INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Better detection of ISO movie files [feedback appreciated]  (Read 2360 times)

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Better detection of ISO movie files [feedback appreciated]
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:26:24 pm »

I've never been a fan of storing a movie as an ISO, because it makes it difficult for us to do some things that should be easy like work with multiple movies at once, thumbnail or analyze a movie in the background, play the movie through Library Server, etc.

However, I'm hoping to make one small improvement for ISO users that might help a little: automatically detect a DVD or Blu-ray movie ISO and correctly set the media type, media sub type, and (optionally) search for cover art, and (optionally) lookup online metadata.

To do this, we're going to write a simple ISO guesser to decide if an ISO is a DVD, Bluray, or something else.

I first was planning to gate based on the file size, since this is fast to check.  Then, if the file size looks like it could be a DVD or Bluray, we'll read the first little bit and search the table of contents for markers.

I had mentioned creating a full ISO parser in another thread, but we only have UDF writing and not reading code, so I think we'll do a simple approach like looking for index.bdmv in the first 1MB of data to start.

My question is what are the valid size ranges for DVD and Bluray ISO files?  I'm not sure if the ISO file removes empty sectors or not?

As a starting point:
DVD: 1GB - 10GB
Bluray: 5GB-60GB

If you could look at your ISO files and help me update that range, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

lise

• MC Beta Team
Re: Better detection of ISO movie files [feedback appreciated]
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 03:39:40 pm »

Those are the ranges I have.
I do have some smaller ISOs but those are for bonus material.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

C-FMC

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 04:26:16 pm »

personally i would love an option to select a Player for external players like tmt5,tmt6 etc when selecting an BD or DVD .iso file

Example:
as you know some are cinavia protected discs so an option to select tmt5 instead of the default tmt6 would be awesome!

for now i use the send to option if i want to play it on another BD Player
Play (To mount the iso to VCD):Take no action:send to:send to (external):tmt5

hopefully this can be an option in the future?

best regards
C-FMC

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »

I have been working to move away from ISO files, but of the ones that remain, DVDs are in the range of 3.4–7.9GB (I don't think they can be larger than this) and Blu-rays are in the range of 11.7–46.4GB.
I don't seem to recall seeing a Blu-ray any larger than 47.x GB.

The reason I liked ISO was because it required no decision making at the time of ripping the disk, unlike ripping to MKV with a tool like MakeMKV where I have to find the right title and check playback to see which subtitle files I need etc, and I know that I'm not going to be losing anything.
At some point, Nevcariel mentioned he would consider adding support for LAV Filters to read the downmix metadata from the Dolby/DTS tracks, and I don't know if this is something that MakeMKV preserves at all, for example. (it certainly won't if you converted to FLAC)

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 04:49:25 pm »

The reason I liked ISO was because it required no decision making at the time of ripping the disk

Exactly why I use them too. Plus I like having the exact image to work with. If I want to create VOBs later or convert to something else I always have the image to work with. Yeah, I know, I can just use my original, but that involves going upstairs and finding it on a huge dvd/bluray shelf and I'm extremely lazy. I don't even watch the original disks for that reason. I sit my arse in my theatre and select the film in MC Theatre view. Works great.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 04:57:36 pm »

Maybe this is of some use:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8832031/udf-filesystem-reading-bluray-metadata-partition-libdvdread-with-iso-images

http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/isoreader/index.php?title=Main_Page

I've never been a fan of storing a movie as an ISO, because it makes it difficult for us to do some things that should be easy like work with multiple movies at once, thumbnail or analyze a movie in the background, play the movie through Library Server, etc.

However, I'm hoping to make one small improvement for ISO users that might help a little: automatically detect a DVD or Blu-ray movie ISO and correctly set the media type, media sub type, and (optionally) search for cover art, and (optionally) lookup online metadata.

To do this, we're going to write a simple ISO guesser to decide if an ISO is a DVD, Bluray, or something else.

I first was planning to gate based on the file size, since this is fast to check.  Then, if the file size looks like it could be a DVD or Bluray, we'll read the first little bit and search the table of contents for markers.

I had mentioned creating a full ISO parser in another thread, but we only have UDF writing and not reading code, so I think we'll do a simple approach like looking for index.bdmv in the first 1MB of data to start.

My question is what are the valid size ranges for DVD and Bluray ISO files?  I'm not sure if the ISO file removes empty sectors or not?

As a starting point:
DVD: 1GB - 10GB
Bluray: 5GB-60GB

If you could look at your ISO files and help me update that range, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 06:44:07 pm »

For what it is worth, the Virtual Clone Drive devs initially also used size assumptions to determine if a disc was a DVD or BD but in the end had to move to parsing part of the ISO to determine what the contents were as there were too many exceptions to the assumptions to make them reliable.  For example, I have a BD that is under 2GB.  Also an ISO could be a CD, HD-DVD or just a bunch of "stuff".

FYI - Win 8 also includes a ISO parser built in.
JRiver CEO Elect

syndromeofadown

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 01:20:37 pm »

An option would be to use Carnac solely.
MC could look for key words in the file path like blu, dvd, data, etc.

I believe I currently have to select iso's after import and 'rebuild thumbnail' to get cover art to show up.
I use folder.jpg. It would be great if thumbnails were built automatically.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 03:33:03 pm »

An option would be to use Carnac solely.
MC could look for key words in the file path like blu, dvd, data, etc.
I either use the filename that the disc has, or rename it to the film's title if it's some kind of catalog number. I would not be renaming my files to include blu/dvd/data.

I believe I currently have to select iso's after import and 'rebuild thumbnail' to get cover art to show up.
I use folder.jpg. It would be great if thumbnails were built automatically.
This works automatically for me.
Pages: [1]   Go Up