INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Setting up folders  (Read 1221 times)

Cyisone

Setting up folders
« on: July 19, 2013, 02:21:20 pm »

Sorry if this has been asked but I am a newbie. I have all of my music set up in folders on my hard drive. I feed my stereo hard wire from my pc. I have all of the folder set up the way I want the so when I pull it up on my tv it is organized by the folders just like it was set up on my hard drive. I can't seem to do the same with media center 18. When I pull up the media server on my stereo it has reorganized the songs into a mass that is impossible to navigate. What am I doing wrong?!

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
Re: Setting up folders
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 03:06:36 pm »

Hi there.

it sounds like a DLNA device you are using, so you make changes under Tools > Options > Media Network > Add or configure DLNA servers > Customize views.

You can create a new view under Audio.  Click the Add button, and add a new Library Item.  Click OK, and perhaps name it Path.

Now, on the right, click Add and select File Path as the Type, and OK your way out of the dialogs.

Renavigate from the root of your device back to the MC DLNA server, and under Audio, you should now see your folders by path.

If you want to start the path lower down in the your folder structure, go back in and change the location by editing the Location under Show Categories In This Order, and Browse to the highest level folder you want.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.

Cyisone

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 01:19:22 am »

I have done this.  However, when I use my PC as a media server and run it through my stereo which is also hooked to mr tv, the list which is shown on the tv is basically 10,000 song, artist, playlist etc.  It is automatically sorting my music into one of these categories versus leaving it as is and just showing the folders.

MrC

• Citizen of the Universe
  • Your life is short. Give me your money.
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 02:07:23 pm »

DLNA allows the server to present a series of "containers".  That is, a collection of items, grouped into a folder-like fashion.  A DLNA device is supposed to query for these containers, and present them to the controller.

If you've configured MC as mentioned above, then MC will be presenting a sequence of grouped folders, and these should be presented on your device (thus mirroring your file system layout).

However, every device seems to treat DLNA differently, and some refuse to present files in the container format configured by the server.  You'll have to explore configuring MC's DLNA views to see what your device supports.  If it is restrictive in this area, there is little you can do.
The opinions I express represent my own folly.
Pages: [1]   Go Up