really needs to figure a way to get more music streaming services integrated in MC....like Pandora, MOG, Spotify, etc. I know there are contractual obligations with those companies, but if other media players can do this JRiver should do this too. MC18 is already stable and has all the hi end features that maybe 95% of it's target would want/need. Small incremental improvements don't warrant an upgrade for most people. Having these features would be a worthy upgrade and an evolution of MC. Personally, MC 18 has been rock solid and literally perfect for my rigs, and even though I will purchase v19, whether said features are included or not, I really hope they can work thru and include these.

BTW, always......ALWAYS....support these guys. Their software is beyond comparison.

Jimmy
Custom PC based music systems and information panels....really.
www.jdsmarthome.com

kstuart

• Upgraded to MC22 Master using preorder discount
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2013, 01:53:26 pm »

MC19 upgrade purchased !

( The first software company I worked for, charged $56,000 a year for upgrades, so this is only 0.034% of that cost.  ;) )

thezone wrote: "Ive already bought mine but I would really like to see a fully remote control option, I still have not been able to completely remove the mouse form the equation."

And conversely, I would like to see slightly better mouse support.

Just supporting an option for "pause on left click in display view" (as in MPC-HC and other players) would be very helpful.

Arindelle

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2013, 05:16:10 am »

Also, JRiver really needs to figure a way to get more music streaming services integrated in MC....like Pandora, MOG, Spotify, etc.
I'm in Europe but I set up Spotify, Grooveshark, NPR Radio in standard view (limited function for NPR if you have an account due to pop up media player I admit). Can't do MOG because France is locked out. I just go and setup a new "Connected Media" Account.

Regardless, I'm signing up -- I have never been more pleased with software that is constantly using its resources to improve and be available to their users -- even on weekends!! Patient searching (and lurking^^) here on the forum has resolved almost all of my problems and queries.

When I really did have a problem a couple of months ago - I got direct help and fast from "real" people (the "A Team" as I put it ;D and other users who read my logs right away and put up with my walls of text even. That one fix is worth the upgrade for me. Ever try getting help with from Asus about their bios, or paid AV soft forums, or Blizzard for you gamers paying 13$ a month, and Microsoft?! -- jeez won't even go there.

Also its not altruistic, there are steady if not always noticeable improvements. I have spent a great deal of time tweaking my system and investing in tagging my collection around JRiver since version15 I think. I want to insure MC stays the best.

And sure hope they make a bunch of money -- they've earned it in spades. Sort of doubt they have a fleet of chauffeur-driven Bentleys though :P Recruit your friends, and set it up for them - a nice gift idea btw.

A give-away at this price!  8)

flydeep

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2013, 11:55:57 am »

+1 for an UNRAID version

I don't have a Ceton, but I thought yaobing just got the Ceton working with v18 (maybe it was a different device though).  I do know that it's been a focus to get better TV support, so I think it's certainly possible you'll see this working one day.

As for your server request, I'm really hoping this is the year that we get a Linux server for my unRAID setup.  With the Mac version they've shown they've got much of the code working on another platform, and Linux was mentioned as a possible next step some time back, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

It should be another fun ride :)
--
Win 8.1 Pro (GTX 960, BENQ HT1075), Win 10 Pro (GTX 950, Sony KDLW900A) KVMs on Unraid 6.1.9, 8GB DDR3 +2 vCPU each, i7-4790, Asrock Z97 ex6, Denon 3313CI, Emotiva XPA5 amp, KEF Q900s, 600c, Mirage OMD15s, PSA 3x XS30SE

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2013, 07:20:03 pm »

I'd say this new post will give you a clue:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=81980.0

Even comes with its own discussion board.. gotta love that action .. ;)
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 03:39:47 am »

Keep in mind that this list includes only features already implemented, and it will grow over the coming weeks and month, so this is not the final MC19 feature list, its only a snapshot of what is already finished. As history of previous MC relases shows, many more things to come!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up