INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help File  (Read 2103 times)

lise

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Help File
« on: March 20, 2002, 01:16:29 pm »

The help file is still in progress, but you will have the basics of it with v8.0.231

I could use your help.  If you see anything in it that is wrong, badly worded, or missing, please post it here.  Thanks for all your help.
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

dragyn

RE:Help File
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2002, 01:23:42 pm »

Nice job on the help file. I'm sure it will help a lot of ppl.

sdgrizdan

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 02:22:30 pm »

Typo (loader instead of louder) in Help File v. 8.0.231 under the topic of normalization and the sentence seems to be poorly worded:

"On the other hand, normalization isn't always a good choice on CD's where certain tracks are intended to be a lot loader or quieter than other."

Harry The Hipster

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2002, 02:35:55 pm »

(cloned from another thread).
Really like the new Help file - much more logically ordered and much more accessible for the technologically inept. Congratulations, Lise.....great job.

HTH

sekim

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2002, 02:38:45 pm »

>technologically inept.

ThIt WoOD beE Me.

sekim

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2002, 03:05:14 pm »

In the HOW TO- 'view and edit visualizations' book it shows 'disable visualizations'. Latest build doesn't have that feature, is it coming back? Otherwise this looks great, from a technologically inept perspective. Next Page

ZRocker

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2002, 05:13:08 pm »

Typos:
1. Cop/Paste (Right-click Pop-up Menus)
2. Deleter (somewhere)

Wrong Info:
1. Per-Track Equalization does NOT exist in MJ 8.0!
2. The Media Jukebox Screen graphic has the arrow for Playing Now splitter bar pointing to the Visualization toolbar menu...the splitter is the thin bar just below it

hvy duty

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2002, 05:33:07 pm »

Lise
Good job don't worry about the typo we have people that just pick (nothing else to do I guess) I have been a long time asking for a help file which I think would be a big asset to MJ you deserve a lot of credit for what you are doing keep up the good work.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2002, 05:40:59 pm »

Thanks hvy duty.  But really, I actually do want reports of typos and all the nitpicky stuff.  It is still a draft, and I ran a spellcheck, but they don't always work.  I've already picked up on a number of errors, and that's fine.  As I said, it's still a draft.  So as many typos/errors/omissions as I can get, the better the help file will be when I'm finally done.

Of course, I am also thrilled by the compliments Next Page  Thanks Dragyn, MachineHead, and Harry the Hipster.  I too much prefer this way of organizing it.  I'm sure there's still lots of room for improvement, but this was a step in the right direction, I think.

So keep the comments coming.  The more you say, the more time I save!
A wise man once said don't count your years, but make your years count. Or was it beers?

Easyrider

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2002, 05:42:56 pm »

Learning alot from the new help files.

Found typo in Playback Settings.
Thats the way I would look at my wife when she would spell check me!!!

Duration This works in coordination with your choice of Playback Mode. If you choose cross-face, for example, this option will specify the duration of the cross-fade.

lise

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2002, 05:49:20 pm »

DISCLAIMER:  All the typos that make you laugh were put there on purpose for the benefit of the beta-testing community's general health.

Cmagic

• Enjoying life with a little music....
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2002, 03:37:07 am »

Bravo Lise !

One think :
in the Smartlist Rules/search modifiers page for the ~d modifier maybe the concept
of 'database' (main, CD, temporary) should be explained so that new users don't mix it
with 'libraries'. (which is what I believed when this new modifier appeared !)

A part cela, this is a very nice, complete and useful help ressource.
You probably spent a lot of time writing it.

thanks for you help (file)
Until the color of a man's skin is of no more significance
than the color of his eyes.
Bob Marley (War)

ZRocker

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2002, 03:46:50 am »

Lise,

If it's not there already, you might think about documenting ID3v1 and ID3v2 support in relation to the Plug-In manager's Input Plug-Ins.  I'm talking about the settings (for example) that are off the MP3 Input Plug-In's configure screen.  It's a 'hard' item to find (but in the right place now) and a little help topic on this would help (I think).  If this info is in the help already, I didn't see it (sorry)...but, I didn't look that hard either.

Gatobrit

• Home Theatre, Walking, Fischer Bitter
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2002, 05:13:20 am »

lise - great work on the help file!

In the player info it mentions Replay Gain but it doesn't really explain what it is or how it works etc. I don't think you need to get too technical if you choose to add something, however, a link to the Properties / Tools / Analyze Replay Gain piece may give folks more indication of what it is and how to set it up.
Namaste,
John

ZRocker

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2002, 05:36:09 am »

I think an explanation of Diskwriter mode (under Playback Mode option) is in order too.  Tell the users what it does and why they'd want to use it (for utilimately burning cool, cross-faded CDs from the .WAV files it produces).  Also, warn the user not have Continuous set ON as it will fill up their disk drive if they don't manually stop/kill MJ's playback.

Doof

• MC Beta Team
  • Farm Animal Stupid
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2002, 10:07:29 am »

Here's a few things I found while skimming through the Help for Settings. Great job, by the way. Next Page

Settings - General : No mention of "Automatically import files into Media Library"

Settings - Playback : The "Between Tracks" section doesn't agree 100% with what's actually there.

Settings - Playback : No mention of the "Stop" setting.

Settings - Tree & View : Customize Toolbar - you can also access this via right click on the toolbar and selecting "Customize"

Settings - Tree & View : Track # for Albums section is incomplete (just in case you forgot).

Settings - Tree & View : Select Font section has some funky wording.

sekim

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2002, 07:33:27 am »

With the recent addition of the DSP studio, could there be a possiblity of working a section into the help file on its use?  Not long ago I had to blunder thru its workings, and just thought before final release a section on how it works may save somebody else the headache. This, of course, is if the MJ team is going to leave the DSP studio as is.

Sorry guys, still pushing for buttons that highlight to bring up the selected choice.
Pages: [1]   Go Up