INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Movie - Shows - Tags  (Read 2901 times)

jondavis

• World Citizen
Movie - Shows - Tags
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:49:03 am »

Well it seems that the program knows what many of my movies are.
I'm guessing by the folder or name on the file not sure.
And it looks like some tags have info already.
Which tags are most used for movies and shows?
And if you see no info on your file, is there a way to find a movie in a database to add tag info?

jondavis

• World Citizen
Re: Movie - Shows - Tags
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 01:06:34 am »

Wow, it can update my movie tags.
Not to many programs do this.
Right click the file and click get movie and tv info

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 07:04:22 am »

Correct. I'm just learning like you, but since installing MC I have been using it to work my way through all my music, movies and TV shows, fixing tags, adding info from the internet and so on.

I had a real mess of TV shows on disk, and have been able to tag Series, Season, and Episode correctly either from messy inconsistent file names or manually (but in bulk), then get info on each file, and also rename files based on the new tags, and even move them to new directories, rename directories, and so on. No doubt this capability was created to handle large music databases, but it works great with other media as well.

My next step, after getting a remote app working to my satisfaction, is to start looking at custom views and customising the Theatre views. I suspect you may be doing that soon as well, with new tags for all your show categories, and then creating extra menu levels below the Theatre View "Show" level, one for each category, then attaching views to each that just display that category of show. I will be setting up a "Recorded TV" view, as opposed to "TV Shows" sourced elsewhere, or moved from "Recorded TV" to "TV Shows" when I want to keep them for a while. So under "Shows" I will be able to select "Recorded TV" or "TV Shows", and therefore find and manage recent TV recordings easier.

I believe that all this is possible in J River Media Center. It isn't perfect, and there is a big learning curve initially, but it looks like the possibilities are endless, which is why I think MC is the right solution for me . . . If only the handling of TV was a bit better, and media could be streamed to any device including iPhones, iPads, Android and Windows 8 tables.  ;D

Enjoy.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

jondavis

• World Citizen
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2013, 04:24:52 pm »

I guess the next big question is, if I move to another computer is there some files to take with me to remember all my tags.

MrC

• Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2013, 04:31:31 pm »

Values are placed in two locations:

- inside the MC Library
   - inside the media file if possible, and if not, in a sidecar file

The sidecar files are stored along side the media files.

If you go to a new computer, you'll move both your Library and the media file folder tree.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2013, 07:15:57 pm »

True, but moving the Library doesn't seem to be as straight forward as taking one of the Library backups and restoring it into a new installation of MC on a new PC.

My Library backups ( in \\PC-Name\Users\UserID\Documents\JRiver\Media Center 18\Library Backups\ ) are under 2MB at the moment (compressed), but the Library ( in \\PC-Name\Users\UserID\AppData\Roaming\J River\ ) itself including all files is about 560MB, as it includes other stuff which is not included in the backup.

Actually, I have Album Cover Art set to be placed "in the same folder as the file", but there is still some in the \\PC-Name\Users\UserID\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 18\Cover Art\ directory. That must have happened when MC started analysing my music before I stopped it and set the Cover Art options. Now I'm going to have to fix that. Hmmm, I found some images called folder.jpg as well, and I have MC set to use "Album - Artist.jpg". I need to run Cover Art Clean Up. . . . Hmm, that didn't clean up all the files, yet. Something to look at later.

There doesn't appear to be anything in \ProgramData\ though, or anywhere else I can find. Nothing in the \ProgramFiles (x86)\ looks like it is unique to my installation . . . yet. If I start customising I'm hoping that those customisations will be put into the \\PC-Name\Users\UserID\AppData\Roaming\J River\ directory and backed up.

So there are a few things to think about, especially if you haven't changed the default locations for some files using the MC Options settings. I guess there may be a Wiki on all this. :)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up