INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Asus Essence One on MC18 - Audio skips / pop noise  (Read 4417 times)

Renzero

• Recent member
Asus Essence One on MC18 - Audio skips / pop noise
« on: July 17, 2013, 12:13:55 pm »

Hi,
I am new here  ;D
I recently bought an Asus essence one. Pretty excited with it.
However, I am having some problem while running FLAC files on MC18. The audio skips and plenty of pop noise.

I am not sure if anyone encountered the same problem in the past.

I tried running a mkv/avi video, it's pretty much the same problems.

My setup is simple
HD555 >> Asus essence one (latest drivers and firmwares available) >> USB3.0 of my computer (running MC18 with ASIO driver)

Any help and advice will be much appreciated!

Renzero

• Recent member
Re: Asus Essence One on MC18 - Audio skips / pop noise
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 06:36:40 am »

Thank you.

I did a few of things which I think it improve the shuttering somehow.

1. I connected the Essence One to a USB 2.0 port instead of 3.0.
2. I cant really run ASIO or DS. The audio shuttering still exist on/off, and I cant really increase the latency above 20ms. In another word, anything 30ms and above, it returned with error "Playback has requested multiple restart". So under ASIO, shuttering still exist.
3. I tried WASAPI, the shuttering is virtually gone. But I do noticed that ASIO is cleaner on my ears.. or maybe it's just my perception.

So I wonder if anything else I can do to make the Essence One play well with ASIO

Thank you very much in advance.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 02:45:29 pm »

My current settings
I'm using windows 8 with the windows 8 driver

I experience a slight static/pop noise when first starting to play audio and also when switching between 24 bit and 16 bit tracks. Its not loud and after changing settings for the last hour nothing fixed it.
Other than the split second of noise when first starting I have zero problems. Sounds great and no skipping or noises.

"Use large hardware buffers" needs to be unchecked but other than that i don't find that other setting change anything.
Buffering doesn't do anything for me(that i notice) so i leave it low.
Latency doesn't do anything for me(that i notice) so i leave it low.
I can change both of these setting to anything and it still works fine.

When I used windows 7, I had problems with driver 7.0.11.5. It skipped like you describe.
I went back to driver 7.0.8.2158 and everything worked fine.
Maybe you could try this.

Hopefully something here can be of some help.

Renzero

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:43:13 am »

Thank you. This really helpful.
Indeed I agree with you that the pop noise and shuttering isnt loud, they happened while changing tracks, at the same time while playing it. it's kind of annoying lol...
I am too on Windows 8, it's just weird that WASAPI actually performs better in terms of eliminating this problem.

Changing the prebuffering setting from 6s to 20s seems improving the shuttering a little.

BTW, I am streaming my musing from my NAS at home with a LAN connection of 1Gbps.
I tried putting some music on my local SSD, it's not really helping a lot... I guess I will stick with WASAPI to minimise the shuttering.. unless there's a better solution.

I have asked ASUS the same question, they are not helpful. They just told me to reinstall the driver (which I did for countless times), or RMA my product (which I do not think anything wrong with it).

Renzero

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 01:16:16 am »

Another finding.

I uninstalled the Asus driver (the one with ASIO driver).
I then let Windows 8 automatically installed the windows default driver, and guess what... the shuttering sound is totally gone on DS or WASAPI (using the driver supplied by Asus, I still hear pop noises/shuttering at the beginning of each track, just not as bad as ASIO).

I am not sure what is the difference between windows8 default driver vs the one from directly Asus... and I am not sure which one is better as they both having the same version number 8.0.11.8.

Renzero

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 02:25:56 am »

I am getting crazy..
After I tested with the windows8 default driver, I reinstalled the Asus driver. and now WASAPI refused to work.

I am getting error:
Something went wrong with playback
Details:
Playback could not be started as the output 'WASAPI' using the format '44kHz 16bit 2ch'
This output format may noy be supported by your hardware ... ...

I reinstalled drivers - WASAPI not working
I reinstalled windows default - WASAPI working
I reinstalled MC18 - WASAPI not working
No changes done on MC18 after clean reinstall. everything default.

Control panel sound setting default at 16bit 44kHz

Anyone help?

Renzero

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 04:17:55 am »

Ok.. I solved the USB issues by swapping them around, and it disappear after sometimes.. I do not know what actually caused this.
My friend told me that my audio shuttering issue most likely caused by the fact that I am connecting the E1 into a laptop. The processor isnt powerful enough to do the job. I am not sure how true is it, because I have disabled all power-savings mode, running the laptop on high-performance setting.

My laptop is running on the latest Haswell processor i7-4750HQ with 16gb of RAM.

What's your take guys?

Thanks in advance.

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:45 pm »

Sorry, I have nothing to suggest for you. I'm no expert at this stuff.
When I find some time I'll mess around with my DAC some more.

I don't remember any noise when I used windows 7 so I suspect its a driver issue with windows 8.
Just an idea though, maybe I'm wrong. Again, I'm no expert.

Good luck

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2013, 07:19:21 pm »

I minimized my clicks and pops to the point where i don't really notice them.

I use Internal volume in MC and typically leave my Asus Xonar Essence One at the same volume all the time.
Lately the volume has been about half way (12 O Clock) and MC has replay gain set at -7 or so. I can hear the clicks.
I don't remember why I had it set this way, but its not important.

I just set the replay gain to fixed at 10 and my Dac volume at about the 9:30 position.
Volume is about equal to before but the clicks/pops are almost nonexistent.
This also fixes my annoyance that my video was way louder than my audio.

I tried 3 other players with ASIO on 2 different computers(both Windows 8) and they all clicked/popped the same.
So I am still guessing this is a driver issue.

If I find more time, maybe ill try using one of the digital inputs.

Pages: [1]   Go Up