INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: multi channel amp or integrated receiver ? Advice Needed  (Read 1962 times)

thmpi

• Recent member
multi channel amp or integrated receiver ? Advice Needed
« on: July 12, 2013, 09:26:41 pm »

this is my first venture into HT - been using MC since v12 for audio only so please excuse the noobiness

I have a silent Windows 7 music server running jriver mc18 which is now surplus so want to place in living room and use as a HT PC. I also have a spare Arcam Rdac.
Am i right in thinking that a possible setup is PC > DAC > 5 channel Amp > Speakers and that jriver will do all the decoding (ie: i dont need to buy a HT receiver)

if so whats a good amp for a entry level/intermediate setup (dont want high end at this stage) 

cheers guys

kstich

• Recent member
Re: multi channel amp or integrated receiver ? Advice Needed
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2013, 11:44:00 pm »

Check out Emotiva. Good quality amps. I have an XPA-5 and it was a nice step up from a comparably rated Denon AVR.

pineim

• Synergy
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:36:44 pm »

Another plug for Emotiva, I have a XPA-2 to power my mains and have the Yamaha receiver handle the rears, center and surrounds, the thing is a powerhouse and was very reasonably priced around 1K less than big name stuff. I want to get a XP-3 to drive the mains and the center then use the -2 for the rears let the Yamaha send signal to subs and amp the surrounds.

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/amplifiers/emotiva-xpa-2

check this link out, it's the review that made up my mind to get it and was not disappointed.
Yamaha RX-V2500,Emotiva XPA-2,Axiom M-6's,M-22's,VP-100,EP-350'S-2. Win 7 Ultimate 64bit, i7-2600K, 16 GB ddr3 ram, Intel Mobo, & lots of other fun stuff.

kiwi

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Don't worry, be happy...
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2013, 12:46:31 am »

I'll also throw in the suggestion of emotiva.

Either the XPA-5, or the UPA-500 or UPA-700
http://shop.emotiva.com/

I'd also checkout them on the used market, they have transferable warranties and you can get some good deals.
Pages: [1]   Go Up