INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC18 for Windows 2000?  (Read 941 times)

DanielF

MC18 for Windows 2000?
« on: July 19, 2013, 12:52:06 am »

If MC18 does all that's claimed, I want to buy it!  But first I have to try it to confirm it does what I want.

The download page states: "JRiver Media Center 18 Ver. 18.0.206, 22.8MB. Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows Home Server, & Windows 8."  So I downloaded it onto my Windows 2000 Pro SP4 system and tried to install it.

After unpacking the archive, the following error message appears:
7-Zip:
%1 is not a valid Win32 application.

I also tried unzipping the downloaded file and directly running the Install.exe file (and a few other likely exe's), but they all produce a similar error message.  In my experience this occurs when an application has been compiled with a library later than that for Windows 2000, maybe referencing a dll that doesn't exist (or is vastly different) in Win2k.

Can anyone tell me whether MC18 can indeed run under Win2k, and if so, how?  Or have JRiver lied about its compatibility? :-)

Rgds, Daniel
(Gerroa, Australia)

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC18 for Windows 2000?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 12:57:50 am »

I don't think MC18 will work with Windows 2000, since JRiver uses Visual Studio 2012 now, which only barely supports XP as it is.
Visual Studio 2008 was the last version that officially supported targeting Windows 2000 with its builds.

The compatibility list on the download page was probably just forgotten to be updated properly at some point.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC18 for Windows 2000?
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 12:58:32 pm »

Windows 2000 is no longer supported.

I have updated the download page to reflect this.

As nevcairiel said, it's basically impossible to use modern development tools and create applications that run on W2K.  Microsoft tried to remove XP support from VS2012, but then added it back begrudgingly.

Sorry for any confusion.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up