INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Why are File Attributes "Read Only"?  (Read 823 times)

astromo

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Why are File Attributes "Read Only"?
« on: July 22, 2013, 01:41:21 am »

Here's the sitch:

Every now and again, I manipulate a file and (I think especially if it's copied/moved to my NAS) Windows will check the read-only box within File Properties without asking me (pesky rodent!). Then, say it's a video file, when I go to automatically grab Movie & TV Info MC gets all out of sorts and flies flags of protest. I have similar arguments if it's an audio file and I want to add cover art.

What I've been doing up until now is to go out into Windows native Explorer, find the file or folder in question and modify the file / folder attributes via the context menu. Ideally it would be handy if I could do this from within MC but from reading the Wiki (at "Read Only"):
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/File_Properties_%28tags%29#P_-_R
Field NameMedia TypesData Type
/ Edit Type
Description
-Read Only
/ readonly=
-Audio Image
/ Video Data
/ TV
-Integer
/ Not editable
-Indicates if the file is read-only. Values: 0, 1
.. that's not an option.

It would be satisfying to know why access to the file attributes are restricted, so as to understand whether it would be realistic to ask for this functionality to be added to MC.

Or maybe I'm a lone voice in the wilderness and I've done something weird to my OS, without knowing I did it, to make Windows super cautious about file attributes ...   ?

If that's the case, feel free to pass on advice to resolve. Thanks in advance.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT
Pages: [1]   Go Up