INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Crossover Help please  (Read 1158 times)

Buckster

• Recent member
Crossover Help please
« on: July 21, 2013, 11:46:03 am »

sure I've a setting wrong somewhere - thought I'd take advantage of the very sophisticated audio processing inside JRiver to give me varied crossovers for different speakers in my setup.  My Pioneer only allows a single fixed Crossover - which is annoying

so instead of straight bitstreaming to my receiver - I am decoding, then outputing as D.Digital 640kbps (legacy receiver)

all fine (and great) - except when I try and use the crossovers in JRiver instead of my amp

Amp end: set all speakers to "Large", and Subwoofer to "On" - basically so that the crossovers on amp are disabled, and that the Amp will only output to sub any sounds actually on the subwoofer channel

JRiver:

output mode  set to 5.1 and send as D.Digital ticked,  subwoofer setting set to "silent - send bass using room correction"

Room Correction Enabled - and for each speaker I've chosen a crossover (40 for fronts for instance), then selected Move Bass to Subwoofer (12dB recommended) and 48dB

all good

except - using content that doesn't have a dedicated LFE channel (so I can hear if the crossover is working or not) - I don't seem to be getting any redirected bass to my subwoofer - in fact if I go to room correction, and select "solo" for the subwoofer channel I can't hear any output from my sub at all.

judging from the overall sound effect - the bass is being redirected from the speakers, but it doesn't seem to be going to the sub ...

any ideas please ?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: Crossover Help please
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 11:54:31 am »

It sounds like you've got a good handle on everything.  So I'm not sure why you're not hearing anything on the subwoofer.

I would try a higher cross-over on the mains to test (like 200) just to see if that gets anything to the subwoofer.

Also, have you balanced the levels to make sure the subwoofer just isn't too quiet?  A decibel meter is best for this, but your phone with an app will also work.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

Buckster

• Recent member
Re: Crossover Help please
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 01:22:43 pm »

thanks for taking time to reply Matt - it seems then its not something obvious I've missed - so I'll do some further testing

subwoofer level is fine for other content, and non-directed bass - its probably set hot if anything

it was just odd that when I set the subwoofer channel to "solo" - literally nothing was coming out - redirected bass wise

I'll reply on the thread when I've worked out what I've set wrong - must be something - but something less obvious :)

thanks again

Pages: [1]   Go Up